Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default Is Anderson Silva the greatest fighter of all time?

If you look at the numbers.. it'shard to say "No."

But I feel that the Greatest of All Time.. title should be more about who the fighter is... as well as what the fighter does...

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/4/18/21...er-of-all-time

Quote:
Anderson Silva made his debut in the UFC on June 28, 2006 against Chris Leben at UFC Fight Night 5. He dominated that night, landing every strike he threw and knocking "The Crippler" out (a feat no other fighter had ever accomplished) in just 49 seconds.

He captured the middleweight title in his next fight and hasn't looked back since. Today, he's defended his strap eight times and won an unprecedented 13 fights in a row inside the Octagon.

Is that enough to make him the greatest fighter in the short history of mixed martial arts? His manager, Ed Soares, told MMAWeekly.com the answer is yes.

"What he's done is going to be very difficult for anybody ever to repeat... eight title defenses, 13 consecutive wins in the UFC. I think the way the sport is evolving and how much better these athletes and all these fighters are getting, I think for you to roll off 13 wins consecutively in the UFC is something almost next to impossible. I really truly believe in my heart that Anderson Silva is the greatest fighter of all time."

Well ... is he?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 PM
rearnakedchoke

not yet .. but if he keeps this up, yes he is ..
Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 AM

No. That was pretty easy.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 AM

wihtout personal bias which everyone includng me has you got to say yes... The man has broken all title defense records and has gone undefeated 5 years in the ufc without losing...

Only thing that hurts him is hes done it in the ufc's second weakest division besides hw
Old 04-20-2011, 05:58 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
If you look at the numbers.. it'shard to say "No."

But I feel that the Greatest of All Time.. title should be more about who the fighter is... as well as what the fighter does...

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/4/18/21...er-of-all-time
Who is Anderson Silva in your opinion, and more importantly, how does that effect his accomplishments as a mixed martial artist?

Sugar Ray Robinson is widely considered the "greatest of all time" when it comes to boxing, and many people say he used to beat his wife and kids. Muhammad Ali is also called the "GOAT", but some people see him as a draft dodging loud mouth.

These kind of debates need to focus on in ring accomplishments first and foremost in my opinion because that's ultimately what we are talking about. Sure, a guy like Edwin Valero isn't gonna get much love in the history books after killing his wife and committing suicide in a jail cell, and nobody with a sound mind would condone his actions. However, the fact is that he still knocked out 27 people in a row inside of 10 rounds, and that is a heck of an accomplishment for any fighter. My point is that this isn't supposed to be a popularity or morality contest, it's a sport in which we try to determine who the best fighter is.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Who is Anderson Silva in your opinion, and more importantly, how does that effect his accomplishments as a mixed martial artist?

Sugar Ray Robinson is widely considered the "greatest of all time" when it comes to boxing, and many people say he used to beat his wife and kids. Muhammad Ali is also called the "GOAT", but some people see him as a draft dodging loud mouth.

These kind of debates need to focus on in ring accomplishments first and foremost in my opinion because that's ultimately what we are talking about. Sure, a guy like Edwin Valero isn't gonna get much love in the history books after killing his wife and committing suicide in a jail cell, and nobody with a sound mind would condone his actions. However, the fact is that he still knocked out 27 people in a row inside of 10 rounds, and that is a heck of an accomplishment for any fighter. My point is that this isn't supposed to be a popularity or morality contest, it's a sport in which we try to determine who the best fighter is.
I agree; we watch them and talk about them because they are very good or great at their sport. I think Anderson definitely deserves credit for what he's accomplished so far; but I also think it's too early for him to get the title of "greatest fighter of all time" just yet.

As soon as I read the last sentence of your post,
Quote:
My point is that this isn't supposed to be a popularity or morality contest, it's a sport in which we try to determine who the best fighter is.
one name immediately popped into my head, and I thought, boy, this is going to come back to bite him in the butt!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

See that's where I disagree...

GOAT is (IMO) is more for the all around person.. than "the deeds" that got them noticed...

Ali is a little different as he was against the war.. and in my mind, standing up for what you belive in.. is just as important and "in ring accomplishments".

Is Jordan the greatest basketball player.. Byrd? GREAT people...What about Dennis Rodman.. if his stats are better than Jordan's do you consider him a better player??

Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron...other great people.. as I understand.. but there were a LOT of strikeouts.. no one pays attention to the "other other factors).. and IMO.. GOAT is about the person..

I understand what you mean.. I just don't see it that way...
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Yes
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
See that's where I disagree...

GOAT is (IMO) is more for the all around person.. than "the deeds" that got them noticed...

Ali is a little different as he was against the war.. and in my mind, standing up for what you belive in.. is just as important and "in ring accomplishments".

Is Jordan the greatest basketball player.. Byrd? GREAT people...What about Dennis Rodman.. if his stats are better than Jordan's do you consider him a better player??

Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron...other great people.. as I understand.. but there were a LOT of strikeouts.. no one pays attention to the "other other factors).. and IMO.. GOAT is about the person..

I understand what you mean.. I just don't see it that way...
Jordan is without a doubt the greatest basketball player to ever live, but he also has been known to have a gambling problem and supposedly cheated on his wife quite a bit before they divorced. Babe Ruth was a drunk and a womanizer, I'm sure there are negative things about every single person that you could think of to mention, because they are all human beings and none of us are perfect.

If it's more about a person's positive qualities in their personalities and personal life decisions than it is about accomplishments in the sport itself, then why even bother keeping statistics or counting wins and losses? That's the reason the onus needs to stay with something solid in the forefront, such as statistics in my opinion. Obviously, GOAT is a debate that is filled with people's personal opinions, as it should be, and I do agree that a person's bad qualities can negatively effect their legacy. However, when we start picking who we think is the best based on personalities before accomplishments, we start to undermine the entire point of the discussion.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
one name immediately popped into my head,
Who is that?