Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Dethbob

Default Why did David lie?

In 2 Samuel 7 and 1 Chronicles 17 David asks Nathan the prophet whether he should build a temple for God, and Nathan, knowing all pertinent details of Davidís relationship with God, tells him to go ahead. Later God corrects this answer, telling him that this is not Davidís role, that his job is to crush Israelís enemies and building the temple will be his sonís job.

Now, in 1 Chronicles 28 David tells Solomon that ĎGod said to me, ĎYou are not to build a house for my Name, because you are a warrior and have shed bloodí.

Solomon doesnít buy it: in 1 Kings 5 and 2 Chronicles 6 when he tells others about his mission to build the temple, his version is almost word for word what God told Nathan, with no mention of blood or any problem with Davidís resume. So, why did David say that?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Maglorius

I am not quite sure what you are confused with. I don't see David lying. David had it in his heart to build the temple, but God had a different plan and that was for Solomon. I am not sure what you mean by "Solomon doesn't buy it." As I read it in 1 Kings 5 and in 2 Chron 6 Solomon does as he was instructed by David and built the temple.

1 Kings 5:3 Solomon states why David couldn't build the temple(he was in the middle of war) and it is saying the same thing in 1 Chron 28:3. So the question becomes, why is this not stated in 2 Chron 6, I am not sure. Maybe because it was already stated previously and as Solomon was addressing the assembly of Israel he just didn't go into all the detail.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Dethbob

My problem is that David seems to be saying that he not qualified to build the temple because he has shed blood in battle. According to the previously mentioned verses, this is not true.

If it were true, this would have major doctrinal implications considering that many of those battles were what God wanted him to do: can you loose your blessing by doing what God wants you to do?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
My problem is that David seems to be saying that he not qualified to build the temple because he has shed blood in battle. According to the previously mentioned verses, this is not true.

If it were true, this would have major doctrinal implications considering that many of those battles were what God wanted him to do: can you loose your blessing by doing what God wants you to do?
I think that's the thing: building God's temple wasn't David's blessing. David wanted it to be his blessing, but God told him that he was to be used in a different way.

It's the same today: I may want my blessing to be a movie star or a high-paid athlete, but that's not waht God has sestined for me.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
It's the same today: I may want my blessing to be a movie star or a high-paid athlete, but that's not waht God has sestined for me.
Right, and I want to be welterweight champ, but oh well.

But my question is, why is Davidís version different than Godís and Solomonís? I suppose it doesnít really matter, but I am not the only one confused by this.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
Right, and I want to be welterweight champ, but oh well.

But my question is, why is Davidís version different than Godís and Solomonís? I suppose it doesnít really matter, but I am not the only one confused by this.
I couldn't tell you off hand, but my guess is that it's the same reason that the Gospels "disagree" about stuff: it was told from his point of view.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Maglorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I couldn't tell you off hand, but my guess is that it's the same reason that the Gospels "disagree" about stuff: it was told from his point of view.
In what way do the gospels disagree about stuff?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglorius View Post
In what way do the gospels disagree about stuff?
That’s a great start to a whole new thread!

On the topic of this thread, I think David might have felt that he would have been allowed to build the temple if not for the incident with Uriah's wife, and was perhaps without realizing it deflecting that guilt.

Or maybe he was worried that Solomon would feel pressure to live up to his dad's 'tens of thousands' reputation and be tempted as king to start wars, and if he started a war without God's blessing he could lose. David knew from personal experience what could happen to the losers in war, and as a father that would be a sickening fear.

These are of course wild guesses, if anyone has a Biblical reference that could clarify this question I would love to hear it.

Last edited by Dethbob; 04-20-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Clarification.