Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Royce Gracie Negotiating for a Spot on the Rio Card

From MMATorch.com:

Quote:
UFC Hall of Famer and MMA legend Royce Gracie is looking to return for one last fight in the organization at UFC Rio in August, and it appears that it's coming closer to a reality.

In an interview with UOL Esporte (translated by Tom Mendes at BloodyElbow.com), the 44-year-old Gracie revealed he's in talks with the UFC and expects to have an opponent lined up for the UFC's second event in Brazil in the next couple of weeks.

"It would be the perfect place to do my last fight. I never fought in Rio de Janeiro and I couldn't be more psyched," he said. "We are negotiating [the fight deal], but we should have it finalized in two weeks. We only had an initial contact and I don't even have an opponent yet, but we should have that finalized soon."

"My weight is the same as it was twenty years ago [80kg], I am still training, keeping the blade sharp. I follow a very strict diet. I never drank, never party, Carnaval, none of that... I'm ready to fight."

The very first UFC tournament winner, Gracie was synonymous with the UFC in the early years of the organization, before the sport of mixed marital arts became the sport it is today. However, the last time he was in the Octagon, he was badly beaten by Matt Hughes at UFC 60, and he hasn't fought since 2007. A return to action has been discussed since the UFC announced their return to Brazil, but now it could be more than just talk when the UFC comes to Rio de Janeiro on August 27.

Penick's Analysis: I don't know who the UFC could possibly put him in against that in 2011 wouldn't just run through him, and for a lot of fans they're not going to want to see a repeat of his fight with Matt Hughes. At the same time, he is a legitimate legend for the UFC, and I wouldn't begrudge him an opportunity to have one more fight in his home country in the Octagon that he initially made famous.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:10 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Royce Gracie vs old age....this should be good....
Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Dethbob

The only matchup that makes any sense is a rubber match with Ken, and I think Royce might actually win that. It would bring his career full circle, and I for one would love to see it.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Chuck

I've said this before but I'd love to eventually see a Masters/Seniors division in the sport. This would be a great time to see that or a "Legends" fight between two guys equally matched who are past their prime.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Have him fight Eddie Bravo!

[
Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 PM

I agree with Penick's analysis.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I agree with Penick's analysis.
His analysis is based on the assumption that the UFC would only pit him against fighters from the current roster. There is no reason to make that assumption. Royce would of course not do well against the currently active fighters, but against almost anyone of his own era I think he would be very competitive.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
His analysis is based on the assumption that the UFC would only pit him against fighters from the current roster. There is no reason to make that assumption. Royce would of course not do well against the currently active fighters, but against almost anyone of his own era I think he would be very competitive.
Then that's what they should do I think. I agree, I don't want to see him go out for his last fight like his fight with Matt. Hopefully they can find a good match-up for him.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
His analysis is based on the assumption that the UFC would only pit him against fighters from the current roster. There is no reason to make that assumption.
hee, sure there is! He asked for a UFC fight so it's only right to A$$ume he'd fight from their roster!

But seriously, I see what you're saying. I'm with Llama, let him fight Eddie Bravo, maybe he can catch another triangle choke.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 PM

I'd give someone else's arm to see Royce sub someone in combat again! I'd probably cry from joy. I literally came to tears when they did the announcement of the Hughes Gracie fight. When I saw the back of his head, I knew, and my wife has picked on me to this day about that lol.