Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Boy Gets Punched by Sisters/Grandmother...for Training??

WTF?

Quote:
Well, well, well, we always knew our young and growing sport would find new ways to develop training for MMA (UFC) stars of the future, and now we have it folks. Dr. Phil has stumbled upon a visionary of our beloved sport, 16 year old JR is attempting to build up a resistance to, something, getting hurt maybe, by getting punched in the face repeatedly....gently....by his grandma...sometimes twice a day.

In my day, backyard wrestlers were lighting themselves on fire and jumping off of rooftops, now real fighting is en vogue and you want your grandma to punch you as a training technique? If he gets knocked out did he get 'Grandsonned"? This may not be the best analogy, but building up a resistance to punches by getting punched very gently by your little sister or grandmammy is like trying to become Aquaman by sipping some distilled water. We appreciate you trying, please move on. Check out the video for yourself, it's pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUWvi...layer_embedded

Dr. Phil makes good points but I would rather have my Grandma punch me in the face than work a football O-line practice in junior high, partially because my grandma is dead, but mostly because you won't have the risk of playing center and having a dudes hands by your junk all day long. Props to FedorBrockpromo on Youtube for bringing this to the attention of the MMA world.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 AM

Sheesh. This is another one to file under "Moronic Parents on Parade".
Old 04-13-2011, 02:47 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Gotta be honest, the very last image surprised me & made me bust out laughing.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Gotta be honest, the very last image surprised me & made me bust out laughing.
OMG! I watched what I thought was the entire thing, through the guy talking about possible brain injuries. Obviously, I clicked off a second too soon!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Chris F

That was funny.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Chuck

How stupid/hilarious was that!!

While I was watching the video this one was on the side bar:

It's stupid, but I couldn't help buy laugh!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXTufKH2zCY&NR=1
Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 PM
BamaGrits84

Not that I think this is okay by any means but isn't there an exercise where people hit their shins and forearms against polls to strengthen the bone? If not my high school PE teacher was a jerk. He was a black belt in something and somehow managed to turn what was supposed to be an aerobics class into a karate class. Every day for 10 minutes we had to do this exercise where we hit forearms with another classmates.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
Not that I think this is okay by any means but isn't there an exercise where people hit their shins and forearms against polls to strengthen the bone? If not my high school PE teacher was a jerk. He was a black belt in something and somehow managed to turn what was supposed to be an aerobics class into a karate class. Every day for 10 minutes we had to do this exercise where we hit forearms with another classmates.
Yeah, lots of Muay Thai practitioners in Thailand will spend hours kicking banana trees or rolling glass bottles up & down their shins to kill the nerves.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 AM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
From what I've read, mild impacts are supposed to help increase bone density. However, that sounds a little masochistic of your PE teacher.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 AM
sender

amazing!