Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Smile Please Sponsor Me in aid of Cancer Research

Hello Everybody,

This May I shall be taking part in The Nidderdale Walk as part of my charitable giving for 2011. I am hoping to raise money for Cancer Reasearch, mainly because I lost two Grandparents to the disease, My Grandmother infact died almost exactly 10 years ago, on April 15th, that year April 15th was Easter Day.

I know that the vast majority of us are probably living below the poverty line and finding it hard to make ends meet, which is why its good that I aint asking for lots of money. I am hoping that if everyone were to give just an insignificant amount from their budget, that with the vast range of people I know, and networks I have across the online world as well as locally, we can all give very little and still raise quite a lot.

I recognise that many of you live miles away, so sponsor in the traditional sense of the world is going to be hard, many of you also live abroad, and so I have joined up with bmycharity dot com, which isnt charging me anything, and simply forwards the money to my charity. So I'm just asking for you to make a donation through my page below instead of sponsorship money that has to be chased up after the event.

I have no intention of forcing people to donate a specific amount, if you can give, please do. If you cant give, then thats your choice also. I can but try in an endevour like this. I will send out a few more mass emails closer the time, to remind people, and also update you on my progress.

please sponsor me for taking part in The Nidderdale Walk by giving a generous donation in aid of Cancer Research through the following online website before the 1st of June 2011

http://www.bmycharity.com/nidsponsor
Old 04-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

please...if there is anyone out their with just a few dollars to spare...can they just clickey the link and donate...its for a very worthy cause, as Cancer is fast becoming the largest killer

just give what you can
Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Sixty Nine Views...if only each person had dedicated a single dollar to the cause, the treatment of cancer cures would be 69 dollars better off.

Would you like to know...that so far only a SINGLE person from this forum has donated.

...so you cant spare a dollar not even one

So now I'm going to Sticky this thread
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 PM

How about I donate to the American Cancer Society?

If I give $100 to the American Cancer Society I can claim it as a deduction on next year's taxes. Since we are in a high tax bracket, I will get about 1/3 of that money back in the form of a tax refund. Next year I will get back $33 which I can give to another charity or spend on my children. If I give to a UK charity, I can not claim it on my taxes unless your charity has a U.S. tax number.

I might be persuaded to forego the tax benefits for some perquisites. For example, a picture of you with Jens on your shoulder and "White Chocolate" written on your arm might be worth $25. A YouTube clip of you holding out a bowl and saying, "Please, sir, can I have some more?" might be worth another $25. Etc., etc., etc.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
How about I donate to the American Cancer Society?

If I give $100 to the American Cancer Society I can claim it as a deduction on next year's taxes. Since we are in a high tax bracket, I will get about 1/3 of that money back in the form of a tax refund. Next year I will get back $33 which I can give to another charity or spend on my children. If I give to a UK charity, I can not claim it on my taxes unless your charity has a U.S. tax number.

I might be persuaded to forego the tax benefits for some perquisites. For example, a picture of you with Jens on your shoulder and "White Chocolate" written on your arm might be worth $25. A YouTube clip of you holding out a bowl and saying, "Please, sir, can I have some more?" might be worth another $25. Etc., etc., etc.
I'm sure cancer research has branches in the US also...I would be very suprised if they didnt. Im kinda asking people to donate for the sake of charity, not to get money back we cant do that...although the charity can get tax back on the claim from the british government...it doesnt go back to the actual person that donates

I've had a report that the website wouldnt let someone donate...if anyone comes across this problem let me know...once might be a glitch...but several people...that will require me to get the administrators to investigate why some Americans can donate and others cant seemingly do so
Old 04-13-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I'm sure cancer research has branches in the US also...I would be very suprised if they didnt. Im kinda asking people to donate for the sake of charity, not to get money back we cant do that...although the charity can get tax back on the claim from the british government...it doesnt go back to the actual person that donates

I've had a report that the website wouldnt let someone donate...if anyone comes across this problem let me know...once might be a glitch...but several people...that will require me to get the administrators to investigate why some Americans can donate and others cant seemingly do so
It is common for identity thieves to steal credit card numbers in the U.S. and then sell them on the internet black market to people in foreign countries. It has happened to me twice. Many credit card companies will freeze an attempted purchase if it is made in a foreign country. My stolen card was discovered when someone in London tried to make a purchase. I have tried to make legitimate purchases in England - I bought some sterling silver as a Christening gift - and the purchase is flagged as a fraud and will not be processed unless a call is made to the credit card company to authorize the purchase.

Please find out about the tax information for Americans. If I can claim it, I will make a donation. Otherwise, it makes more sense for me to donate to an American charity. The charity gets the benefit from the full amount, the U.S. Government has less money to waste and I get a refund. Sometimes, a charity will have a U.S. branch office. For example, I give money to a UK charity, Barnabas Aid, but they have a U.S. branch with a U.S. address so I can claim the donation as a deduction. Last month, I gave money to the U.S. Red Cross and specified that it go to the tsunami in Japan. Even though Japan gets the money, I can claim it as a deduction on U.S. taxes.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I'm sure cancer research has branches in the US also...I would be very suprised if they didnt. Im kinda asking people to donate for the sake of charity, not to get money back
In 2010, we converted all our traditional IRAs into Roth IRAs. In 2012 and 2013, we will have to pay taxes on those IRAs. The additional tax burden for each year is going to be in the five figures. That is on top of our normal yearly tax burden, which between federal, state, payroll, property and sales taxes is in the six figures. We need to get every penny of tax benefit that we can.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
In 2010, we converted all our traditional IRAs into Roth IRAs. In 2012 and 2013, we will have to pay taxes on those IRAs. The additional tax burden for each year is going to be in the five figures. That is on top of our normal yearly tax burden, which between federal, state, payroll, property and sales taxes is in the six figures. We need to get every penny of tax benefit that we can.
The Federal Government needs to watch itself...dont they know what happens when you try and raise taxes on an American Populas to keep yourself afloat?

I'd hate for them to find out the hard way, circa 1776

I'll look at the cancer research and see about the US connection tommorow and let everyone know...as for the card thing...that happens to me if I buy something the bank classes as out of character for me...sooo if I suddenly bought a lot of jewlery or something...they would aleart me to the possibility of fraud. That might be whats happening....as its could be considered strange to an american bank that an american suddenly decides to donate to some british based charity I suppose
Old 05-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

In 2001 exactly ten years ago, over the Easter Holidays of that year, I took up a position for three weeks as a door-to-door charity fundraiser for Saint John Ambulance in the city of Leeds. St John is one of the major providers of first aid in this country, they train people so that all businesses can have people trained in basic first aid, and they supply people to sporting events and concert halls and the likes...so that events are covered for the likelyhood of someone falling ill or being injured.

On the first day of the project funded by Wesser and Partner of High Wycombe, we were deposited in THREE Minibuses to a town centre suberb of leeds. It was full of lower class people and the elderly, miles of cramped little flats full of delinquent youths, graffiti stained walls, and single mothers with extensive young families. On average, you'd get about one person, per street, interested in signing a direct debit form, to give monthly pledges of as little as two pounds, to this charity...in practise you'd get perhaps one in three of those people to complete the signing up process...and perhaps a third of all you collected in one area would cancel that direct debit before a single pledge had been taken.Needless to say, everyone was very dissapointed. One Minibus vanished when they discovered that we would only be paid on a commission basis...so...no success for the charity...and no success for the fundraiser

The next day Two Minibusses set out for the upperclass district of "Primley Park" on the North outter suberbs of Leeds. These people lived in near on mansion sized detached houses. They had great wealth, and we were so sure we would be able to get a good reaction. Most of us collected absolutely nothing that day...we never saw a soul as the intercoms on the large front gates at the owners descretion refused to open. We were rejected without even being able to speak to the owner in person.

We soon discovered the terrible truth, those who can give, dont, because they can afford to pay for themselves in the case of an emergency. Those who cant afford to give, will pledge, because they have no way of protecting themselves. You want money...go to the poor...because they will give as much as they can...and however meagre that is...it will be a lot more then you get from the rich.

By the end of the second day there was only One minibus left. By the end of the first week, there was only two cars...by the end of the second week, there was just me and my friend Chris left.

In the past Month..only two people have donated from this website...and one of them has suffered terribly from the ailment I'm raising funds to stave against.

Here ends the first lesson in Philanthropy

If anyone can find it in their hearts to spare even a single dollar...and dont tell me that you cant do that, because thats a complete and utter lie...then you have a week to show your support for myself, and for this great research by making a one off, single, donation direct to the charity through the website in my signiture.

if you are one of the two hundred nearly, who have visited this thread and not shown your support...then accept that it is because you have made a conscious decision not to act, and not because you couldnt. I know not many of us have money...but if I got a SINGLE Dollar from every active member on this website...I would raise A FORTUNE for Cancer Research and inconvinience absolutely noone at all.

If you're one of the two patrons to give to this cause, then I thank you deeply, May GOD richly reward all who give to this appeal tenfold what they graciously give.

With High Regards

Amor Et Fides
Old 05-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Blade

There's already enough arseholes out in the real world and knocking on my door asking for sh*t for their 'charity', without being accosted online and made to feel bad by the likes of you aswell. People don't like being pressured, if they wanna donate they'll donate in their own time, though I'm not sure they're gonna wanna contribute to your pension and vacation fund anyway, haha.
Closed Thread