Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
atomdanger

Default Belcher / Akiyama for UFC 100?

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14215/ufc-...at-ufc-100.mma

Quote:

A source close to the negotiations told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the proposed fight hasn't been signed and "isn't set in stone," but bout agreements could be distributed and finalized soon.

UFC 100 takes July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, and as announced this past weekend, will likely feature a title-unification bout between UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar and interim title-holder Frank Mir.

Akiyama, a decorated judoka of Korean descent, launched his MMA career in December 2007 and has spent most of his career with the K-1 HERO'S organization, which now operates under the DREAM banner, in Japan. The 33-year-old is now 11-0 (with two no-contests) since July 2005.

In his 13 official bouts, Akiyama has never gone to a decision. All 12 of his wins have come via stoppage (seven via submission and five via knockout), and only two have gone past the first round.
I will surprised if anything happens other than Akiyama walking through Belcher
Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM
TheConcretekid

Yeah, I think Dana is just going to build him up a little before giving him a real test. Introduce him to UFC fans, kinda like they did with Cro Cop, hopefully with different results.

Get the fans behind one Japanese fighter and they would be more accepting to see Ishii or Kid Yamato or other fighters pop up in the UFC, and excel. This would also draw Japanese MMA fans to the UFC and open the doors for a UFC card in Japan once again. (Which Dana has said he wanted to do)

All this brings us one step closer to my dream of a more unified MMA scene where the best fighters in the world will actually get to fight each other.

...or I could be reading into this news a little too much.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
Yeah, I think Dana is just going to build him up a little before giving him a real test. Introduce him to UFC fans, kinda like they did with Cro Cop, hopefully with different results.

Get the fans behind one Japanese fighter and they would be more accepting to see Ishii or Kid Yamato or other fighters pop up in the UFC, and excel. This would also draw Japanese MMA fans to the UFC and open the doors for a UFC card in Japan once again. (Which Dana has said he wanted to do)

All this brings us one step closer to my dream of a more unified MMA scene where the best fighters in the world will actually get to fight each other.

...or I could be reading into this news a little too much.
haha yeah, don't we wish. I would love to see Akiyama and Anderson.

I would also love to see Aoki in the UFC LW division