Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
Ewww! I’ve seen the finger before! Gross!!!

I remember getting communion for the first time after my first “holy” communion. My friend Merilee went before me and we were kneeling in the pew side by side praying when suddenly she started digging in her teeth with her finger.

One of the nuns came over and hissed into her ear “Merilee what on Earth are you doing!”

And Merilee said “I’m sorry Sister Agness but I have Jesus stuck in my teeth!”

We BOTH got our hair pulled! Because of what Merliee said and because I started laughing!!!!!
Reminds me of the infamous story of poor Canon Halliburton. I never met him in person, He was in a jar sitting on the Altar the one and only time I had the pleasure. But he was an Anglo Catholic of the staunch traditional type, he was one of the last people to have life tenure as a Canon on Chapter which he gave up shrotly before he died.

Apparently he was very old, and very frail, but refused point blank to celebrate The Eucharist except from The High Altar for a Book of Common Prayer Communion on a Sunday (they had just started bringing in a moveable table which they were using as an Altar in the Quire itself instead...but Halliburton would have none of that for it offended his sense of decency.

There was one VERA Big problem with celebrating on the High Altar (apart from the fact you had your back to the congregation) and this was the fact that the Altar lay under a great Baldekino, which was raised on many steps...and the communion rail, lay well west in the Sequerium.

One Morning, Canon Halliburton began presiding over the Morning feast, it was early in the morning, and being...slightly...doddery perhaps, he liked to make only one trip up and down those steps for the purposes of the distribution, soooo he liked to fill his cyborium right full so he could be certain he didnt run out. It didnt matter if he consecrated to much host, it could be added to The Reserve Sacrement in The Hangin Pixx.

Canon Halliburton did the hokey kokey so to speak and walked down the steps in his full regalia, distributed the host, and then began to make his return journey to the Altar....thats when tradgedy struck...Canon Halliburton slipped on his robe, and the full cyborium flew from his grasp, and JESUS WENT EVERYWHERE!!

apparently they were finding bits of Jesus for weeks after that all around the sanctuary

The other funny tale from Saint Pauls was the ironic way that one day during Evensong the latch on the great west door had not been properly sequred, and over the months the ratchet had somehow lifted the bolt. One night, during Evensong, a great gust of wind blew up Ludgate Hill striking the Cathedral on the West Side and blowing open the largest doors in europe. They seemed to be opening by themselves, it was as if GOD himself were entering the Building...and what did the staff do?

They rushed to shut the doors and keep GOD out as one congregational member was heard to utter regarding the incodent
Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e4j5AxfDjk

Why do I want to burst into "up from the grave he arose" when I watch the above video They have exhumed poor John Paul and are wheeling him around the crypt, standing him infront of other Saints on his long journey to hide under one of the Church Floor Altars...I do wish they'd LEAVE these poor people alone once they had died rather then playing musical chairs with their coffins...I just dont think its very...nice.

At least you cant actually SEE John Paul...his wooden casket is closed...I DO hope they arent tempted to put him in some new display case so everyone can stare at him under the altar during the Mass like they can with poor old Innocent...who seems to have been demoted
Old 04-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e4j5AxfDjk

Why do I want to burst into "up from the grave he arose" when I watch the above video They have exhumed poor John Paul and are wheeling him around the crypt, standing him infront of other Saints on his long journey to hide under one of the Church Floor Altars...I do wish they'd LEAVE these poor people alone once they had died rather then playing musical chairs with their coffins...I just dont think its very...nice.

At least you cant actually SEE John Paul...his wooden casket is closed...I DO hope they arent tempted to put him in some new display case so everyone can stare at him under the altar during the Mass like they can with poor old Innocent...who seems to have been demoted

Well it's not like John Paul would have been surprised that his body is being moved around. He was Catholic, after all.

I'm pretty sure I won't care what happens to my earthly remains once I'm elsewhere. I am an organ donor and for all I care, they can cut me up in med school to teach new docs anatomy.

~Amy

My son made this for me: