Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-07-2011, 05:32 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Submissions in the UFC: A Fond Look Back

Interesting article outlining the debut of various submissions within the UFC. From MMAConvert.com:

Quote:
Chan Sung Jung stepped into the cage at UFC Fight Night 24 this past weekend and tied opponent Leonard Garcia into knots, eventually tapping him with a move jiu-jitsu sage Eddie Bravo had dubbed the “Twister”. It was the first time in the history of the organization that such a move had been used – and irrefutable proof that, even after 173 UFC events, these crazy kids are still coming up with cool ways to end fights. So what, besides his sweet $55,000 “submission of the night” bonus, does the “Korean Zombie” get for making his mark on the UFC’s seventeen-year history? He gets to join the ranks of the other grappling pioneers, a cadre of esteemed warriors brave enough to dream and bold enough to try when simply punching a foe unconscious would not do. Jung, and his Twister, are now members of the “First Submission Club”. Who else belongs in that sacred and revered group?

Scott Morris, Guillotine Choke, UFC 2 – You’d think a move as universal and common as a guillotine choke would’ve first been employed by a master jiu-jitsu technician. But no, a real-life, honest-to-God ninja gets that honor. At UFC 2, Scott Morris took out Sean Daugherty with a move that would be repeated for generations to come. Then Morris was promptly bludgeoned into oblivion by kickboxer Pat Smith.

Royce Gracie, Armbar, UFC 2 – Amazingly, the legendary Royce Gracie went through the entire UFC 1 tournament without snapping anyone’s arm with an armbar. But the young and feisty Brazilian could resist no longer by the time the second tournament rolled around, and so it was that one-time Gracie student Jason DeLucia – ensnared like a like a fly in a spider’s web – had his arm snapped. Ouch.

Ken Shamrock, Heelhook, UFC 1 – He was muscle-bound and intense, but Ken Shamrock was still a comparative wealth of submission knowledge back in the day (emphasis on “comparative”, as no one knew what the words “guard” or “mount” even meant at the time). Thus, when Shamrock took Smith down, isolated the kickboxer’s leg and twisted, it was as if we were witness to the ultimate in appendage destruction. Nowadays, it’s just a run-of-the-mill heelhook. It’s still pretty cool, though.

Jason DeLucia, Rear Naked Choke, UFC 1 – Gracie may have failed to secure the first rear naked choke in the Octagon, but he does get some credit, as it was his student DeLucia who was the first to apply it. DeLucia slapped it on against Trent Jenkins in an alternate bout to elicit a tap, and the worlds of MMA and backyard wrestling haven’t been the same since.

Royce Gracie, Triangle Choke, UFC 4 – Sure, we see it all the time now, but in 1994, when Gracie was under the massive wrestler Dan Severn and getting pounded on, we thought the Brazilian was doomed. He wasn’t. Who knew you could choke someone out with just your legs? Gracie, apparently.

Ivan Salaverry, Body Triangle, UFC 50 – Hey, did you know that when you take someone’s back, triangle your legs around their body and squeeze really hard, you can sometimes tap them out? Tony Fryklund knows, thanks to Ivan Salaverry putting a hurting on him at UFC 50.

Nick Pace, the “Pace” Choke, TUF 12 Finale – Call it an “armless triangle”, call it a “one-legged gogoplata”, or just call it “What the hell, man?” But Nick Pace pulled this unprecedented, funky move off on Will Campuzano at the TUF 12 Finale, and odds are Campuzano still isn’t sure what made him tap. But hey, that’s what happens in a combat sport full of submissions. You never know when the next evolution of grappling technique is going to shock and surprise you.
Can anyone think of anything else? The most obvoius one I can think of is Matt Hughes, the "Farmaconda" Choke, UFC 117. What else y'all got?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Interesting article outlining the debut of various submissions within the UFC. From MMAConvert.com:

Can anyone think of anything else? The most obvoius one I can think of is Matt Hughes, the "Farmaconda" Choke, UFC 117. What else y'all got?
That choke was sick!!!!!!! NOt just saying that cause I am a fan, but geesh the look on peoples faces when he performed that was beyond anything I have seen in a while!!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 PM
rearnakedchoke

matt's was a good one ... i liked phil davis' on tim boetsch ....
Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
That choke was sick!!!!!!! NOt just saying that cause I am a fan, but geesh the look on peoples faces when he performed that was beyond anything I have seen in a while!!
I love listening to Rogan's commentary: "Now, Matt might be able to finish this, but he'd first have to move hi - HE'S OUT!!!!"
Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I love listening to Rogan's commentary: "Now, Matt might be able to finish this, but he'd first have to move hi - HE'S OUT!!!!"
haha .. yeah, that was classic ... imo matt still has the sickest armbar .. against gsp ... came out of nowhere ... should be on the list ....
Old 04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Miss Foxy

I like the kimura he did on Riggs too.. Awww many memories!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwOSYdNvWRo
Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Royce Gracie, Triangle Choke, UFC 4 – Sure, we see it all the time now, but in 1994, when Gracie was under the massive wrestler Dan Severn and getting pounded on, we thought the Brazilian was doomed. He wasn’t. Who knew you could choke someone out with just your legs? Gracie, apparently.
Sergeant Martin Riggs, Triangle choke, Lethal Weapon (1987) - Sergeant Riggs, being pounded by Mr. Joshua, wraps his legs around the neck of his opponent while viewers were thinking "WTF? That wouldn't work!" Unbeknownst by the viewers at the time, this would become known as the legendary "Triangle Choke" popularized by the legendary Royce Gracie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnSHQHXvaTU
Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Sergeant Martin Riggs, Triangle choke, Lethal Weapon (1987) - Sergeant Riggs, being pounded by Mr. Joshua, wraps his legs around the neck of his opponent while viewers were thinking "WTF? That wouldn't work!" Unbeknownst by the viewers at the time, this would become known as the legendary "Triangle Choke" popularized by the legendary Royce Gracie.

Lethal Weapon=CLASSIC!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post

LOL.. great post!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
LOL.. great post!
LOL, thanks! Thought Riggs needed credit for this!