Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Default 1 Corinthians 6

Quote:
16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” 17 But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit. 18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.
Is sexual immorality a greater sin?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 AM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
It seems like it is implied but not explicitely said...

Putting one sin above another is ambigous in scripture IMO.

there are a lot verses that use terms like the lesser of sins and so on and so fourth but when you get down to the nitty gritty ANY sin is bad enough to damn you to hell.

Judging by what we have to work with I think it stands to reason that some sins are more detestable then others but all are equally evil.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
It's definitely a much more serious category of sin than most because it warps and destroys the human mind. People who are sexually immoral lose their ability to distinguish right from wrong. They are basically damaging their own mind to the point where they can't even recognize their own sinfulness and they begin to look upon purity and righteousness with disgust and hatred. Which obviously would make it extremely difficult for them to get saved without direct intervention from the Holy Spirit.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 AM
Rev

Not sure if We can say that they are worse, but Paul is definitely warning against the added penalties of sexual sins. that along with the great points provided already seems to push opinions in that direction. Sexual sins always seem to multiply, don't they?

Mark, what do you think about this?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

In my opininion, sexual sin is so insidious that it can destroy a person. It leads to several other sins: idolatry (putting another human before God), vanity, greed, envy, lying, etc. It breaks a person down completely and colors everything they do. It is like heroin addiction in how powerful a hold it can have on a person. It's just better to not ever go there in the first place than to try to dig your way out after the damage has started.

I know that I didn't really answer the question yet. I don't think it is a greater sin; I just think it requires very strict warnings due to the severity of the hold sexual immorality can have on humans and how many sins spin off of sexual immorality.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 04-05-2011, 05:35 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
It's definitely a much more serious category of sin than most because it warps and destroys the human mind. People who are sexually immoral lose their ability to distinguish right from wrong. They are basically damaging their own mind to the point where they can't even recognize their own sinfulness and they begin to look upon purity and righteousness with disgust and hatred. Which obviously would make it extremely difficult for them to get saved without direct intervention from the Holy Spirit.
+1 And thats why the Apostle Paul said in verse 18 to flee from it!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
+1 And thats why the Apostle Paul said in verse 18 to flee from it!
We're seeing the extremes of immorality being played out right before our eyes with the militant Gay Rights movement. And it's only going to get worse as long as we, as Christians, allow ourselves to continue to be ridiculed and intimidated into silence.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
We're seeing the extremes of immorality being played out right before our eyes with the militant Gay Rights movement. And it's only going to get worse as long as we, as Christians, allow ourselves to continue to be ridiculed and intimidated into silence.
These civil unions that are being put into law state by state is just the foundation for other laws that gay lobbyists will push for...........like intolercance, hate speech, etc. It could even get to the point where a pastor of a church cannot even preach on the sin of homosexuality.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
BamaGrits84

Tattoos and piercings would also be spoken against by some using the same verses.

Greater than what? ALL other sins? Blashphemy is the only unforgivable sin right? So that would make me believe it is the worst.

I don't think this is saying sexual sins are the worst. It is interesting how Paul uses the word prostitute and not just adultry. My study bible is at home but I'll have to see if I can find some insight on that aspect.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
Tattoos and piercings would also be spoken against by some using the same verses.

Greater than what? ALL other sins? Blashphemy is the only unforgivable sin right? So that would make me believe it is the worst.

I don't think this is saying sexual sins are the worst. It is interesting how Paul uses the word prostitute and not just adultry. My study bible is at home but I'll have to see if I can find some insight on that aspect.
that was sort of my next question ... the verse states prostitution, but there are many other different types of sexual immorality out there .....