Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 03-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Rev

Default Shoulders

I cant get my sholders to grow!!! I have been trying everything I know to blow them up. The rest of my muscles are doing pretty well but my shoulders are pitiful. I am pressing(military) the stack on our machine, and with dumbells Im pressing 70's. Im only 180lbs and nobody else my size in our gym is moving as much as I am(except the roid-heads). I do front and lateral raises, upright rows, and I change it up every week. My traps are starting to come along since I decided to start going heavy on shrugs, but the outside of my shoulders are sad.

SOMEBODY HELP ME!!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Gymcoach can probably give you some solid ideas, but if the rest of you is growing, it's going to be hard to tell if your shoulders are growing or not. As your arms, chest, etc. get larger, the shoulders are most likely growing, but you just can't see it.

Also, what rep range do you use? If you're focusing on heavy weights with low reps, you might try switching it up for a few weeks and use a 8-12 range or even a 12-15 range. Change is always good. If you're been using moderately heavy ranges, switch to heavy weight and less reps (at least for your compound lifts like the military press or seated shoulder press).

Switch it up and see how it goes.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:24 AM
Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Gymcoach can probably give you some solid ideas, but if the rest of you is growing, it's going to be hard to tell if your shoulders are growing or not. As your arms, chest, etc. get larger, the shoulders are most likely growing, but you just can't see it.
the fronts are doing ok, its the outsides. I want that bowling ball look. thanks for the heads up on gymcoach rock.
I have been doing alot of rest-pause trainning and getting AWESOME results. I will change it up on my shoulders though. I guess I figured if it was working for the rest of me it work there as well. Thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
the fronts are doing ok, its the outsides. I want that bowling ball look. thanks for the heads up on gymcoach rock.
I have been doing alot of rest-pause trainning and getting AWESOME results. I will change it up on my shoulders though. I guess I figured if it was working for the rest of me it work there as well. Thanks
Rest pause is great, but it's mostly for power as opposed to hypertrophy. Have you ever done supersets or dropsets? You could do something like this:

Supersets:
- 4 sets seated db shoulder press (8-12 reps)
- After each set immediately followed with seated side db lateral raises

Dropsets:
- Each set, immediately drop the weight by 20 pounds each db and press until you can't lift anymore
- For an added bonus, on the last drop set, do multiple drop sets instead of just 1.

The dropsets would be what I'd recommend the most as you're still doing a compound lift while trying to burn your muscles completely. However, if your triceps fail too early compared to your shoulders, the supersets might work better.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Rest pause is great, but it's mostly for power as opposed to hypertrophy. Have you ever done supersets or dropsets? You could do something like this:

Supersets:
- After each set immediately followed with seated side db lateral raises

Dropsets:
- Each set, immediately drop the weight by 20 pounds each db and press until you can't lift anymore
- For an added bonus, on the last drop set, do multiple drop sets instead of just 1.

The dropsets would be what I'd recommend the most as you're still doing a compound lift while trying to burn your muscles completely. However, if your triceps fail too early compared to your shoulders, the supersets might work better.
Sounds painful, I like it!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Sounds painful, I like it!
Good luck!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:57 PM
rearnakedchoke

a lot of it has to do with genetics too ... you just have to work harder on certain things ... i have a decent chest, but i have work so hard to get it like that ... but my shoulders and arms have always been easy to get big .. i even stop doing them once and a while as they look disproportionate ... you'll get there with what your doing and with what rock suggested ..
Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 PM
County Mike

I pick things up and put them down.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
thanks, I think I will try that.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
LOL, you made me spit my eggs on the floor with that one!