Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Behold The World’s Largest Photo Ever Taken Indoors: 40 Gigapixels Of Awesome

Seriously, this thing blows my mind!

Quote:
We interrupt our live coverage of breaking news about Internet companies from around the world to point you to this phenomenal 360-degrees photo (okay, actually it’s 2,947 pictures stitched together). It is, to our and the photographer’s knowledge, the largest photo ever taken indoors with 280,000 x 140,000 pixels of awesomesauce.

In the screenshot above, in the painting on the ceiling, do you see that angel holding a book, right below the cross? No worries if you can’t, because I zoomed in to give you a close-up:

That’s how freaking amazing this picture is.

The photo was taken by photographer and 360cities founder Jeffrey Martin, and shows the interior of the magnificent, 18th-century baroque library you can find inside the Strahov Monastery in Prague, Czech Republic. For more background, head on over to Wired.
The details, for the fans, courtesy of Martin:

The photo is 40 gigapixels (40,000 megapixels); 280,000 x 140,000 pixels; made of 2947 images joined together; used a Canon 550D and 200mm lens; print size 23m x 11m; stitched file size 280GB; cut into 85,000 tiles for web delivery.

Okay, okay – one more:
Here's the link to go exploring yourself. You can zoom in far enough to read the spine of books on the top-most shelf!!!

http://www.360cities.net/gigapixel/strahov-library.html
Old 04-01-2011, 03:33 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Very Neat. I love it. A canon, huh?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Allons-y

Yup.

I'm surprised NateR hasn't come in here yet.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Administrator

That's pretty amazing. I've done photo-stitching before and it's hard enough to get 8-12 photos to match up perfectly, I can't imagine any person being able to stitch nearly 3000 photos. I'm pretty sure it was an automated process.

I remember when computers couldn't even handle a television image (which is .3 megapixels, by the way), but I can imagine that stuff like this will start to become commonplace before too long.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
That's pretty amazing. I've done photo-stitching before and it's hard enough to get 8-12 photos to match up perfectly, I can't imagine any person being able to stitch nearly 3000 photos. I'm pretty sure it was an automated process.

I remember when computers couldn't even handle a television image (which is .3 megapixels, by the way), but I can imagine that stuff like this will start to become commonplace before too long.
I'm impressed by the level of detail when you zoom in. It's like GoogleMaps for a library!