Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
You've missed my point completely.
No...what im saying is...your point is mute. Ultimately, almost all the consequences we face are somehow brought about by our sin, or the fallen nature of the world, and in the eyes of GOD that means every sinner deserves death.

How that helps with knowing whether to forgive someone or not...?? how is that relevent to point out its your own fault?? The Question wasnt asking for a biblical perspective on why it happened in the first place...the question asked for the biblical perspective on forgiveness.

So your point is not really that relevent in light of the question asked. In light of the question "WHY did it happen to me"....well then you answered that well...but that WASNT the question asked.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
No...what im saying is...your point is mute. Ultimately, almost all the consequences we face are somehow brought about by our sin, or the fallen nature of the world, and in the eyes of GOD that means every sinner deserves death.

How that helps with knowing whether to forgive someone or not...?? how is that relevent to point out its your own fault?? The Question wasnt asking for a biblical perspective on why it happened in the first place...the question asked for the biblical perspective on forgiveness.

So your point is not really that relevent in light of the question asked. In light of the question "WHY did it happen to me"....well then you answered that well...but that WASNT the question asked.
Well, my point is that she can never truly forgive this person unless she's willing to take responsibility for her part in it (putting herself in that situation by hanging around the "wrong people") and repent of her rebellion.

Of course, children rebelling against their parents is natural, because children are born sinful. However, there is NOTHING in the Bible indicating that childhood rebellion should be overlooked. In fact, it's just the opposite - GOD treats disobedience to parents as a very serious offense.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Well, my point is that she can never truly forgive this person unless she's willing to take responsibility for her part in it (putting herself in that situation by hanging around the "wrong people") and repent of her rebellion.
why not?

Surely that is only the case if she is begging forgiveness herself? But I dont think thats what she was doing, Repentance is not needed for the person DOING the forgiving...but for the person ASKING for it.

Noone is asking for it. She is considering spontaneous forgiveness...is that not a choice...that DOESNT require even the wrong-doer to repent?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 PM
BamaGrits84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
It's not about blaming the victim, it's about reaping what you sow. In Deuteronomy 21:18-21, GOD commands that a disobedient son be stoned to death. Do you really believe that GOD has relaxed His standards for obedience? Not at all. Children who disobey their parents still deserve to die, but thankfully (for ALL of us) Jesus took that punishment upon Himself for us.
Look at the full context of that. A "drunk" and "evil" child. Same passage also calls them to shave the heads of their wives.

It is not relaxing His standards, but you can't take the Word out of context. I fully believe that our loving God is also just and we face discipline, however I find no area where God uses the sin of 1 person to cast discipline on another.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
BamaGrits84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Well, my point is that she can never truly forgive this person unless she's willing to take responsibility for her part in it (putting herself in that situation by hanging around the "wrong people") and repent of her rebellion.

Of course, children rebelling against their parents is natural, because children are born sinful. However, there is NOTHING in the Bible indicating that childhood rebellion should be overlooked. In fact, it's just the opposite - GOD treats disobedience to parents as a very serious offense.
repent for the 1.5 years i was a horrible teenager? done done and done. by all means i have forgiven this person. i feel nothing towards him even when i see him. but i know he has guilt. i see it in his eyes. not that i think this is what i should do (or not yet at least), but if i could express MY forgiveness to him why not set him free from his guilt so he can get a taste of grace and seek if on the level God provides it?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Well, my point is that she can never truly forgive this person unless she's willing to take responsibility for her part in it (putting herself in that situation by hanging around the "wrong people") and repent of her rebellion.

Of course, children rebelling against their parents is natural, because children are born sinful. However, there is NOTHING in the Bible indicating that childhood rebellion should be overlooked. In fact, it's just the opposite - GOD treats disobedience to parents as a very serious offense.
the bible also states that women should dress modestly and not wear jewelry .. does the blame also go on them for getting robbed of their jewelry? or getting raped for not dressing modestly?

doesn't the bible state that women should cover their head duing worship? so if they are not, isn't that a sin?

i don't know if bama made the best decisions, but i don't think she reaped getting a gun put to her head ..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
repent for the 1.5 years i was a horrible teenager? done done and done. by all means i have forgiven this person. i feel nothing towards him even when i see him. but i know he has guilt. i see it in his eyes. not that i think this is what i should do (or not yet at least), but if i could express MY forgiveness to him why not set him free from his guilt so he can get a taste of grace and seek if on the level God provides it?
BINGO. You expressing your forgiveness is a great way to do that but until you think it's time just try to show him the love of Christ through your actions.

The simple fact that you're praying about this says a lot about your character.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-01-2011, 08:58 PM
CAVEMAN
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglorius View Post
Yes I think you should confront him and forgive him. The power behind that is immense. It maybe something that has haunted him for a long time and knowing that you don't hold anything against him could be freeing for him. Just remember to pray about it and ask for the courage of the holy spirit.

Just a note, forgiveness and reconciliation don't have to go hand in hand. Forgiveness just has to come from one party, but reconciliation has to come from all parties and the willingness to accept forgiveness and offer an apology back.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Girl don't set yourself up for something bad!! Forgive in your heart however you don't need to associate with this guy whatsoever! Your a mommy now and people are sick in this world don't put your family at risk.. Please don't ...
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Twinsmama
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm wondering if everyone that thinks it's a good idea for her to approach the guy would give the same advice to their daughter. I'm glad that she has forgiven him. Jealous actually. I'm not a good forgiver. However I do not think it is a wise decision becasue the guilt she thinks she sees in his eyes may not be guilt. It may be fear that his new friends will find out what he has done. I still think when he is ready he will apologize.

Dave I totally understand where you are coming from but someone that has been physical is different. would you walk up to the guys that roughed you up and took you money and tell them you forgive them?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.