Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Stump Rules!

Default Gunman Kills Pastor in Illinois Church

MARYVILLE, Ill. (March 8) -- A pastor shot and killed during his Sunday sermon deflected the first of the gunman's four rounds with a Bible, sending a confetti-like spray of paper into the air in a horrifying scene that congregants initially thought was a skit, police said.
The gunman strode down the aisle of the sprawling First Baptist Church shortly after 8 a.m. and briefly spoke with The Rev. Fred Winters, then pulled out a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol and began firing until it jammed, Illinois State Police Director Larry Trent said. Churchgoers wrestled the gunman to the ground as he waved a knife, slashing himself and two other people, Trent said.

Churchgoers comfort one another Sunday morning outside First Baptist Church in Maryville, Ill. During the service, a gunman opened fire, killing the pastor. Police said the man pulled out a knife and stabbed himself when the gun jammed. Two people who tackled the suspect were also slashed.
(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)
None of the about 150 congregants seemed to recognize the gunman and investigators do not know details of Winters' conversation with him, but they planned to review an audio recording of the service, Trent said. The service was not videotaped.
"We thought it was part of a drama skit ... when he shot, what you saw was confetti," said congregant Linda Cunningham, whose husband is a minister of adult education at the church. "We just sat there waiting for what comes next, not realizing that he had wounded the pastor."
Winters had stood on an elevated platform to deliver his sermon about finding happiness in the workplace and managed to run halfway down the sanctuary's side aisle before collapsing, Cunningham said.
Two congregants tackled the gunman as he pulled the 4-inch knife, and all three were stabbed, police said. The gunman suffered "a pretty serious wound to the neck" while one congregant had lower back wounds, Trent said.
Skip over this content
Congregants knocked the gunman between sets of pews, then held him down until police arrived, said church member Don Bohley, who was just outside the sanctuary when the shooting began.
"People came running out and told us to call 911," said Bohley, 72.
Witness Claudia Bohley told CNN affiliate KSDK she was in the church's foyer waiting for the service to begin when she heard "pop, pop, pop. ... We just couldn't imagine what had happened."

http://news.aol.com/article/illinois...hooting/374149

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 AM
bradwright

i had seen that on the news earlier today,,

very strange, and sad,
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Chuck

That's just crazy but if you have to go somewhere/sometime... I guess church is a good place to go.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

While I am not a church going person myself...
What is wrong with the world.. people.. to even come up with the idea...

Attacking kids in a school.. a pastor while in the middle of a service.. killing your inlaws.. your own kids..

It's times like this, that I feel we are truly doomed.. and deserving of it.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Administrator

Last I read, they didn't even know what the motive was. Very sad.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Stump Rules!

We are doomed. That's why we need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
While I am not a church going person myself...

Attacking kids in a school.. a pastor while in the middle of a service.. killing your inlaws.. your own kids..

It's times like this, that I feel we are truly doomed.. and deserving of it.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
While I am not a church going person myself...<-- Changing this......

It's times like this, that I feel we are truly doomed.. and deserving of it.<-- could help with this.....
Just a thought....
Old 03-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Reminds me of Thomas Becket

He was the Archbishop of Canterbury that Royal Knights assasinated, during a service of Vespers, in the Cathedral sanctuary.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:13 AM
atomdanger

props to the guys who grabbed the shooter, thats balls