Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
So your telling me you think Sony vs Holtz is perfectly fine huh.
I never heard of that case before, logrus. I googled it and did read a little about Sony vs Hotz; I'm not a gamer so I'm still not real clear what the issue was. I take it Hotz is a hacker? If that's the case, yeah, I think it's perfectly fine that Sony sued him.

What I'm talking about in my comments is copyrighted and patented property.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Well, maybe if they were your royalties, you'd feel differently, JB.
Artists gain more positive exposure through people actually having their music than they do by attacking the small number of fans who actually copy their music. Not to mention the industry is huge joke anyway. The artists aren't the ones who are really "losing" money from piracy, it's more of a concern for the publishers and fat-cat record label execs than anything. They can't fathom why people wouldn't want to buy another Elvis Greatest Hits CD every year on his birthday. The RIAA goes out and sues 12 year old girls, soccer mom's, and grandmothers for hundreds of thousands of dollars over some MP3's, but try finding an artist who has really been compensated by the RIAA or the labels for those settlements (short of a lawsuit), or find an artist who has been compensated by the percentage of the profits the RIAA takes off blank CD sales. It's a short list.

The industry wants to tell everybody that sales are declining solely because of "illegal" downloads, but there are a lot of contributing factors they leave out. Soaring production costs over the years have driven up the price of albums even through rough economic times. Online sales have allowed consumers to purchase single songs rather than entire albums, and the medium for music has begun to shift away from CD's and into the realm of MP3 players. The internet has also made it possible for fans to listen to millions of independent artists for FREE and thus not being forced only take in what is spoon-fed over the radio.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Artists gain more positive exposure through people actually having their music than they do by attacking the small number of fans who actually copy their music. Not to mention the industry is huge joke anyway. The artists aren't the ones who are really "losing" money from piracy, it's more of a concern for the publishers and fat-cat record label execs than anything. They can't fathom why people wouldn't want to buy another Elvis Greatest Hits CD every year on his birthday. The RIAA goes out and sues 12 year old girls, soccer mom's, and grandmothers for hundreds of thousands of dollars over some MP3's, but try finding an artist who has really been compensated by the RIAA or the labels for those settlements (short of a lawsuit), or find an artist who has been compensated by the percentage of the profits the RIAA takes off blank CD sales. It's a short list.

The industry wants to tell everybody that sales are declining solely because of "illegal" downloads, but there are a lot of contributing factors they leave out. Soaring production costs over the years have driven up the price of albums even through rough economic times.
That may all be true but the law is the law, isn't it? We can't pick and choose. If enough people feel strongly about it, and a majority of artists feel intellectual property laws don't matter - or that the RIAA is obsolete - there shouldn't be a problem changing those laws.

Quote:
Online sales have allowed consumers to purchase single songs rather than entire albums, and the medium for music has begun to shift away from CD's and into the realm of MP3 players. The internet has also made it possible for fans to listen to millions of independent artists for FREE and thus not being forced only take in what is spoon-fed over the radio
I'm not sure what this has to do with copyright infringement.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM
County Mike

If it ain't yours then it ain't yours.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

Quote:
Sounds like he was referring more to illegal use of material instead of legally allowing a company the use of such footage. In your argument, any song I hear in a couple ads on different products could very well be mine for use how I see fit, which is not the case.
no, he was telling me exactly what i said. they don't make a habit of letting anyone use anything. the tougher they are on this the better their copyrights hold up. its really not that hard to understand.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
no, he was telling me exactly what i said. they don't make a habit of letting anyone use anything. the tougher they are on this the better their copyrights hold up. its really not that hard to understand.
Bingo...

If you let no one use anything.. when someone else wants to.. or does so without premission.. it's VERY easy to smack them down..

think about a parent with two kids.. If you let one slide on something.. the other will do the same thing and a little bit more.. when the parent says..."Whoa their little Johnny.." and what's the first thing Little Johnny will say.... "You let Timmy do it...."...
Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 PM
logrus

Quote:
I never heard of that case before, logrus. I googled it and did read a little about Sony vs Hotz; I'm not a gamer so I'm still not real clear what the issue was. I take it Hotz is a hacker? If that's the case, yeah, I think it's perfectly fine that Sony sued him.

What I'm talking about in my comments is copyrighted and patented property.
Basically the PS3 come with a linux based OS which gave little permissions to the owner, what he did was gave himself full read write permissions, -7-7-7-, superuser etc. His hack was not to allow piracy or emulation but to allow users to run their own apps and scripts on their own machine.

Holtz did nothing more then take a machine claimed to be uncrackable and cracked it. whats funny about the case is Sony claims since they designed the machine and own the patent on it, that him buying it with his own money does not give him the right to do with it as he saw fit.

Like Holtz said "Hey if its ok with locked down Mobile devices, why not with such locked down things like gaming consoles. "An that this is more a case of "If we buy it, do we still really, and legally own it."
Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
Its easy to understand, the logic is wrong though.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
That may all be true but the law is the law, isn't it? We can't pick and choose. If enough people feel strongly about it, and a majority of artists feel intellectual property laws don't matter - or that the RIAA is obsolete - there shouldn't be a problem changing those laws.
You are looking at this as black and white, when there is actually a lot of gray area in the matter. Even if we take the approach of "the law is the law", the industry is still misleading people into thinking that copying music is illegal, when that isn't always the case. People are legally entitled to backup copies of all their forms of media, so if I bought an album 20 years ago there is nothing that says I can't have a copy on my MP3 player or computer.

Of course people can use technology to infringe on other people's copyrights, but are we truly to believe that the music industry should be entitled to such ridiculous amounts in compensation to the tune of thousands of dollars PER song? Are they really losing a couple grand for every 13 year old girl with a Lady Gaga Mp3? The answer is no.

While it's easy to say, "change the law", it's not that easily done. The current set of laws that govern all of this is called the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act" and it was written by everybody's favorite VP, Joe Biden.

Quote:
I'm not sure what this has to do with copyright infringement.
I am talking about how the industry misleads consumers into thinking that sales are declining based on "illegal" piracy.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

Quote:
Its easy to understand, the logic is wrong though.
you should send them a resume