Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
My first YouTube account had Zuffa report me twice. I had one of the most popular Brock Lesnar videos on YT, I even gave full credit by linking to where I found the video (somewhere on www.ufc.com), but still got cut. I was surprised about that. TMZ was another one although I gave them credit.
My account was banned to, sad thing was I was never even warned, or had my content removed. All I did was use a clip of a song, gave full credit in my link and in my closing credits.

Sad things have turned out the way they have, honestly this is one of those reasons why users have turned their backs on all forms of the industries.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

The story develops:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rener Gracie
@danawhite the Gracie Breakdowns were intended to educate #UFC fans. What can we do to make it work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana White
@RenerGracie just landed in chicago. I just followed u. Dm me with ur number and let's talk.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:58 AM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

I'm sure dana wouldn't mind giving the gracies a pass and let them use the footage. Problem is he can't, no one gets a pass on copyrighted material. If they did then if the ufc ever has to go to court to defend a copyright that pass can be used against them. Its understandable that they pulled the video.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
I'm sure dana wouldn't mind giving the gracies a pass and let them use the footage. Problem is he can't, no one gets a pass on copyrighted material. If they did then if the ufc ever has to go to court to defend a copyright that pass can be used against them. Its understandable that they pulled the video.
Zuffa can grant permission to anybody they want to use their copyrighted material and it would have no bearing on a case against somebody else who doesn't have their permission. Still, if the UFC doesn't even let ESPN show the finishes of fights, I doubt they would just let it slide, even if it is for the Gracies.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:36 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
It's really no different than pirating music
It's a bit different. The Gracies are using clips that the UFC doesn't even let big time sports networks use in reporting on the sport. Also, it could be argued that in doing so it is helping to promote the Gracie academy, something Zuffa has no vested interest in.

I shed no tears for the music industry when it comes to "pirated" music.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:14 AM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Zuffa can grant permission to anybody they want to use their copyrighted material and it would have no bearing on a case against somebody else who doesn't have their permission. Still, if the UFC doesn't even let ESPN show the finishes of fights, I doubt they would just let it slide, even if it is for the Gracies.
Maybe so, but that's not what the zuffa attorney told me. He was very polite and made sure I understood they have to protect their copyrights or it weakens their legal position in cases that would really matter to them. It makes perfect sense to me. Maybe permission is the key word here. I'm not sure I'm not a attorney.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
It's a bit different. The Gracies are using clips that the UFC doesn't even let big time sports networks use in reporting on the sport. Also, it could be argued that in doing so it is helping to promote the Gracie academy, something Zuffa has no vested interest in.

I shed no tears for the music industry when it comes to "pirated" music.
Well, maybe if they were your royalties, you'd feel differently, JB.

A patent or a copyright, sports or whatever, it's still protected property. I agree that the Gracies would be profiting from usage of Zuffa's copyrighted property (also with what you said about Zuffa allowing them to use a specific clip).
Old 03-29-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Maybe so, but that's not what the zuffa attorney told me. He was very polite and made sure I understood they have to protect their copyrights or it weakens their legal position in cases that would really matter to them. It makes perfect sense to me. Maybe permission is the key word here. I'm not sure I'm not a attorney.
That's very interesting, Tennessean. You got it right from the horse's mouth, so to speak, thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:07 AM
logrus

Quote:
Sounds like he was referring more to illegal use of material instead of legally allowing a company the use of such footage. In your argument, any song I hear in a couple ads on different products could very well be mine for use how I see fit, which is not the case.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Well, maybe if they were your royalties, you'd feel differently, JB.

A patent or a copyright, sports or whatever, it's still protected property. I agree that the Gracies would be profiting from usage of Zuffa's copyrighted property (also with what you said about Zuffa allowing them to use a specific clip).
So your telling me you think Sony vs Holtz is perfectly fine huh.