Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Default Federal TP tax! Sheesh!

Published Mar 23, 2011
Published Wednesday March 23, 2011

Suttle unrolls toilet paper tax
By Maggie O'Brien
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Mayor Jim Suttle went to Washington Tuesday flush with ideas for how federal officials could help cities like Omaha pay for multibillion-dollar sewer projects.

Among the items on his brainstorming list: a proposal for a 10-cent federal tax on every roll of toilet paper you buy.

Based on the four-pack price for Charmin double rolls Tuesday at a midtown Hy-Vee, such a tax would add more than 10 percent to the per-roll price, pushing it over a buck.

The idea came from a failed 2009 House measure by an Oregon congressman to help cities and the environment.

“I heard about it and said, ‘Well, this is simple. Let's put it on the table,'” said Suttle. “It doesn't mean I endorse it.”

The mayor says Omaha needs help with the metro area's $1.7 billion bill for federally mandated sewer improvements. The work must be done by 2024.

Suttle talked about the mandate at a Tuesday meeting held by the U.S. Conference of Mayors. He didn't mention the toilet paper tax but said later that he's open to that and other ways to cover the sewer bill.

“How are we affording this ... as we come out of the recession?” he asked.

Suttle plans to ask Nebraska's congressional delegation to ease the blow to Omaha and other cities. He'd like the federal government to cover half of the cities' costs, possibly with grants.

Whether the toilet paper tax has legs remains to be seen, but Omaha's large industries that balked under significant sewer rate increases are listening.

Julia Plucker, a lobbyist for Kellogg's and Skinner Baking, says food industries carry an unfair portion of the increases.

A toilet paper tax? Sure.

“I did chuckle when I first heard about it,” Plucker said. “But this is a serious problem. We would love to take a look at any more equitable solution.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright ©2011 Omaha World-Herald®. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or redistributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Dethbob

A poop tax, nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
Julia Plucker, a lobbyist for Kellogg's and Skinner Baking, says food industries carry an unfair portion of the increases.
Where does she think the stuff TP is used on comes from?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM
rearnakedchoke

that is one SH!##Y tax ...
Old 03-25-2011, 05:31 PM
County Mike

One more way to tax our asses. Good thing I poop at work.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
LMAO!! Sick o!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
LMAO!! Sick o!!!
Everybody poops.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Everybody poops.
Yes I know.. I smell it daily in the ladies restroom here at work.. The animals who dress in womens clothing apparently don't crap @ home they wait until they get here to sicken us! There is a gas station next door geesh common courtesy!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 PM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Everybody poops.
That's the name of a potty training book. You should get it for the little one!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
A poop tax, nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE

Where does she think the stuff TP is used on comes from?
Not only that, but like they don't pass on those "costs" to the consumers (us!) anyway.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I see it as a direct tax charged directly to the consumer! It would pave the way for a federal sales tax on top of the state taxes and federal income tax! The only way they can pass this off as a tax the rich is if they say only the rich use TP and we all know that's false.