Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-09-2009, 03:17 PM
GroundNPound
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

At this point in time and without the title, there is no way Matt deserves an instant title shot.

And not to be mean, but I don't think Matt would stand much of a chance at this point his career. Alves and GSP both made Matt look a little small...imagine what Silva and Henderson would look like when they cut from over 200 lbs.....Again, not being mean, just realistic.

And you could look at it like Matt would be Silva's poison with his wrestling and submissions or you could look at like Silva is Matt's worst nightmare. A guy who can move well and avoid takedowns while using his tremendous reach and probably the best striking in the division. Sounds like a short night for Matt.

At this point in his career there are plenty of tough fights at 170 if Matt wanted them. Matt, IMO, would need to beat Alves to even think about moving up. If he can't beat him then why would you think he can beat the middleweights?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70
Personally, I don't think that Matt should get an immediate title shot @ Silva. I don't think that BJ should have gotten the title shot, I don't think that Rampage should get a title shot, and I don't think that Brock Lesnar should have gotten a title shot (when he did).

I think a fighter, regardless of pedigree or history, should have to fight for the right to the number one contender in that division. While Matt's status as a champion is undeniable, I don't think it's a right that he has.......call me silly. I think that Maia deserves a shot at Silva before Matt does.

Now, does this mean that I think Matt's accomplishments as the UFC's WW champion mean nothing? No. I think he's the best champion that the UFC has ever had, but I don't think it has any bearing on him as a MW.

Just my two lincolns.....and then some; let the punches fly.

Later.
I agree with that completely, but they opened that can of worms a long time ago, might as well give Matt the shot if he wants it. At least he's more decorated than any of the others you've mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundNPound
At this point in time and without the title, there is no way Matt deserves an instant title shot.

And not to be mean, but I don't think Matt would stand much of a chance at this point his career. Alves and GSP both made Matt look a little small...imagine what Silva and Henderson would look like when they cut from over 200 lbs.....Again, not being mean, just realistic.

And you could look at it like Matt would be Silva's poison with his wrestling and submissions or you could look at like Silva is Matt's worst nightmare. A guy who can move well and avoid takedowns while using his tremendous reach and probably the best striking in the division. Sounds like a short night for Matt.

At this point in his career there are plenty of tough fights at 170 if Matt wanted them. Matt, IMO, would need to beat Alves to even think about moving up. If he can't beat him then why would you think he can beat the middleweights?
Speed kills, ask Oscar De La Hoya. Granted this is MMA and not boxing, but Silva hasn't fought somebody as compact, quick, and as powerful as Matt. No doubt, Silva can KO Matt and is much better in the stand-up, but I still think if Matt can get him on the ground, he might get away with the G&P or a submission.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70
Personally, I don't think that Matt should get an immediate title shot @ Silva. I don't think that BJ should have gotten the title shot, I don't think that Rampage should get a title shot, and I don't think that Brock Lesnar should have gotten a title shot (when he did).

I think a fighter, regardless of pedigree or history, should have to fight for the right to the number one contender in that division. While Matt's status as a champion is undeniable, I don't think it's a right that he has.......call me silly. I think that Maia deserves a shot at Silva before Matt does.

Now, does this mean that I think Matt's accomplishments as the UFC's WW champion mean nothing? No. I think he's the best champion that the UFC has ever had, but I don't think it has any bearing on him as a MW.

Just my two lincolns.....and then some; let the punches fly.

Later.
I don't see how you don't think Rampage deserves a shot. He lost a razor close decision that could have gone either way. He has beaten Wanderlei and Jardine. Two top 10 lhw's in the world .. people talk about lyoto, but the first top 10 guy he beat was silva ... soko was his biggest win before that and we have seen how he turned out ... i say make lyoto fight someone in the top ten again like forrest before he gets a shot ....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70
I know that there are circumstances of the fight that people disagree with, but isn't Dan Henderson a good wrestler? Regardless of what happened early in the fight, and how certain events in the fight transpired, the end result is that Anderson Silva had his hands raised at the end of the fight.

Later.
True~true no doubt about that, but I believe Matt is a better wrestler. Maybe its just because I have faith that he could do it and also that Silva is not invincible like he's made out to be. And that people seem to think that Matt isn't capable of doing it at this point in his career.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

I would love to see this. Remember how dominant Matt was when he did the catch weight fight with Gracie. I think his takedowns would neutralize Silva's striking. I think this would be a fun fight!
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundNPound
At this point in time and without the title, there is no way Matt deserves an instant title shot.

And not to be mean, but I don't think Matt would stand much of a chance at this point his career. Alves and GSP both made Matt look a little small...imagine what Silva and Henderson would look like when they cut from over 200 lbs.....Again, not being mean, just realistic.

And you could look at it like Matt would be Silva's poison with his wrestling and submissions or you could look at like Silva is Matt's worst nightmare. A guy who can move well and avoid takedowns while using his tremendous reach and probably the best striking in the division. Sounds like a short night for Matt.

At this point in his career there are plenty of tough fights at 170 if Matt wanted them. Matt, IMO, would need to beat Alves to even think about moving up. If he can't beat him then why would you think he can beat the middleweights?
Would matt get to fight at middleweight against Alves this time? I mean Alves got to fight him at LHW...and Matt had to stay at the contracted weight!
I also think Matt has the perfect training partner for preparing for Silva in Robbie. I'm sure Chuck would come down and help out too.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[

Last edited by Llamafighter; 03-09-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
CAVEMAN
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[QUOTE=GroundNPound]

Alves and GSP both made Matt look a little small...imagine what Silva and Henderson would look like when they cut from over 200 lbs.....Again, not being mean, just realistic.

[QUOTE]

I think Matt would be alot bigger at 185. He certainly would not have to cut as much which can take a toll on a persons body. And it is my understanding that Matt walks around naturally at 190-195. Nate would probably be able to confirm that......But I definitely think that Matt could be a very strong presence at 185.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
I think Matt would be alot bigger at 185. He certainly would not have to cut as much which can take a toll on a persons body. And it is my understanding that Matt walks around naturally at 190-195. Nate would probably be able to confirm that......But I definitely think that Matt could be a very strong presence at 185.
The man himself said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt hughes
185-187 most of the time
See post #8:
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
billwilliams70
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I agree with that completely, but they opened that can of worms a long time ago, might as well give Matt the shot if he wants it. At least he's more decorated than any of the others you've mentioned above.
Yes, it is a can of worms that the "UFC Gods" have opened up....giving "Divine Rights Title Shots" to fighters that for one reason or another don't deserve them.

Heck, let's get Dan "The Beast" Severn a title shot with Brock Lesnar just because he may want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I don't see how you don't think Rampage deserves a shot. He lost a razor close decision that could have gone either way. He has beaten Wanderlei and Jardine. Two top 10 lhw's in the world .. people talk about lyoto, but the first top 10 guy he beat was silva ... soko was his biggest win before that and we have seen how he turned out ... i say make lyoto fight someone in the top ten again like forrest before he gets a shot ....
I sent you a PM with my response to this because I didn't feel a sidebar debate regarding Rampage's title shot was needed in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
True~true no doubt about that, but I believe Matt is a better wrestler. Maybe its just because I have faith that he could do it and also that Silva is not invincible like he's made out to be. And that people seem to think that Matt isn't capable of doing it at this point in his career.
I'm not saying that Matt's not capable at this point in his career Miss Foxy, I'm saying that he doesn't deserve a title shot for the MW title at this point in time........I also feel that Henderson is just as good of a wrestler for his weight class as Matt was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
I would love to see this. Remember how dominant Matt was when he did the catch weight fight with Gracie. I think his takedowns would neutralize Silva's striking. I think this would be a fun fight!
Comparing an aging Royce Gracie to today's Anderson Silva is crazy. Anderson Silva would destroy Royce Gracie now.....but what does that really tell us?

Look. I'm a big Matt Hughes fan, but I just don't think that he deserves a MW title shot because of his WW accomplishments. He hasn't won a fight since 3 March 2007 (two years ago). I'm not hatin', nor am I being disrespectful to Matt's accomplishments as the WW champion, but that's a fact. I'm really looking forward to 23 May so Matt Hughes can erase the two loss streak and destroy Matt Sera, but Sera is certainly not a stepping stone to the title that Anderson Silva holds.

Later.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70
Yes, it is a can of worms that the "UFC Gods" have opened up....giving "Divine Rights Title Shots" to fighters that for one reason or another don't deserve them.

Heck, let's get Dan "The Beast" Severn a title shot with Brock Lesnar just because he may want it.

I sent you a PM with my response to this because I didn't feel a sidebar debate regarding Rampage's title shot was needed in this thread.

I'm not saying that Matt's not capable at this point in his career Miss Foxy, I'm saying that he doesn't deserve a title shot for the MW title at this point in time........I also feel that Henderson is just as good of a wrestler for his weight class as Matt was.

Comparing an aging Royce Gracie to today's Anderson Silva is crazy. Anderson Silva would destroy Royce Gracie now.....but what does that really tell us?

Look. I'm a big Matt Hughes fan, but I just don't think that he deserves a MW title shot because of his WW accomplishments. He hasn't won a fight since 3 March 2007 (two years ago). I'm not hatin', nor am I being disrespectful to Matt's accomplishments as the WW champion, but that's a fact. I'm really looking forward to 23 May so Matt Hughes can erase the two loss streak and destroy Matt Sera, but Sera is certainly not a stepping stone to the title that Anderson Silva holds.

Later.
Im not taking it that your hating on Matt or nothing everyone is entitled to they're respectable opinions so its cool on my end. I just feel that he is capable of doing it so only time will tell and your opinions are respected.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.