Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 AM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Matt's accomplishments and history alone give him a straight shot at Silva if he wants it. There's no doubt it would be an enormous PPV buy. Matt always wants to fight the best and Silva is the best.

It'd be interesting to see. Many people have taken down Silva fairly easily, but Silva's good on his back. I wonder how well he would fare against a much shorter frame like Matt's.
I agree with the first part of the statement for sure. I know on sherdog(i know that other site) I've stated the samething. I think matt being a loyal employee of the UFC along with what hes accomplished gives him a better chance at a shot.
I think its all upto Dana and what he thinks is best for the UFC. Now if Silva destroys Thale and then ends up destroying I'm assuming Hendo or Bisping, then maybe Matt could get a straight shot at him.
Now u throw Wandi in the MW division and I know Dana and fans would love to see a Wandi/Silva match.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2
I know Dana and fans would love to see a Wandi/Silva match.
I love watching Wanderlei Silva fights!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 AM
foggy

OK, so maybe the consensus is that he should get an immediate title shot if he makes the move.

It's pretty clear that Anderson Silva has PLOWED through the MW division with much ease. I was disappointed at the time RF lost to him the first time and really thought Franklin could learn from his mistakes and get his belt back, but it did not happen. I don't see anyone really beating Silva. What tools are all his opponents missing? What does Matt Hughes have that might make the fight different.

I'm thinking strength and explosiveness, but Silva is taller with a longer reach and an incredible ability to pick apart his opponent with both punches and knees.

I
Old 03-09-2009, 03:15 AM
jignpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I love watching Wanderlei Silva fights!
my money is on silva!!....i bet he wins in a fight between wand and anderson....
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy
OK, so maybe the consensus is that he should get an immediate title shot if he makes the move.

It's pretty clear that Anderson Silva has PLOWED through the MW division with much ease. I was disappointed at the time RF lost to him the first time and really thought Franklin could learn from his mistakes and get his belt back, but it did not happen. I don't see anyone really beating Silva. What tools are all his opponents missing? What does Matt Hughes have that might make the fight different.

I'm thinking strength and explosiveness, but Silva is taller with a longer reach and an incredible ability to pick apart his opponent with both punches and knees.

I
Silva's susceptible to submissions though. Hendo got him down a few times and was able to hold him for most of the 1st round, but Hendo isn't very well versed in submissions and Travis Lutter simply gassed.

My opinion is a great wrestler who's well versed in submissions would be Anderson's poison. Matt has that and even though he's smaller than Hendo and Lutter, I'm sure he's stronger than they are.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
That's an interesting question, but it's not relevant. GSP is no where near the caliber of champion that Matt was. GSP was only 4 title wins in 3 years. Matt racked up 9 wins in 5 years, plus a win against over-weight Joe Riggs & a domination of the legend Royce Gracie. As much as the sherdoggers wanna proclaim him an MMA god, GSP is light years away from accomplishing what Matt has.
Exactly highly anticipated and overrated...Slippery when wet...
Old 03-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Silva's susceptible to submissions though. Hendo got him down a few times and was able to hold him for most of the 1st round, but Hendo isn't very well versed in submissions and Travis Lutter simply gassed.

My opinion is a great wrestler who's well versed in submissions would be Anderson's poison. Matt has that and even though he's smaller than Hendo and Lutter, I'm sure he's stronger than they are.
I agree Rockdawg21 a good wrestler would be very dangerous for Silva!! Strength and grappling would do the trick.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
billwilliams70

Personally, I don't think that Matt should get an immediate title shot @ Silva. I don't think that BJ should have gotten the title shot, I don't think that Rampage should get a title shot, and I don't think that Brock Lesnar should have gotten a title shot (when he did).

I think a fighter, regardless of pedigree or history, should have to fight for the right to the number one contender in that division. While Matt's status as a champion is undeniable, I don't think it's a right that he has.......call me silly. I think that Maia deserves a shot at Silva before Matt does.

Now, does this mean that I think Matt's accomplishments as the UFC's WW champion mean nothing? No. I think he's the best champion that the UFC has ever had, but I don't think it has any bearing on him as a MW.

Just my two lincolns.....and then some; let the punches fly.

Later.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
I agree Rockdawg21 a good wrestler would be very dangerous for Silva!! Strength and grappling would do the trick.
I know that there are circumstances of the fight that people disagree with, but isn't Dan Henderson a good wrestler? Regardless of what happened early in the fight, and how certain events in the fight transpired, the end result is that Anderson Silva had his hands raised at the end of the fight.

Later.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70
Personally, I don't think that Matt should get an immediate title shot @ Silva. I don't think that BJ should have gotten the title shot, I don't think that Rampage should get a title shot, and I don't think that Brock Lesnar should have gotten a title shot (when he did).

I think a fighter, regardless of pedigree or history, should have to fight for the right to the number one contender in that division. While Matt's status as a champion is undeniable, I don't think it's a right that he has.......call me silly. I think that Maia deserves a shot at Silva before Matt does.

Now, does this mean that I think Matt's accomplishments as the UFC's WW champion mean nothing? No. I think he's the best champion that the UFC has ever had, but I don't think it has any bearing on him as a MW.

Just my two lincolns.....and then some; let the punches fly.

Later.
I agree completely.