Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Instead of being a haven and base for the Demons...its probably staffed by Righteous Host who keep the ungodly in place...Because Hell isnt now a place without GOD...but a place of GODs Wrath...note GODS WRATH, not Satans...it ceased belonging to Satan when Christ entered Hell...this is why death was broken...the impossibility of GOD in Hell...doesnt damage GOD...rather it completely nullifies Hell.

Revelations is also Clear that Hell is NOT Eternal...The common missconception is to think that The Lake of Fire is the entrance to Hell...hence the term Burning in Hell...but NO...the Lake of Fire is Oblivion...for Hell is Cast INTO that Fire.
These too. Supporting verse please.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
It seems I recall a sermon I heard about there being a place where condemed souls go until they are cast into hell but I cannot recall the specifics. Do you have a verse to support your claim?
No...thats what some of the scholars say about the translation...they say the Scriptures use different words, and they suppose each word means a different place. Therefore, they would say Hell is both a place before, and also a place after passing through the fire

As for my views specifically about judgement IN chronology...thats actually suposition...based on the fact that the Bible says in revelation that Christ rules over the world, ON EARTH, for a Millenia....I wonder what else he could do? he must be doing something if he's governing for a thousand years...it also makes more sense about the earth giving up its dead...I mean, if Christ actually came to EARTH for Judgement...that makes more sense...because that passage seems to imply that everyone dies and waits in the ground for the tribulation...and then up from their graves they all arise

Thats really my own theological point it makes logical sense...but may not be true
Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Who is in Hell? EVERYONE who rejects Jesus Christ (The Messiah), denies His oneness with GOD, and refuses to give up EVERYTHING to become His slave for eternity. I would say that 85-95% of people who claim to be Christians are going to be cast into Hell.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Who is in Hell? EVERYONE who rejects Jesus Christ (The Messiah), denies His oneness with GOD, and refuses to give up EVERYTHING to become His slave for eternity. I would say that 85-95% of people who claim to be Christians are going to be cast into Hell.
Expand on that if you will................
Old 03-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Chris F

No one yet. But after Armageddon Satan and his Angels and all those who rejected the free gift of Christ will be in hell plain and simple
Old 03-25-2011, 03:46 AM
BamaGrits84

[QUOTE=NateR;159364]refuses to give up EVERYTHING to become His slave for eternity[QUOTE]

You got some verses to back that comment up? Maybe it is the use of the word "slave" because it seems to indicate force, and I think "eternity" in more in line with unending worship because of the glory it is to be in His place.

And I wasn't literally asking who goes to hell, but more wondering what people thing about this rere and his book. But I'm all about stepping off topic slightly so lets carry on with it as a general question.

Now on with your support. I know you usually have plenty.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:28 PM
surveyorshawn

I think Holtz got confused initially because of a common fallacy in regard to salvation in the church. I have to run, but I'll expound on it when I get back.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Maglorius

When it comes to Rob Bell it is very hard to nail down exactly what it is he is trying to accomplish. I have read all his books and have watched all his nooma videos. There is only one nooma video out of about 20 that I would recommend to watch. There was a time that I really liked listening to him(I listened to every sermon he preached for about three years) and our church youth pastors were really into his teachings. I trusted them so I didn't question what they were using to teach the bible. That all changed when I had my father in law watch his one video call Everything is Spiritual. Which is quite an amazing and entertaining sermon. My father in law has been a christian for about 40 years and is quite intelligent. At the end of the video my father in law actually liked it but for one thing, Bell forgot to mention the fall of humanity. He touched on everything else except for that one detail. So I continued to listen to his sermons and found that he rarely speaks on the sinfulness of the human nature, or about repentance. That was about three or so years ago and I have not really paid any attention to Rob Bell since.

What I have learned about Rob Bell is that he grew up in the church, probably a strict evangelical upbringing and is now railing against the way he was brought up and taught. He doesn't really want to teach you what the bible says, but what the church teaches isn't quite right, but it is up to you to decide. He seems like he doesn't want to influence anyone in the wrong way.
In his book he states the he and his wife don't want to raise there kids in any way that they have as little as possible to unlearn later in life. Seems like he may have some parental issues.

I am about half way through Love Wins and like one commentator said, he leads you down a lot of rabbit holes. He asks whole lot of questions but never really gives you a concrete answer. He plays loosely with scripture pulling single lines of scripture out of there context as a whole and puts a different meaning to them.

Here is the one way he plays with the greek and I hope NateR has a look at this. Bell calls into question the use of the greek Aion. That this greek word has more than one meaning. It could mean age, period of time and that the use of it as meaning eternity is incorrect and more accurate to be translated as an age or period of time. So that people are not in hell for eternity but a period of time or for an age.

That is my take so far.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Expand on that if you will................
Matthew 10:37-39
“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it."

Luke 14:26-27
“If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple."
Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 PM
CAVEMAN

I would put Rob Bell in the same camp with Rick Warren.......Emergent Church!

They preach the old feel good message about GOD being a GOD of Love and a GOD of forgiveness, which is all true! But, never about a GOD who will judge and destroy the wicked and unrepentant.

If I remember, Rick Warren wouldn't even pray in the name of Jesus during Obmanations inauguration.