Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-22-2011, 11:53 PM

I'm not real familiar with Phil Davis but the rest of the list looks good - let's just substitute Machida for him.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 AM
wavetar

Phil Davis is an awesome talent, kind of where Jones was at a year or 2 ago...everyone thinks he's good, but still unproven against bigger opponents. I'd put Machida on the list ahead of him. I agree Rua could do better, but even at 100% health & focus I still give it to Jones, and probably via another stoppage.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetar View Post
Phil Davis is an awesome talent, kind of where Jones was at a year or 2 ago...everyone thinks he's good, but still unproven against bigger opponents. I'd put Machida on the list ahead of him. I agree Rua could do better, but even at 100% health & focus I still give it to Jones, and probably via another stoppage.
Thanks, wavetar, I'll pay more attention next time he fights!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 AM
wavetar

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Thanks, wavetar, I'll pay more attention next time he fights!
Well, you get a chance this weekend! He's fighting lil' Nog, whom I think he will soundly beat. When he wins, I hope he gets Bader so we can see how he stacks up against a recent Jones opponent who's talented in his own right.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

thank you to the people that said Machida... I was thinking that he should be on the list as well.. but I am a bit of a n'hugger.. if anything just cause he makes traditional karate work in MMA...
Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 AM

I was gonna start a post saying that I think Rampage or Machida are the men who can take Jones.

I think Jones with his talent and mentality could hold the title for a long time and I want him to but I do wish to see him challenged.

I think Rampage has enough know how not to get brutalised in wrestling and is the only fighter I know to step in and throw powerful smooth combos when under pressue and in close. See the Machida fight when Lyoto was piling in and then suddenly Jackson fought back.

I think he could rumble with Bones.

I think Machida or Silva offer the speed and presence of mind to battle jones.

Would be great great fights
Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 AM
rearnakedchoke

only people imo on that list that can beat jones are rampage and mr. wonderful ... davis needs more time and rampage can only hope to stuff a takedown and clock jones .. saying that, i would bet on jones if any of them fights happened.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Primadawn

If there HAS to BE a list, yeah Machida should be on it...but I don't think he would beat Jones.

I agree with whomever said Silva's the only one who "could" beat him...I'd LOOOOVE to see that fight and I think Jones is the only fighter in a LONG time that I thought could beat Silva.

Hope they make it happen!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn View Post
If there HAS to BE a list, yeah Machida should be on it...but I don't think he would beat Jones.

I agree with whomever said Silva's the only one who "could" beat him...I'd LOOOOVE to see that fight and I think Jones is the only fighter in a LONG time that I thought could beat Silva.

Hope they make it happen!
it's weird .. cuz dana said that anderson doesn't want to fight at 205 .. which is weird ... but maybe he'll change his mind soon ...
Old 01-19-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Haha, brought back from the dead. So far, this article is 0/2 of the original 5 listed:

1. Anderson Silva
2. Rashad Evans
3. Rampage Jackson
4. Phil Davis
5. Shogun Rua

I'm very confident saying that Davis and Evans would suffer the same fate as Jackson and Rua.