Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default UPDATE to "Schools taking allergy precautions too far?"

This is an update to this thread: Schools taking allergy precautions too far?

The parents are fighting back, good for them! 650+ students shouldn't have to suffer because of 1 students' problems, that's BS.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42212235...hma/?GT1=43001
Quote:
School parents want girl with peanut allergy sent home
First-graders in Florida school required to wash hands, rinse out their mouths before entering classroom

updated 2 hours 11 minutes ago

ORLANDO, Florida Some public school parents in Edgewater, Florida, want a first-grade girl with life-threatening peanut allergies removed from the classroom and home-schooled, rather than deal with special rules to protect her health, a school official said.

"That was one of the suggestions that kept coming forward from parents, to have her home schooled. But we're required by federal law to provide accommodations. That's just not even an option for us," said Nancy Wait, spokeswoman for the Volusia County School District.

Wait said the 6-year-old's peanut allergy is so severe it is considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

To protect the girl, students in her class at Edgewater Elementary School are required to wash their hands before entering the classroom in the morning and after lunch, and rinse out their mouths, Wait said, and a peanut-sniffing dog checked out the school during last week's spring break.

Wait said school leaders will meet this week with parents to address concerns and try to halt inaccurate rumors that children's mouths were being wiped with disinfectant.

Chris Burr, a father of two older students at the school whose wife has protested at the campus, said a lot of small accommodations have added up to frustration for many parents.

"If I had a daughter who had a problem, I would not ask everyone else to change their lives to fit my life," said Burr.

Attempts to reach the girl's parents for comment on Monday were unsuccessful.

Copyright 2011 Thomson Reuters.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Common sense prevails.

The thing that I found most absurd was the peanut-sniffing dog.

Sheesh.

I'm glad you posted the update, rockdawg, I often think "what happened with that story?" and it's great to know that parents got together and made some noise.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Common sense prevails.

The thing that I found most absurd was the peanut-sniffing dog.

Sheesh.

I'm glad you posted the update, rockdawg, I often think "what happened with that story?" and it's great to know that parents got together and made some noise.
If I were in that school, I'd of smuggled peanuts in coffee grounds.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 PM
BamaGrits84

I don't remember the original story saying what grade it was which was something I was wondering. I have a child that age and knowing how he is I can knowingly say that with so much risk being involved there is no way this girl could be in public schools. 6 and 7 years old don't listen very well. You could tell those kids 100 times but i bet one will eventually sneak in reese cups or a snickers. then what? these parents are banking on a bunch of 1st graders follwing a dozen rules to keep thier daughter safe? i don't care what the school does unless they get a peanut detector installed and go to airport style security she will be at risk. so forget what the school has to do, it is too much to expect the children to keep up with.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Administrator

I was thinking that the parents of non-allergic kids should organize several "Bring a peanut butter sandwich to school" days, when the students AND their parents all bring unwrapped peanut butter sandwiches to the school to force this girl to go home for the day (or announce it ahead of time so she doesn't even go to school that day). Keep doing this day after day until the girl's parents withdraw her from the school and look for other education options.

It sounds cruel, but the entire school of 600+ kids shouldn't be forced to conform themselves to this one girl's disability. Sure the parents might compare it to building a ramp for a wheelchair-bound kid; but that's not an accurate comparison at all. This is more along the lines of building ramps for the school, removing all the stairs, and forcing every student to use wheelchairs while they are on school property.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I was thinking that the parents of non-allergic kids should organize several "Bring a peanut butter sandwich to school" days, when the students AND their parents all bring unwrapped peanut butter sandwiches to the school to force this girl to go home for the day
It sounds cruel,
You do realize that anaphylactic shock kills dont you Nathan?? Cruel is not the word I Would have used

All of you have spent your entire arguments on your own selfish thoughts about utilitarian principles surrounding a group of students. What you should really note is the fact that its in the best interest of the sufferer not to be put in the danger in the first place FOR HER OWN SAKE...but you all complain about the lengths the other kids, who are in NO danger at all, have to go through.

TO the extent of..."lets force the sufferer to have an allergic reaction so she leaves us alone" that is morally bankrupt!! lets all get together a shower a pupil in peanuts, lets all bring in peanut butter sandwhiches?!? that could KILL.

Forearmed with that knowledge, any idiot who took your advice would be guilty of murder. Knowingly doing something that will get someone else killed so they can live as they want. Remind you of a certain Israelite King?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
You do realize that anaphylactic shock kills dont you Nathan?? Cruel is not the word I Would have used

All of you have spent your entire arguments on your own selfish thoughts about utilitarian principles surrounding a group of students. What you should really note is the fact that its in the best interest of the sufferer not to be put in the danger in the first place FOR HER OWN SAKE...but you all complain about the lengths the other kids, who are in NO danger at all, have to go through.

TO the extent of..."lets force the sufferer to have an allergic reaction so she leaves us alone" that is morally bankrupt!! lets all get together a shower a pupil in peanuts, lets all bring in peanut butter sandwhiches?!? that could KILL.

Forearmed with that knowledge, any idiot who took your advice would be guilty of murder. Knowingly doing something that will get someone else killed so they can live as they want. Remind you of a certain Israelite King?
I agree!!! The childs safety is ultimately the priority so even if home school is the best I can agree, however this child is not the enemy. I would never wish half of these suggestions on my worst enemy. That child could die to knowingly do something in spite is a bunch of garbage.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
BamaGrits84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

ALL OF YOU - selfish? I thought that was what happened when the demands of 1 got put above everyone else. You have misused this word. But I do think it is very selfish of her parents to put the school and other kids through this when homeschooling their child would be best for HER!

And I never said to force a reactions on the poor girl, but 6 and 7 year old do not normally understand the seriousness of these type of situations which is exactly why I think regardless of what the SCHOOL does, the health of the little girl depending on 6 and 7 year old following the steps to keep their classmate safe is foolish.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84 View Post
ALL OF YOU - selfish? I thought that was what happened when the demands of 1 got put above everyone else.
I didnt mean Selfish as in only caring about yourself...I meant Selfish as in only caring about the majority. Utilitarian Principles...is an ethical stream of thought summed up beautifully as "the needs of the many outweight the needs of the few" What should be done, is what brings happiness to the most number of people.

In this case a Utilitarian would have said more or less, word for word, Nathans post.

But this can also have a dire, dire effect on the minority...worryingly of all, its largest application is either in Government, or, even worse, in Military Strategy.

Libya is a prime example. The premise is that one should do what brings the best to the most. Well, most people want to be free of Gaddafi...so its alright to Bomb those who might or might not be innocent, but associated with him...because they are a minority.

Similarly, it can be extended to situations that lead to military personnel being "expendable" because of the "Greater Good" I was talking more about everyones insistance on using that ethical system at the expense of first trying to sort out the actual victim so to speak

sorry for the confusion
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Sure the parents might compare it to building a ramp for a wheelchair-bound kid; but that's not an accurate comparison at all. This is more along the lines of building ramps for the school, removing all the stairs, and forcing every student to use wheelchairs while they are on school property.
Great analogy.