Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I'm just saying that there have been instances before of teammates switching weight classes rather than fighting one another. I'm also saying that there are cases for teammates refusing to fight one another. There are also cases (mainly in TUF ) of fighter from the same team having to face each other. I'm not blaming Jon for being willing to fight, I'm not blaming Rashad for changing his mind about switching classes, I'm not blaming Rashad for wanting to leave Team Jackson. The only thing that I've not liked is Rashad being upset that Jones was included in the first place.

That being said, I can understand your distaste with Jackson. I guess it's a matter of how you look at things: is Jackson Rashad's coach, or is Rashad Jackson's fighter, know what I mean? Rashad seems to think (and this is also your view, I think) that it's the fighter first, with the coachs merely as a support staff (ie., Jackson is Rashad's coach). If that's the case, then Jackson bringing in a guy who would pull his focus away from his primary is pretty sheisty.

However, if the focus is the coach & the camp, with the fighters as members of a stable (ie, Rashad is Jackson's fighter), then Jackson was simply doing the smart thing in recruiting the hot talent before another team got ahold of him (like college coaches sending scouts to high school games).

And I don't think that there's a hard-and-fast answer across the board. I mean, for BJ & Matt, it's clearly the former. For Team Jackson, ATT & AKA, however, I think it's more of the latter. It's just a matter of knowing which you'd rather be part of & finding a gym that meshes with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Big difference.. that was a TEAM.. Jackson's is a camp..
If it's a "camp", then what's with all this "brother-brother" crap from Jackson to Rashad regarding Jon being brought in.

Foxy is 100% right, that Jackson is a slimy little greasy weasel! He wants to schmooze these guys into thinking "he's their coach" and "they're all 'brothers' here", but his actions speak to "they're just his fighters". He's a sly one for sure.

I thought Flo brought up a good point. I also agree with Chuck, Rashad came across respectful in the article given how upset he is.

Ben, Rashad did say in the article you first posted that at first he was opposed to Jon joining them, but he also later says he was then okay with it. And, Jackson asked Rashad how he felt about Jon joining them so he told him. Of course, it looks like it was really just a fake gesture anyways; he intended to bring Jones in no matter how Rashad or anyone else felt about it.

Lastly, all this "they can train together and Jackson can coach both of them...be friends..." is not a practical or realistic scenario to me in this situation at all. JM2Cs

Last edited by Bonnie; 03-22-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I'd feel like both Matt and GSP would both be even better than they already are. They would have been training with someone at the very top level in their weight class. Steel sharpens steel.
It's really not as simple as that. There would have probably been some issues had that happened. It's just not a cool thing to do.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Big difference.. that was a TEAM.. Jackson's is a camp..
according to who? all of the fighters there constantly talk about how close they are and greg wants his fighters to promise not to fight each other and blah blah blah. Their gym isn't just a team, it's a soap opera.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Maldonado136

Quote:

Greg Jackson seems to have a history of running Ultimate Fighter (TUF) champions out of town for the new kids on the block. Back in 2008 Diego Sanchez told us at MMAmania.com they "took a little something out of his heart" when Jackson brought Georges St. Pierre to Albuquerque in the midst of Diego's pursuit of the welterweight title.
This is what I was talking about in my 1st post. That was way worse though because gsp already had the belt. At least when Jones was brought in he was like 3 wins away from a title shot. But still it kinda makes you question how much a fighter can trust Greg. Diego had been there since he was like 16 or 17 and he was so close to the title shot. It's a loyalty thing.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM
wavetar

I don't know...I've always thought Diego was a whiny b*tch for crying & leaving when Jackson brought GSP into the camp. In my mind, my on earth would Jackson NOT want to have the champ in his camp? For that matter, why wouldn't Diego want to train with GSP for a few years, learn & get better, then if necessary leave to train elsewhere for a title shot? I suppose I can see the other side of it now, reading through articles & this thread here. I don't blame Jon for being willing to fight Rashad, and I can see why Rashad is upset...too bad him getting injured in training is what set this whole thing in motion. I wonder if it was Jon who injured him?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Maldonado136

Diego injured Rashad. Also here is a funny recent interview with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp4onuRy71Q
Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Miss Foxy

"One thing to remember is Rashad is instrumental in this whole Jackson phenomenon starting. Without Rashad, who knows if it ever would have happened? He was one of the first guys to come in from out of town and join the team. And he was a guy who, when the sport was growing, he was winning fights and everybody was looking at him as he was getting better. People were calling Rashad up and he was bringing people to town, and without him, who knows if any of that would have ever happened? Without Rashad Evans, maybe this Jackson's phenomena never happens."

"You know, I haven't thought about it too much, but no question I would be supporting Rashad," Jardine said. "He's one of my closest friends in the world. I have a lot of loyalty and friendship with him."

"It'll never be the same, you know? This gym, when the UFC broke out in 2005, was built on me, Rashad, Nate Marquardt, Joey Villasenor and Diego Sanchez. Nate's going to stay in Denver most the time now. That's sort of like the old generation, and they're welcoming the future with Jon Jones, and that's kind of where it is right now. For me, there's no hard feelings; it's just business."

Jackson Teammate Keith Jardine talks about the history of Rashad Evans at Team Jackson as well as the implications of his departure with ESPN. If Evans was instrumental in building the most recognizable brand in MMA training one might think that there would be a sense of loyalty in regards to the former champ and his trainers. However with a new champ crowned under the banner, it appears as if the line has been drawn and Rashad stands opposite of the former team he helped create and in his place, the new champ of the 205 division Jon Jones. Will this start a trend in the UFC that will put teammate vs teammate in the future?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post

That was AWESOME! Nice find, Maldonado. The first part was hilarious. I don't see why some people call Rashad a dbag, he was articulate, he had a good attitude about his injury that kept him from fighting Rua, he's down to earth and has a great sense of humor.

"Durango" Sanchez, lol! And his grandma saying she fell asleep during his fight.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post

Great video.

I'm torn regarding Evans... I really enjoy the funny, articulate, respectful guy that was in this interview. I really hate the trash talking, ghetto acting punk that he is other times. So I'm really not sure if I could call myself a fan or not.

BUT... with regards to the recent events I honestly don't see how people are finding fault with Evans or Jackson. I don't think either one of them did anything wrong.

It takes 2 people to make a fight. Evans isn't a victim, he has the choice not to fight Jones. It's not like he's being forced.

Every fighter or at least MOST fighters out there want to fight the best. Are coaches/trainers any different? Don't they want to train the best? Jones is pretty amazing and even his haters (if he has any) have to admit that. If Jackson had/has an opportunity to train him he would be an idiot to turn that down.

This whole thing is unfortunate on many counts but not all unfortunate situations are somebody's fault. Sometimes they just happen.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 AM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Still doesn't jive with me. You can use Matt as an example all you want. This is just very shady of Jackson not Jones. Jackson has always been slimy IMHO.
i don't think jackson was happy with the whole thing about jones getting the title shot cuz he knew this was going to happen ...