Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 03-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Default Battle for Los Angeles

Anyone else seen this yet? I thought it was pretty good. Kind of like a realistic version of Independence Day on a much smaller scale. I was a little worried when I saw that Aaron Eckhart was in it, since I'm not a big fan of his, but he played a good role in this movie. In fact, all of the characters were well portrayed. You could tell that whoever wrote the movie is either ex-military or just has a great deal of respect for our fighting forces.

I saw it with Mark on Tuesday night and I think we would both agree that there were some predictable moments; but there was definitely more good than bad.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Anyone else seen this yet? I thought it was pretty good. Kind of like a realistic version of Independence Day on a much smaller scale. I was a little worried when I saw that Aaron Eckhart was in it, since I'm not a big fan of his, but he played a good role in this movie. In fact, all of the characters were well portrayed. You could tell that whoever wrote the movie is either ex-military or just has a great deal of respect for our fighting forces.

I saw it with Mark on Tuesday night and I think we would both agree that there were some predictable moments; but there was definitely more good than bad.
Aaron was on Attack of the Show last week talking about it & send they spent 6 weeks in "boot camp" learning weapons, insignia, commands, etc. & that there were always at least 3 Marines on set with them at all times to make sure they were getting everything right. Example: Aaron kept calling for "choppers" instead of "helos".
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Aaron was on Attack of the Show last week talking about it & send they spent 6 weeks in "boot camp" learning weapons, insignia, commands, etc. & that there were always at least 3 Marines on set with them at all times to make sure they were getting everything right. Example: Aaron kept calling for "choppers" instead of "helos".
That's cool, you could definitely see that in the film. I also liked how they didn't give the actors the typical "Hollywood" hairstyles, they stuck with the regulation military haircuts.

I would like to see a sequel to this movie, since I think there is a bigger story to tell in there.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Chuck

I saw it last night with 3 of my kids. We all enjoyed it. Sure it was predictable but just because it's predictable doesn't meant you can't enjoy it.

To me it was a cross between Independence Day and Black Hawk Down. It fell far short of both of those but I still enjoyed it.

I thought Aaron did a good job. I like him as an actor.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
County Mike

"Get to the Helo" just doesn't have the same effect.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

you mean you didn't find will smith punching out an alien realistic? or you didn't think the president would get in a warplane himself? .. couldn't you see obama using his military experience in saving mankind?

i haven't seen the movie, but i think i'll take my son and go watch it ...
Old 03-18-2011, 02:13 PM
billwilliams70

I thought the movie was pretty good too. My wife and I saw it last weekend after church.

It was action-packed, that's for sure.

Later.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
you mean you didn't find will smith punching out an alien realistic? or you didn't think the president would get in a warplane himself? ..
Or how a drunken crop duster, who hadn't flown a jet since Vietnam, could just jump into an F-18 and actually get it off the ground without ramming it into the side of a skyscraper? Or a computer virus, written on a DOS-based Windows laptop, actually shutting down an entire alien computer network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
couldn't you see obama using his military experience in saving mankind?
Yeah, we all know what fierce warriors those "community organizers" can be on the battlefield.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Here is what I thought of it...some SERIOUS plot holes

This wasnt a bad watch, far better then I thought it would be judging by the trailors. For one moment I worried that it was going to be something like a tranformers film, just a load of unrealistic special effects. I was pleasently suprised to find it was an old tale but orriginally and very nicely done. There was a nice theame that I thought ran through the film involving those who are in command, and whose mistakes cost the lives of others, and their ways of dealing and coping with that. The unfortunate thing about the film was that in the three of four scenes where these special events take place, we have lots of characterization, and for the rest of the film, there are two many actors, and one cant tell who is who during action sequences. So its hard to feel the ammount of empathy you might if the story was more characterization then plot. There were three elements to the plot, the rescue mission to the police station: escaping the firebombing of coastal LA: returning to LA to distroy the command centre. Really...had the whole film been dedicated only to the trip too the police station, and the rest of the time used for characterization, IMHO it would have worked just as well, if not better.

There were two major holes in the plot. The first...why would an alien race command a whole cities destruction by air through one command centre. Take out the centre, and the entire city is saved! Also...when all the meteors crashed in the ocean...and the command centre which is a magnificently LARGE structure, so large when it tries to flee, it has to be tugged through the air by drones...how did it end up burried under the ground in the first place? especially when there wasnt a big enough hole for it to get into? what did it do, insert itself like a tube, and then inflate like a balloon or something???

Finally, a race of aliens hell bent on stealing the liquid water on earth, need not engage in a land invasion period. They crash into the sea, and by the end of the first day, we hear that ocean levels have dropped in measured ammounts due to being sucked up and used in their machines...why venture onto land and conqure cities at all?

Why not simply have your water suckers in vast numbers off the coast and drain the oceans...the water from the land flows into it. You dont need to battle for land supremacy. For a species trying to use resources...doesnt that seem like a grande waste of time and effort?