Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
if these are theoretical exams to get into police training, i have no issues with it .. imo the practical training is the most important part of the recruitment process ... so if you got A+'s on all the test and fail the practical and interview process, you aren't gonna be a cop ... some people excel with hands on learning and problem-solving ... cops and firefighters aren't doing sit-down tests for their job, they are out there doing things ... so in this instance, i have no issues with them lowering the scores ..
Cops need to know the law if they are going to enforce it. That requires a lot of book knowledge and reading comprehension. Being a cop is not like a TV show, they need to keep themselves educated if they are going to do their job effectively.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:40 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Cops need to know the law if they are going to enforce it. That requires a lot of book knowledge and reading comprehension. Being a cop is not like a TV show, they need to keep themselves educated if they are going to do their job effectively.
that is true .. but if they didn't grasp the major issues in cop school, then they wouldn't pass the final exam ... being a cop is a very social career, i just don't think it should be based solely on how well you do in sit-down tests ...
Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
being a cop is a very social career, i just don't think it should be based solely on how well you do in sit-down tests ...
I would agree completely, but I do believe that intellectual knowledge of the law is a requirement before anyone can hope to wisely enforce the law. It just makes sense, you can't enforce laws that you yourself don't understand. So performance on sit-down tests shouldn't be EVERYTHING, but it should be at least 40-50% of any police officers qualifications.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I would agree completely, but I do believe that intellectual knowledge of the law is a requirement before anyone can hope to wisely enforce the law. It just makes sense, you can't enforce laws that you yourself don't understand. So performance on sit-down tests shouldn't be EVERYTHING, but it should be at least 40-50% of any police officers qualifications.
I agree that there should be a strict standard for general entrance tests. There's no doubt that on the job training happens in order to better function in a specific location (crime patterns, geography, etc) but a strong knowledge of law is essential.

[
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
County Mike

The crazy thing is, in NJ, police are being laid off because of budget cuts. This place has to lower the standards because they have a shortage of cops.

Maybe the newly unemployed NJ cops should move there and they can keep the test standards up.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Rather than worry about the Scott Walker death threats, our Department of Justice has ordered Dayton to dumb down its test scores to "D" and "F" to ensure more minorities can pass. Yes, really.

Quote:
The Dayton Police Department is lowering its testing standards for recruits. It’s a move required by the U.S. Department of Justice after it says not enough African-Americans passed the exam. Dayton is in desperate need of officers to replace dozens of retirees. The hiring process was postponed for months because the D.O.J. rejected the original scores provided by the Dayton Civil Service Board, which administers the test. Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.The D.O.J. approved new scoring policy only requires potential police officers to get a 58% and a 63%. That’s the equivalent of an ‘F’ and a ‘D’. “It becomes a safety issue for the people of our community,” said Dayton Fraternal Order of Police President, Randy Beane. “It becomes a safety issue to have an incompetent officer next to you in a life and death situation."

Reassuring, isn't it? Even the NAACP thinks this is a bad idea.

Quote:
“The NAACP does not support individuals failing a test and then having the opportunity to be gainfully employed,” agreed Dayton NAACP President Derrick Foward.The D.O.J. and Civil Service Board declined Dayton’s News Source’s repeat requests for interviews. The lower standards mean 258 more people passed the test. The city won’t say how many were minorities. “If you lower the score for any group of people, you’re not getting the best qualified people for the job,” Foward said. “We need to work with the youth and make them interested in becoming law enforcement officers and firefighters,” said Beane. “Break down the barriers whether they are real or perceived, so we can move forward in this community.” The D.O.J. has forced other police departments across the country to lower testing standards, citing once again that not enough black candidates were passing. The Dayton Firefighter recruit exam is coming up this summer. The chief said it’s likely the passing score for that test will be lowered as well.

This administration doesn't believe in American exceptionalism. Obama's DoJ proves that point by forcing this substandard testing upon our communities. They don't believe in encouraging minorities to strive for self-improvement; rather, lower the acceptable grades of entrance exams to satisy some quota. Cash-strapped cities are held hostage to potential suits if they fail to comply. Who pays? The minorities who are handed jobs they aren't qualified for, police and firefighters who are forced to put their lives in the hands of less competent coworkers and a public left with diminishing faith in the very people they pay to protect them. Now THAT'S equality!

Pathetic.

Link here
I agree with you, Flo, this is just completely ass backwards. You'd think the black community would be outraged about what this DOJ is outright saying about minorities by dumbing down these test scores.

Maybe they should do this for the secret service too. I think our President should have the same quality of "serve and protect" the people are getting.

Last edited by Bonnie; 03-16-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

It does sound like the DOJ is insulting Black people don't it?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 PM
BamaGrits84

Do you all remember last year when some New York fire fighters sued over their high test scores were thrown out because none of the minorities who took the test passed? The test to see who would get promoted. One of men who scored highest was Hispanic and he was involved in the law suit. The judge in the initial trail ruled that since no one was promoted, no one was discriminated against. I know there was an appeal but I don't know what ever became of that.

This reminds me of a state legislature rep that threw a fit when the COUNTY DA asked for people to start paying a fee for a pretrail program. This rep goes on the news and says "If this is put into place I'll have the NAACP involved and this is racist and blah blah blah." I wondered how stupid he must be because his actions basically screamed "Mainly black people get in trouble with the law." He said the same thing about red light cameras on a certain side of town and claimed that whole idea was racist even though most of the cameras are located in majority white areas. Idiot.

I wish so many people would stop treating minorites like the skin color disables them. It is BS and the thing to do would be encourage these people to study and try again.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Miss Foxy

I hate the word minority.. People that like to be labeled that are fkn nut jobs.. Someone calls me a minority I go off and correct them I am Melissa and no way any minority.. American just like you.... The labels need to go! Like VCU's siggie that was a quote from Mike.. It's so true.. These people should be offended they look retarded not being able to pass an exam they were schooled and trained for!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I hate the word minority.. People that like to be labeled that are fkn nut jobs.. Someone calls me a minority I go off and correct them I am Melissa and no way any minority.. American just like you.... The labels need to go! Like VCU's siggie that was a quote from Mike.. It's so true.. These people should be offended they look retarded not being able to pass an exam they were schooled and trained for!
Finally!! After all these years, me plagiarizing other people's thoughts has paid off!!