Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
So do you celebrate Easter then?
Did you know...I just finished my daily readings...and it says that you should not...well read it for yourself.

I think the Roman Catholics did it with the best intention and as an aid to help new converts...but GOD advises against it for the danger of relapse

You shall surely destroy all the places where the nations whom you shall dispossess served their gods, on the high mountains and on the hills and under every green tree. 3 You shall tear down their altars and dash in pieces their pillars and burn their Asherim with fire. You shall chop down the carved images of their gods and destroy their name out of that place. 4 You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way. 5 But you shall seek the place that the Lord your God will choose out of all your tribes to put his name and make his habitation [6] there. There you shall go, 6 and there you shall bring your burnt offerings and your sacrifices, your tithes and the contribution that you present, your vow offerings, your freewill offerings, and the firstborn of your herd and of your flock. 7 And there you shall eat before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your households, in all that you undertake, in which the Lord your God has blessed you.

GOD is basically saying, dont mask a wall of cracks with paint. Completely knock down the wall, and completely rebuild it It appears GOD wished to answer your question about the Method in which Catholics changed the pagen feasts.This came up in my Bible reading TODAY

He doesnt approve. Neither do I. but that doesnt make the Romans Evil, or non christian...it means, just like the Jews...they didnt bother asking GOD before doing something for good reasons...but without the knowledge of someone who could have advised them better
Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Where is Infant baptism in the Bible?

Ask Mary to pray for you? Catholics think they can communicate with the dead?

If Catholics dont have altar calls. Do you believe that the infant baptism or communion saves you?
Isn't Communion in the bible? didn't Jesus say "Do this in remembrance of me?"
Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Some denominations call it the Lord's Supper, others call it Communion, but that's not the point. Mark is saying that it doesn't save you. It's only for people who are already saved. The lost are not supposed to participate.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Yes, communion is in the Bible, but participating in communion is not a saving act, rather it's a sign of your faith.

Example: the ref raising your hand isn't what wins you the fight, rather it's a sign of your victory. Make sense?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Some denominations call it the Lord's Supper, others call it Communion, but that's not the point. Mark is saying that it doesn't save you. It's only for people who are already saved. The lost are not supposed to participate.
Doh! Too slow!!

Last edited by VCURamFan; 03-15-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Friggin' nate using his friggin' ninja Mod powers...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Some...Not All....You get the point im making...even if you try hard to avoid it. You know very well, that until the Roman Councils there was very little formal unification on the New Testament.

The "Christian Church" didnt exist until the Roman Change in State Religion...the Early Church didnt call itself Christian...it Called its self "The Way" and it looked on itself as being an extention of Judaism, hence why they used the Jewish Scripture...they considered themselves Messianic Jews.
The early Christ-followers broke from the Jewish religion after 70 AD, when Titus destroyed Jerusalem. The Jewish leaders blamed this new sect of Jesus-followers, so they were banished from worshipping in the Jewish synagogues after that (they would have been banished from the Temple as well, if the Temple had survived Jerusalem's destruction). So from 71 AD to 324 AD, Christianity was a separate religion. The term "Christian" is derived from a Greek word, which translated as "little Christs." It was a derogatory term meant to insult Jesus' followers, much like the modern terms "Jesus Freak" and "Bible Thumper" are today.

The early Church used the term "catholic" to describe itself as early as the 2nd century. However, the word catholic is a transliteration of the Greek word kath'holou which translates as "according to the whole" or "in general." The early Church used it like we would use the word "universal." So again, we need to make a distinction between the catholic (or universal) Church and the Roman Catholic Church. Just like the US government is based on a presbyterian form of government, but that doesn't mean that everyone in the US is a Presbyterian.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
The early Christ-followers broke from the Jewish religion after 70 AD, when Titus destroyed Jerusalem. The Jewish leaders blamed this new sect of Jesus-followers, so they were banished from worshipping in the Jewish synagogues after that (they would have been banished from the Temple as well, if the Temple had survived Jerusalem's destruction). So from 71 AD to 324 AD, Christianity was a separate religion. The term "Christian" is derived from a Greek word, which translated as "little Christs." It was a derogatory term meant to insult Jesus' followers, much like the modern terms "Jesus Freak" and "Bible Thumper" are today.

The early Church used the term "catholic" to describe itself as early as the 2nd century. However, the word catholic is a transliteration of the Greek word kath'holou which translates as "according to the whole" or "in general." The early Church used it like we would use the word "universal." So again, we need to make a distinction between the catholic (or universal) Church and the Roman Catholic Church. Just like the US government is based on a presbyterian form of government, but that doesn't mean that everyone in the US is a Presbyterian.
That is one of the most concise & yet thorough explanations I've heard on the subject. It usually becomes more convaluted than that.

+1
Old 03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
so if you are saved and don't practice Communion, is that a sin?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
EDIT: wow, I'm totally an idiot & thought you said "aren't saved and do practice". Disregard this post.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Well, we can't partake of it if we are harboring sin in our lives or harboring resentment towards another believer (which would also be a sin). So, someone who declines taking Communion is probably aware of an unresolved issue in their life that they need to take care of. However, to take of Communion fully aware of unconfessed sin in our lives would definitely be sinful. This is why most denominations give everyone a chance to "get right with GOD" before they take Communion and they are free to take the Communion whenever they are ready, or to not take it at all.

For a long time, I didn't take Communion at the Presbyterian Church that i attend now, because the bread wasn't unleavened. Unleavened bread simply doesn't have yeast in it. Yeast was always a representation of sin and impurity in the Old Testament. So to have leavening inside bread that is supposed to represent Christ's sinless, pure body was a big problem for me. I honestly don't know what changed in me to make me feel comfortable taking leavened bread for Communion. I think I was worried about creating a stumbling block (or an excuse to gossip) for other church members.

So there are reasons for a believer to NOT take Communion at a particular church. If our church started ordaining gay deacons, elders or pastors, then I would never take Communion from that church again (in fact, I would withdraw my membership and immediately look for a new church to attend).
Old 03-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Where is Infant baptism in the Bible?

Ask Mary to pray for you? Catholics think they can communicate with the dead?

If Catholics dont have altar calls. Do you believe that the infant baptism or communion saves you?
The New Testament talks of whole households being baptised on the basis of a single conversion by the leading Male. Its the Alpha Male who decides...the rest have little choice in that culture...secondly, I already explained about Jewish infant dedication services.

Firstly, any human can communicate with the dead. King Saul even went as far as communicating with Samuel if I recall. It Can be done...but the practise is forbidden. However...for Roman Catholics, this communication is not with the dead. They believe that all Christians, past, present, and future are all ONE Church. There isnt a heavenly Church of Saints, and an Earthly Church...the two are synonomous. They call this "The Communion of Saints" which is Christ, who links EVERY believer, whether they have died or not.

So they are not talking to the dead, anymore then when they talk to Christ, they consider him dead. They consider the spiritual world as being but a veil away from this one.

They believe this also because Christ told Saint Peter, he had the power to unleash, and lock up, things in BOTH REALMS...he cant unleash anything in the heavenly realm, without communication with the heavenly realm, so logically if Peter can do it...Apostolic Succession holds that any future Bishop of Rome can do it (I dissagree personally with that, because I think they read to much of an implication that Christ is awarding said power to Office...I think he awards it only to a specific person, in that office...Roman Catholics would strongly dissagree)

to your final question...the answer is no...and the answer should also be No for any Roman Catholic...they feel that conversion is a private matter...its not confined to a ceremony where those who are heathen are asked to step forward and submit.