Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

As for the Festival of Easter...The Church DELIBERATLEY put the celebration at the same time. They were trying to be CONSIDERATE of a new group of people who had recently converted and wanted to celebrate at that time of the year. They gave them a CHRISTIAN REASON to do it, in order to DETRACT from the original clebration...rather then having Easter sometime else...and all those struggling converts being tempted to celebrate at a point they are used to. Bizzarely enough...it was a strategy to avoid temptation...thats a theme of Lent...which you'd understand if you bothered to research it.
Do you approve of this strategy?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
On the whole, not really.

Its alright whilst the Church has the power to back up the new festivals...but its like painting over a crack...if its not RE-Painted every so often, the paint flakes.

What you now have is like a heathen wall full of cracks, that the Romans, with the best of intentions painted over...believing they had the strength to repaint.

They last Repainted in the 1500s.....

Without their power to enforce the new festivals, the heathens basically just relapse...the paint flakes off...and the cracks re appear. The Whole Fall of both Rome (in terms of The Church in the 1500s) and Rome (in terms of a political empire) hinges on the fact that the central governance is so small, versus the spread of its dominance...that its basically spread to thinly and cant control the entireity of itself.

But...they werent to know that at the time were they?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
As Christians we should use every day to honor and reflect upon GOD. Lent is unnecessary. Plus, it's links with Easter (which is a festival in honor of the Saxon "Great Mother Goddess" Eostre, not Jesus Christ) and the vernal equinox bring it more in line with pagan traditions.
Quote:

As for the Festival of Easter...The Church DELIBERATLEY put the celebration at the same time.
Quote:
Quote:
On the whole, not really.
So do you celebrate Easter then?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Secondly, Infant Baptism is indeed supported in the Scriptures...for its a dedication to the Lord as a Child when the Children cant actually decide for themselves...and you only need to ask what Jesus Christs Parents were doing Forty Days after his Birth to see that the Jewish did have an infant dedication service.

The Roman Catholics dont exactly pray to Mary or the Saints...they ask Mary and the Saints to pray with and for them. If I asked you to pray for me, then I wouldnt be praying TO you would I...I'd simply be asking for your help. Thats what they do. The Roman Catechism states tht Worship of Mary is Abhorant.

Roman Catholic Services dont have Altar Calls Mark
Where is Infant baptism in the Bible?

Ask Mary to pray for you? Catholics think they can communicate with the dead?

If Catholics dont have altar calls. Do you believe that the infant baptism or communion saves you?
Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Where is Infant baptism in the Bible?

Ask Mary to pray for you? Catholics think they can communicate with the dead?

If Catholics dont have altar calls. Do you believe that the infant baptism or communion saves you?
I'd like to break in real quick & make a very clear distinction: the Catholic view of infant baptism is completely different than that of the Presbyterians,
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
...and the New Testament ...The Gospels? The Pauline Texts? Revelation?

Your just as missleading! The Jewish Scriptures were Cannonized but the Christian Scriptures AND Christian adoption of the Jewish Scriptures, IN THEIR TOTALITY (including what the Jewish then rejected in their reformational view on their own scriptures) was pulled together by The Roman Catholic Church.

No
False. The majority of the Old AND New Testament was canonized by the Christian Church in 206 AD (with the exception of the books of Esther and Revelation). The Catholic Church didn't exist until 325 AD.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Secondly, Infant Baptism is indeed supported in the Scriptures...for its a dedication to the Lord as a Child when the Children cant actually decide for themselves...and you only need to ask what Jesus Christs Parents were doing Forty Days after his Birth to see that the Jewish did have an infant dedication service.
Are you referring to this?

Luke 2:21-24
Quote:
On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise the child, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he was conceived.

When the time came for the purification rites (1) required by the Law of Moses, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the Law of the Lord, “Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord”) (2), and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the Law of the Lord: “a pair of doves or two young pigeons.” (3)
1. The purification rites applied to Mary only according to Leviticus 12:2-4
Quote:
“Say to the Israelites: ‘A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over.
(On a side note, if the child is a girl, then the mother is unclean for 14 days and must wait 66 more days until her purification - a total of 80 days.)

2. "Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord."
Exodus 13:2, 12, 15
Quote:
“Consecrate to me every firstborn male. The first offspring of every womb among the Israelites belongs to me, whether human or animal.”

You are to give over to the LORD the first offspring of every womb. All the firstborn males of your livestock belong to the LORD.

When Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go, the LORD killed the firstborn of both people and animals in Egypt. This is why I sacrifice to the LORD the first male offspring of every womb and redeem each of my firstborn sons.’
This consecration only applies to the firstborn male offspring, but the command includes livestock as well as children. So should ranchers also baptize their cattle, or should Mark be baptizing his firstborn goats as they are born?

To use this as a justification for infant baptism is a deliberate perversion of Scripture.

3. "A pair of doves or two young pidgeons."
Leviticus 12:6-8
Quote:
“‘When the days of her purification for a son or daughter are over, she is to bring to the priest at the entrance to the tent of meeting a year-old lamb for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a dove for a sin offering. He shall offer them before the LORD to make atonement for her, and then she will be ceremonially clean from her flow of blood.

“‘These are the regulations for the woman who gives birth to a boy or a girl. But if she cannot afford a lamb, she is to bring two doves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and the other for a sin offering. In this way the priest will make atonement for her, and she will be clean.’”
Again, this is a reference to a sacrifice made on Mary's behalf, not Jesus'. Jesus wouldn't need a priest to make atonement for Him.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
So do you celebrate Easter then?
I celebrate The Feast of The Ressurection...but I celebrate it at the same time as the Jews celebrate the passover, and the Pagens celebrate Oestre. Easter...the word is fabricated, just like Halloween.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
This consecration only applies to the firstborn male offspring, but the command includes livestock as well as children. So should ranchers also baptize their cattle, or should Mark be baptizing his firstborn goats as they are born?
Well I dedicate all my Birds, by asking for a blessing. Yes I realize that its a purification law...but Christs was clearly a dedication also, because of him being noticed for who he was by Simeon and Anna
Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
False. The majority of the Old AND New Testament was canonized by the Christian Church in 206 AD (with the exception of the books of Esther and Revelation). The Catholic Church didn't exist until 325 AD.
Some...Not All....You get the point im making...even if you try hard to avoid it. You know very well, that until the Roman Councils there was very little formal unification on the New Testament.

The "Christian Church" didnt exist until the Roman Change in State Religion...the Early Church didnt call itself Christian...it Called its self "The Way" and it looked on itself as being an extention of Judaism, hence why they used the Jewish Scripture...they considered themselves Messianic Jews.