Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

FYI, I'm picking & choosing what I'm responding to simply because I'm too lazy to read it all & come up with smart retorts for everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
I think SOME teachers complain about being underpaid, not all of them. You are making a sweeping generalization there.
Yes & no. What I'm reacting to is the the Union's position which is, by definition, the position of the teachers. I fully aware that there are teachers that disagree with it, but unfortunately, their dues are going into the pockets of people screaming for more money.

Quote:
And while it’s true that the country is in trouble, it seems that a lot of people who got us into the trouble aren’t going to be the ones who are making the sacrifices to get us “out” of the trouble. . . When they ask me to put in more hours without more pay AND pay more for my benefits AND take away some benefits completely……….well it just makes me wonder if the administration is making the same sacrifices.
I agree 100%. It makes no sense that the ones that are responsible for the mess aren't being punished.

Quote:
Are the legislators making sacrifices too? It seems to me that politicians are busy making the middle class feud with each other so that it takes the attention off of them.
There are actually some state legislators, believe it or not, that are sponsoring bills to reduce the size of their Senates/Congresses/etc. in order to take the hit, too. I can't remember which states. but I do remember being impressed that they were finally shouldering some of the the hit.

Quote:
I think teachers are being made the villains in all this because they are an easy, convenient target and because the NEA endorsed Democratic candidates. I wonder if this would be happening at all if the Republicans had gotten the endorsements.
Here's a stat for you: Union members split nearly50/50 in the last election (I think it was something like 48% D/46.5% R), and yet 93% of union campaign contributions went to Democrats. I think it's pretty obvious that the unions are not properly representing their constituents.

I agree with Mike, the unions need to be reduced & restructured, but not removed.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
O, that's really clever what you did there: since I'm from America & I disagree with you, I'm clearly a dumbass. Man, so I'm glad you came trolling into this thread with no other intent than to insult & stir up ••••. How could us poor ignorant fools in the world's greatest nation ever manage to get anything done without your bull••••, passive-aggressive, "I can't logically support my opinions so instead I'll just commit juvenile ad hominem attacks on my opponent's intelligence & character in the vague hope that I can distract people from the topic at hand & feel worthwhile because I made fun of someone on the internet" one liners?

For crying out loud, man, even COUNTYMIKE managed to contribute something worthwhile in this thread!

What did you actually bring into this, other than a yes before Logus' reply? I don't think taking a step back is good.

What is your actual experience in the work force VCU? I've worked both union and non-union jobs.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
What did you actually bring into this, other than a yes before Logus' reply? I don't think taking a step back is good.

What is your actual experience in the work force VCU? I've worked both union and non-union jobs.
I only made such a comment because for some odd reason he seemed very pleased with what has happened to the Unions, regardless of who it may effect now, or a year down the line..
Old 03-11-2011, 12:27 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Although I want to research it more I believe they can still collective bargain for their base wage but not their benefits! It also somehow ties their raise in with the rate of inflation! I also can tell you that not ALL Education professionals are that smart or caring! The NEA has such a stranglehold on Education that it needs changed.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:41 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
Although I want to research it more I believe they can still collective bargain for their base wage but not their benefits! It also somehow ties their raise in with the rate of inflation! I also can tell you that not ALL Education professionals are that smart or caring! The NEA has such a stranglehold on Education that it needs changed.
I agree, but sadly you can find that to be true in ALL areas of employment.........
Old 03-11-2011, 12:52 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
I agree, but sadly you can find that to be true in ALL areas of employment.........
Unfortunately I have to agree with that! I also believe that the good educators and education in general suffer cause the Unions protect the bad ones. I imagine you know one or two that your ashamed to be associated with!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:51 AM
DonnaMaria

[QUOTE=KENTUCKYREDBONE;157174]Unfortunately I have to agree with that! I also believe that the good educators and education in general suffer cause the Unions protect the bad ones. I imagine you know one or two that your ashamed to be associated with![/QUOTE]

Maybe one or two...........lol

Actually, if administrators did their jobs there wouldn't be bad teachers in schools. Tenure makes it difficult to fire a teacher but not impossible. There are evaluations that need to be done and such but it IS possible to fire a teacher who is not functioning properly or properly educating the children.

Again, I think unions need to be regulated and revamped but I still believe they are needed.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
My favorite part is how the protesters called them "cowards" while supporting the people who ran away to another state in order to avoid conflict.
Agreed, I made that same point on one of the many Wisconsin threads:
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/sh...569#post154569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Define hypocrisy - the elected officials who ran away from their duties referring to those who stayed and performed their duties as "cowards."