Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default BLOG: Penn vs. Fitch

From Matt's blog:

Quote:
BJ's fight is drawing a lot of controversy on my Forums. I only watched the fight once, during the PPV on Saturday night, so I haven't rewatched any clips at all. This is my opinion based on what I remember. BJ started to execute the gameplan well as he went out and took Fitch down. He did a little work on top and then got Fitch's back. Fitch then reversed and BJ stood up. I think everybody scored the first round 10-9 for Penn. The second round started well for BJ, as BJ threw some punches and ended up taking Fitch down again. BJ then gets Fitch's back again and goes for a rear naked choke. Fitch is able to reverse and lays on BJ for about a minute and a half, as I remember. At the end of the round, BJ then gets on his feet. In my opinion, BJ did most of the damage in that round, as blood was coming out of Fitch's nose and BJ was doing some good striking while Fitch was pushing him up against the fence. So, the second round I would have scored to BJ because he was in dominant position longer, went for a submission, had dominant striking in that round, and my number one criteria for judging a round is damage. With Fitch bleeding out of the nose, I believe BJ did the most damage in round 2. Even though, Fitch's minute and a half of being on top was at the end of the round, I don't give him the round. But I think a lot of people will because the last thing they see tends to be what they'll score. Between the second and third round, I was listening to Fitch's corner and they were desperate for Fitch to end the fight in the third round. When I heard that, I really thought BJ had won the first two rounds and, of course, the third round is nothing but Fitch. He gets a takedown early and lays on BJ the rest of the fight. I do think BJ did a good job avoiding strikes and it was a little disappointing seeing Fitch not do anything to try to end the fight. That round to me was a 10-9 round for Fitch. A lot of people don't understand the judging criteria, in boxing you can give a 10-8 round pretty easily because there are a lot more rounds. In fighting you just can't do that. With 3 rounds to judge, a 10-8 has to be a pretty dominant round. With Fitch doing nothing to end the fight, that was not a 10-8 round, in my opinion. I even had one person comment on my forum that it could have been a 10-7 round... ??? So, at the end of the fight, I had BJ winning 29-28; but I can see how the judges called it a draw. BJ and I have thrown a couple of texts back and forth since the fight and he seems to be in good spirits, even though he was down on himself after the fight.

Moving on, I think this week's Trophy Hunters TV is probably the best episode so far. When I watch hunting shows, one thing I always like to know is what gear they are using. When I'm hunting on an episode, I'll be sure to tell you what gear I'm using for that hunt. For this week's show, I was using a Barnett crossbow and a Browning .270 X-Bolt and I had a total of 4 kills on the episode.

Here are the air times for this week's episode of Trophy Hunters TV that I'm hosting, on the Outdoor Channel:

Quote:
Air Dates & Times for 2011
Dec. 27, 2010 through March 27, 2011
Tuesdays, 6:00 PM EST / 5:00 PM CST
Wednesdays, 8:00 am EST / 7:00 am CST
Saturdays, 8:00 pm EST / 7:00 pm CST
The show description for this week:

Quote:
Show #10 “Matt Hughes Gets Rattled”
(Airs the week of February 28, 2011)
Whitetail, Nilgai and Rattlers are all in danger as UFC legend Matt Hughes hunts south Texas to escape the cold Illinois weather.
Here is the Bible verse for this week:

Quote:
Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 5:1-2)
-matt
Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Good blog! I love it when he talks about the forums. 'Course I'm biased. lol
Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Chuck

Excellent!

I like seeing that you and BJ are continuing your friendship. I hope it's the beginning of more things to come from you two!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 PM

I really appreciate the analysis, I was confused by the scoring.

Also, this week's bible verse is beautiful. Thanks, Matt.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

i agree with your fight analyse. penn won the first squeaked out number two and three was 10-9 finch.
the thing is finch was in an dominant position for most of the 3rd but inflicted no damage. its like he was trying to hold penn down till the cops showed up
penn was the aggressor for most of the fight, he inflicted the most damage and he was able to withstand finchs attacks without damage. sounds like he won to me.

wish i could catch the show, it doesn't air on the cable package i have. maybe at some point they will air full broadcast on their website or offer them on-demand.
ive watched the previews, the shows look good and your doing a great job. the one where you guys took the inner city kids hunting looked like a good one.

this may be a good subject for a show. its a awesome hunt for a good cause, two things i know you like to be a part of.
http://www.huntingforacure.net/home.php
Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
and he was able to withstand finchs attacks without damage
Don't get mad, Tenn, but this is the first thing that came to mind

Old 02-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Rev

lol, nice
Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

I know its childish, but its fun
Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN View Post
I know its childish, but its fun
Yeah, I'm a kid at heart.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Good blog, Matt I agree with everything!
Do you think you'd train with BJ again or perhaps for your next fight?

[