Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I would also like to point out that the School is not private property so he should be able to have reasonable freedom of expression on his own personal vehicle.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:05 PM
County Mike

I think the idea of the confederate flag representing racism is total BS anyway. Southern Pride does not mean you're a racist. That connection was falsely made a long time ago and for some reason it hasn't let go.

As for this guy, he was probably looking for an excuse to get rid of that job.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
It ain't treason! It should be freedom of speech. I can understand them not having it on a school bus but not his own personal vehicle. Its another example of heavy handed government burocusy interfering with free speech. Think of it as an American flag Southern style!
Absolutely right, it's not treason.

I see this is in Oregon; it is an ultra-liberal state, even slightly more so than here in Washington. I was talking to a friend of mine from Arkansas a couple years ago about the confederate flag. It means different things to different people - here, many see it as a racist symbol. In the South, it is largely revered.

It wasn't originally designed as a negative symbol - far from it! - but the KKK, like the Nazis before them with the swastika, have hijacked the confederate flag and sullied its intent. Not to get too wordy but it is a fascinating subject:

Quote:
What is now often called "The Confederate Flag" or "The Confederate Battle Flag" (actually a combination of the battle flag's colors with the Second Navy Jack's design), despite its never having historically represented the CSA as a nation, has become a widely recognized symbol of the South. It is also called the "rebel", "Southern Cross, or "Dixie" flag, and is often incorrectly referred to as the "Stars and Bars" (the actual "Stars and Bars" is the First National Flag, which used an entirely different design).

During the first half of the 20th century the Confederate flag enjoyed renewed popularity. During World War II some U.S. military units with Southern nicknames, or made up largely of Southerners, made the flag their unofficial emblem. The USS Columbia (CL-56) flew a Confederate Navy Ensign as a battle flag throughout combat in the South Pacific in World War II. This was done in honor of the ship's namesake, the capital city of South Carolina, the first state to secede from the Union. Some soldiers carried Confederate flags into battle. After the Battle of Okinawa a Confederate flag was raised over Shuri Castle by a Marine from the self-styled "Rebel Company" (Company A of the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines). It was visible for miles and was taken down after three days on the orders of General Simon B. Buckner, Jr. (son of Confederate General Simon Buckner), who stated that it was inappropriate as "Americans from all over are involved in this battle". It was replaced with the flag of the United States.

The use of the flag by soldiers came under investigation after some African-American soldiers filed complaints.[citation needed]. By the end of World War II, the use of the Confederate flag in the military was rare. However, the Confederate flag continues to be flown in an unofficial manner by many soldiers. It was seen many times in Korea, Vietnam, and in the Middle East.

Controversy
Displaying the flag
The display of the Confederate flag remains a highly controversial and emotional topic, generally because of disagreement over the nature of its symbolism.

Opponents of the Confederate flag (especially African Americans) see it as an overt symbol of racism, both for the history of racial slavery in the United States, and the establishment of Jim Crow laws by Southern states following the end of Reconstruction in late 1870s, enforcing racial segregation within state borders for nearly a century until the Civil Rights Movement. Some hate groups use the Southern Cross as one of the symbols associated with their organizations, including racist groups such as the Neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan. The flag is also sometimes used by separatist organizations such as the Aryan Nations. It is important to note, however, that the official flag of the Ku Klux Klan, as stated by this organization itself, is the flag of the United States of America, not the CSA battle flag. The Aryan Nation also uses the U.S. flag as well as the Christian flag displayed in some Protestant churches.

Supporters of the flag view it as a symbol of heritage and the freedom of the distinct cultural tradition of the South from the oppression of Northern government. Also, in light of some schools and universities banning it as a racist symbol in their "speech codes", it could also be seen as a symbol of freedom of speech.

White southerners often see the flag as merely a symbol of southern culture without any political or racial connotation. An example of this would be the Bocephus Rebel Flag often sold at concerts performed by country music star Hank Williams, Jr or Kevin Fowler, heavy metal band Pantera, and southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. For some, the flag represents only a past era of southern sovereignty. Some historical societies such as the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the United Daughters of the Confederacy also use the flag as part of their symbols. Also some rockabilly fans hold the Confederate flag as their emblem.
From this link on History of Confederate Flags.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
i admire him for taking a stand but with 4 young children at home and probably having to sell stuff off just to pay the rent...
maybe he should take a stand when he is in a better financial position to do so.
Good point, Brad.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
boy.. am prolly gonna draw heat for this one....

I understand the guys point.. but you have to also understand the schools...

would it be too hard to take it down while at school??

I COMPLETELY agree with his point...

But when you are "flying the colors" on state/county property... and you are an employee.... many take that as "support".... It's the problem with a lawsuit happy age...

Dave.. there is no treason here...
In many Court case the judges rule that a personal car is not the property of the land owner. Meaning you do not give up you rrights just because you drive onto a lot owned by another. for this to be leagal. Than they would have to do an outright ban on all bumper stickers or else it is discrimination. SO unless the school distirct is ready to do that this man can sue and would win. He might loose in appeals because Orgean 6th court is extremely liberal but he would win at the SCOTUS level because they have ruled in favor on issues like this many times
Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I think the idea of the confederate flag representing racism is total BS anyway. Southern Pride does not mean you're a racist. That connection was falsely made a long time ago and for some reason it hasn't let go.

Hollywood Mike. DYK the highest membership rates for the KKK is not even in the SOuth? Also the North made laws banning the blacks form living there till almost 1940's. The north won the war rewrote history to hide their own extrme racism.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Absolutely right, it's not treason.

I see this is in Oregon; it is an ultra-liberal state, even slightly more so than here in Washington. I was talking to a friend of mine from Arkansas a couple years ago about the confederate flag. It means different things to different people - here, many see it as a racist symbol. In the South, it is largely revered.

It wasn't originally designed as a negative symbol - far from it! - but the KKK, like the Nazis before them with the swastika, have hijacked the confederate flag and sullied its intent. Not to get too wordy but it is a fascinating subject:

From this link on History of Confederate Flags.
There is a great history behind why the chose the flag they did. You link is one of many out there trying to end the NAACP's smear campagin
Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
I would also like to point out that the School is not private property so he should be able to have reasonable freedom of expression on his own personal vehicle.
Good point, it is paid by the taxpayers, including himself.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:

A state/county run school IS private property....

If a vehicle is on school property it is subject to searches as well. At least in North Carolina.

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 03-06-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
well said!!

Quote:
yeah.. would you want a job driving kids??? I love teaching karate to them.. but having kids sit still on a bus.. [shudder]