Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Chris Lytle considers Retirement

Bisping could learn a little from this chap. Who said nothing about his surgery, and despite his loss should a lot of heart indeed.

Because he's a pro's pro, Chris Lytle wouldn't admit it, but he was far from fighting at full strength in his UFC 127 loss to Brian Ebersole. In fact, just four weeks before his fight, he had the injured meniscus in his right knee removed, MMA Fighting has learned.

Lytle chose to keep the procedure quiet to deflect attention and avoid devaluing Ebersole's win. But after MMA Fighting learned of the injury from two separate sources, Lytle's manager Ken Pavia finally confirmed the surgery, which he said began as an exploratory procedure before the doctor removed the meniscus due to the damage.

Lytle chose to fight, and the ensuing unanimous decision loss to Ebersole marked the end of a four-fight win streak. It could also possibly bring a close to his career.

"He's considering his options, and retirement is one of them," said Pavia, who added that Lytle is likely to take some time before making any decision.

Should he call it quits, the 36-year-old Lytle (30-18-5) retires with a reputation as a crowd-pleaser who tied for the UFC record for most nightly bonuses, eight, a record he shares with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

With 19 fights on his UFC record, he is sixth all time for most bouts in the promotion. Though he started his UFC career with losses in six of his first eight fights, he went 7-4 over his final 11 bouts, including a win over former UFC champion Matt Serra.

True to his reputation, Lytle captured another $75,000 Fight of the Night Award for his scrap with Ebersole. Pavia said that while Lytle was unable to run in the weeks leading up to the fight, he never thought about withdrawing.

"He'll never use that stuff as an excuse, and the reason he tried to keep this quiet is because he wants to make sure that Ebersole gets all the credit in the world for his win, and for livening up the fight," he said.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

You know.. I was reading this.. thinking.. damn.. I hope not.. but it was fun watching him...

and then I hit ...
Quote:
including a win over former UFC champion Matt Serra.

and I actually shuddered... That was a very dark 353 days in the UFC history...
Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM

The definition of class. I'm not surprised.

Well, it's his decision but I too hope he doesn't retire. I think he's a great guy and very enjoyable fighter to watch. Heart as big as a house.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 PM

He's the pinnacle of sportsmanship! The two times I didn't root for him were when he fought Matt and Foster. He's a class act and if he needs to retire for his own health then I wish him the best. I'm sure the UFC will take care of him.

[
Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 PM

I feel for chris - he was on a tear. Hope to see him back. Must be gutting to have lost knowing your not full strength.

Didn't think Bisping needed knocking from you Dave?!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
I feel for chris - he was on a tear. Hope to see him back. Must be gutting to have lost knowing your not full strength.

Didn't think Bisping needed knocking from you Dave?!
uh oh, thats how it starts!!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
He's the pinnacle of sportsmanship! The two times I didn't root for him were when he fought Matt and Foster. He's a class act and if he needs to retire for his own health then I wish him the best. I'm sure the UFC will take care of him.
probably not as much as you'd think .. but why would they ...
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
uh oh, thats how it starts!!
Brit on Brit!! lol..
Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
probably not as much as you'd think .. but why would they ...
They have though - when Lytle lost a few they have always kept him on. The main reason being he comes to the party ready to bang.

I think the'll continue to be good to him.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
They have though - when Lytle lost a few they have always kept him on. The main reason being he comes to the party ready to bang.I think the'll continue to be good to him.
Dude, you are way to cool to be a Brit. Are you sure you aint a transport from the southern states of America somwhere?

How can you be that cool and be a Bisping fan?!?!
It aint right. Cant be healthy. I bet you have constant headaches.
Look brother, take you some advil, quit rooting for that moron, go pick yourself up a hunting rifle and a pickup truck, and leave the dark side.