Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post

Rev could be PTM's Hunting Czar.
I'm down
Old 03-04-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
so can anyone get a gun? criminals etc? i am just wondering ...
Felons, Mentally ill people and subjects of a restraining order are not allowed to own a gun. In reality, however, they buy them on the streets from thieves who stole them. So, for example, in Chicago, until recently, there was gun control on all the law-abiding citizens; yet, there were record numbers of gun deaths because teen gang members were all armed to the teeth with stolen guns. Criminals run rampant while the law-abiding stay home at night, avoid certain neighborhood, and pray that the police respond rapidly to a 911 call.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 AM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Felons, Mentally ill people and subjects of a restraining order are not allowed to own a gun. In reality, however, they buy them on the streets from thieves who stole them. So, for example, in Chicago, until recently, there was gun control on all the law-abiding citizens; yet, there were record numbers of gun deaths because teen gang members were all armed to the teeth with stolen guns. Criminals run rampant while the law-abiding stay home at night, avoid certain neighborhood, and pray that the police respond rapidly to a 911 call.
so you would have to show some sort of ID and screening process .. nate is suggesting there should be no registry, but if they are screening people, they are going to know who owns a gun or at least applied for a gun
Old 03-04-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
so you would have to show some sort of ID and screening process .. nate is suggesting there should be no registry, but if they are screening people, they are going to know who owns a gun or at least applied for a gun
It varies from state to state. For example, I am currently registering a new handgun. My registration involves: a 2-week waiting period, 3 trips to the police station, 3 trips to the gun store, an FBI background check, being fingerprinted like a criminal, a fee, signing a release to my physician to release all my medical records and signing a release to the state mental hospital (to perform a records check on my social security number to see if I was ever admitted there). Incidentally, my wife has received obscene phone calls and a letter. They will not streamline the process for me - it will take about 3 weeks time. If I were a thug, I could buy a gun on the street in about 5 minutes.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It varies from state to state. For example, I am currently registering a new handgun. My registration involves: a 2-week waiting period, 3 trips to the police station, 3 trips to the gun store, an FBI background check, being fingerprinted like a criminal, a fee, signing a release to my physician to release all my medical records and signing a release to the state mental hospital (to perform a records check on my social security number to see if I was ever admitted there). Incidentally, my wife has received obscene phone calls and a letter. They will not streamline the process for me - it will take about 3 weeks time. If I were a thug, I could buy a gun on the street in about 5 minutes.
In New Mexico, you went to a gun store, they took down your Social Security number, made a phone call and, if you had no criminal record, you could pay for your gun and take it home with you that day. The entire process could take as little as 5 minutes. In Illinois, you have to have a FOID (Firearms Owners IDentification) Card (which takes a couple of weeks to arrive through the mail) and go through a 3-day waiting period. There are a few other hoops you have to jump through, but I don't remember them all. So, yeah, it can vary quite a bit from state to state.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
so can anyone get a gun? criminals etc? i am just wondering ...
You're kind of taking it from one extreme to the other. All I'm saying is that people who legally purchase firearms do not need to be monitored or placed on a registry like they were criminals.

Again, this is nothing more than an attempted witchhunt by the anti-gun nuts.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:37 AM
Chuck

Quote:
If I were a thug, I could buy a gun on the street in about 5 minutes.
Why don't you consider a private sale? I've purchased and sold multiple weapons via private parties with no issues. You avoid all of the red tape bull crap and keep your name off of ridiculous government lists...

It's not just thugs who choose to purchase weapons via a non B&M route.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Why don't you consider a private sale? I've purchased and sold multiple weapons via private parties with no issues. You avoid all of the red tape bull crap and keep your name off of ridiculous government lists...

It's not just thugs who choose to purchase weapons via a non B&M route.
This current gun was free (except the taxes). I won it. No thug needed. I don't know the procedure for person-to-person sales. I suspect that most of the paperwork would still apply. You are fortunate to live where you live.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

In NC I can sell my guns to a private person.. not problem at all...

But the last pistol I bought at a store.. took me almost a month to do it "buy the book"..

I also bought a shotgun at a sporting goods store in two minutes.. just showed my license to show that I was over 21...

"kinda funny that"...
Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I'm hoping to pick up a used revolver or Shotgun for around a hundred dollars or so! I've been planning on checking out some pawn shop's but ain't had time! I gotta watch the spending so I can take the boys to a Judo tournament in Tennessee. Its gonna be in Spring Hill TN the 12th of this month. Wonder if guns are any cheaper their than KY? That and what are the laws in Tennessee? In Kentucky its proof of ID and pass a background check! Not completely sure but I don't think that applies to person to person sales. I think that you can get in trouble though if you know your selling it to a felon!