Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Assistant Public Access Counselor Matthew Rogina, citing federal court decisions as well as Illinois law, wrote in a letter to the state police attorney that disclosing the names "cannot be characterized as highly personal or objectionable." He wrote that there is a "public interest" in releasing the information, citing the example of an individual who may have become ineligible to carry.

"Therefore, even if disclosure of the names and expiration of the (Firearm Owner's Identification Card) card owners did constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy, this fact is outweighed by the public interest that exists in ensuring the integrity of the (police) database," he wrote.
By their logic, they need to release the records of all the people in Illinois with a positive HIV test. After all, these people may not be forthcoming to a sex partner about their status. Somehow, I doubt this will happen. Somehow, I suspect personal privacy trumps public interest in cases of a liberal interest group.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
By their logic, they need to release the records of all the people in Illinois with a positive HIV test. After all, these people may not be forthcoming to a sex partner about their status. Somehow, I doubt this will happen. Somehow, I suspect personal privacy trumps public interest in cases of a liberal interest group.

Dude, I would vote for you for anything you run for. Lets take the white house!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
so if crime involving knives all of a sudden went through the roof would they publish a list of everyone buying knives? having a registry is important, but making it private is an invasion of privacy ...
What jump in firearm deaths are you talking about exactly? According to the CDC, there were 1032 gun deaths in Illinois in 2007, compared to 1036 in 2006. That's a 0.39% decrease in gun related deaths. So exactly where are instances of gun crimes going "through the roof" that justifies this new law?

You're speaking as if just the mere act of owning a gun makes a person a potential threat. People have been a danger to each other long before guns were invented. Legal gun ownership is not the problem.

In fact, there shouldn't even be a registry of gun owners, public or private. If I own a gun, it's my private property, the government and law enforcement have no business keeping track of my private property. Motor vehicles account more deaths and injuries in the US each year compared to guns (43,443 motor vehicle related deaths nationwide, compared to 30,694 gun related deaths, in 2005), so do we publish a public registry of automobile ownership in order to paint car and truck owners as potential threats? This kind of thing is nothing more than an anti-gun witchhunt.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Further evidence of how the corrupt Chicago/Crook County politicians control the entire state of Illinois.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Dude, I would vote for you for anything you run for. Lets take the white house!!

Rev could be PTM's Hunting Czar.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Further evidence of how the corrupt Chicago/Crook County politicians control the entire state of Illinois.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I think they just want the list so they can go on a political; witch hunt! They will harass, nitpick and slander Folks on the list. They may even hunt for people that work for anti gun nut jobs and try to get them fired!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
What jump in firearm deaths are you talking about exactly? According to the CDC, there were 1032 gun deaths in Illinois in 2007, compared to 1036 in 2006. That's a 0.39% decrease in gun related deaths. So exactly where are instances of gun crimes going "through the roof" that justifies this new law?

You're speaking as if just the mere act of owning a gun makes a person a potential threat. People have been a danger to each other long before guns were invented. Legal gun ownership is not the problem.

In fact, there shouldn't even be a registry of gun owners, public or private. If I own a gun, it's my private property, the government and law enforcement have no business keeping track of my private property. Motor vehicles account more deaths and injuries in the US each year compared to guns (43,443 motor vehicle related deaths nationwide, compared to 30,694 gun related deaths, in 2005), so do we publish a public registry of automobile ownership in order to paint car and truck owners as potential threats? This kind of thing is nothing more than an anti-gun witchhunt.
i wasn't saying it should be made public, but i guess i didn't fix the typo .... i meant to say that there should be a registry, but kept private ...
Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i wasn't saying it should be made public, but i guess i didn't fix the typo .... i meant to say that there should be a registry, but kept private ...
No, there should not be a registry. Nothing about legal gun ownership makes a person more or less likely to commit a crime.

55% of all gun related deaths in this country are from suicides, so does that also mean that people who own guns suddenly become suicidal? Of course not, that would be idiotic to suggest that. So, there is no reason to keep track of gun owners through a registry regardless of whether it is public or private.

Basically what I'm saying is that Illinois politicians and law enforcement officers have absolutely no business knowing if I own a gun or not.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 AM
rearnakedchoke

so can anyone get a gun? criminals etc? i am just wondering ...