Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
He has bills to pay just like everybody else.
I doubt it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
My first thoughts exactly.
Maybe he's trying to set an example and have other people do as he does in regards to donating to charities. I am sure he donates to many more things aside from that and also when celebrities do matching to causes it does really well.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,716
Default

Just my 2 cents.

I think it's incredibly hypocritical for a millionaire many times over to ask us "little people" to contribute to their pet charities. Many of us give to charities when we are able, or tithe on a regular basis.

It's probably not the best time to ask the average Joe for a donation when so many are struggling to scrape up rent/mortgage payments or out of work all together.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Just my 2 cents.

I think it's incredibly hypocritical for a millionaire many times over to ask us "little people" to contribute to their pet charities. Many of us give to charities when we are able, or tithe on a regular basis.

It's probably not the best time to ask the average Joe for a donation when so many are struggling to scrape up rent/mortgage payments or out of work all together.
Word.. Donate this way!! lol..But he's only a kid.. I see what you mean though.. Most of those donations are tax write-offs aren't they?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Allons-y
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,298
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Just my 2 cents.

I think it's incredibly hypocritical for a millionaire many times over to ask us "little people" to contribute to their pet charities. Many of us give to charities when we are able, or tithe on a regular basis.

It's probably not the best time to ask the average Joe for a donation when so many are struggling to scrape up rent/mortgage payments or out of work all together.
HAHAHAHAHA, FLO I LOVE YOUR NEW AVATAR!!!

I literally had to bite my knuckles to keep for bursting out laughing!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Most of those donations are tax write-offs aren't they?
Yes, you should have received your charitable contribution receipt in your e-mail.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

A writeoff doesn't mean you get it back though. At best, you can reduce your taxable income by that amount so the amount you save (or get back) is only your taxed percentage.

If I donate $1000 to a charity the actual return difference from that would be around $200 at best. I'm still down $800.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
A writeoff doesn't mean you get it back though. At best, you can reduce your taxable income by that amount so the amount you save (or get back) is only your taxed percentage.

If I donate $1000 to a charity the actual return difference from that would be around $200 at best. I'm still down $800.
Good to know.. What I meant though was he can write it off can't he.. Either way I wish I had his piggy bank..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Rev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Good to know.. What I meant though was he can write it off can't he.. Either way I wish I had his piggy bank..
At what point does it stop being called a "piggy" bank?
When it belongs to someone who has the money of most of these celbs, it should be a HOG bank or SOW bank even a BOAR bank.
Just my thoughts on this deep discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Word.. Donate this way!! lol..But he's only a kid.. I see what you mean though.. Most of those donations are tax write-offs aren't they?
I know what you're saying, Miss Foxy, and yes, they are deductible if you give to a qualified charity. So if you gave, say, $100 and you are in a 25% tax bracket, you would save $25 on your taxes from your $100 contribution.

The entire amount is never deductible, AFAIK.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.