Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Chris F

I live real close to one of their locations. I will check it out and give my OPINONS on it in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I don't understand why everybody is trashing his idea? Why do people automatically assume because it's in a Wal Mart it's a joke or going to be low quality?

I think it's a pretty smart idea. Wal Mart's are always in good locations, plenty of parking, good exposure, no worries of your Anchor tenant leaving like you would in a strip mall.

Is having a gym in a strip mall next to some knock off cellular place or a crap restaurant really that much better???
If Walmart controls it I can almost guarantee it will be poor quality! I used to work at walmart and I know from experience that they ain't what they used to be. They can't even keep in good quality cleaning equipment to keep their own store clean with!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
If Walmart controls it I can almost guarantee it will be poor quality! I used to work at walmart and I know from experience that they ain't what they used to be. They can't even keep in good quality cleaning equipment to keep their own store clean with!
Wal Mart has nothing to do with it. Wal Mart simply rents out the space. Just as they do for Subways, McDonalds, Jackson Hewitt etc etc. Go to there website it is basically a chain by some big names who will hire local help to "coach" and then they (the big names) will make occasional visits. What I like is they are a cage fitness provider and in fact one of the owners is one of the founders of cage fitness concept. So Wal Mart or not I hope I can find a way to afford the classes.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
I'm not following you.............. How does that apply?

Not arguing bro, just not quite sure what you're trying to say here.
I'm just saying that most people who go to a gym already know what they're doing whereas people who are taking martial arts are there to learn, period. I'm sure the place is fine, it just sounds really really funny. Can you imagine how funny it'd be if somebody made it into the UFC and praised Wal-Mart for their BJJ black belt?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2 View Post
Surpise they didn't call it WAL-MMArt!!
Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!!

Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I'm just saying that most people who go to a gym already know what they're doing whereas people who are taking martial arts are there to learn, period. I'm sure the place is fine, it just sounds really really funny. Can you imagine how funny it'd be if somebody made it into the UFC and praised Wal-Mart for their BJJ black belt?
It's actually pretty brilliant of the gym to go that route and rent out space there. The UFC already endorses MMA Elite clothing which is sold exclusively at Wal-Mart and most Wal-Marts are busier than any strip mall 24/7. Especially that Wal-Mart in particular, I've actually been to El Reno a number of times and that's basically all they have is that Wal-Mart and tributes to Garth Brooks.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
It's actually pretty brilliant of the gym to go that route and rent out space there. The UFC already endorses MMA Elite clothing which is sold exclusively at Wal-Mart and most Wal-Marts are busier than any strip mall 24/7. Especially that Wal-Mart in particular, I've actually been to El Reno a number of times and that's basically all they have is that Wal-Mart and tributes to Garth Brooks.
Yeah, I think it's a great idea, it just sounds really really funny.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I used to see Garth a lot where I worked. He lives in Owasso OK and he and Tirsha Yearwood would come by or go to the place next door. Garth loves Wal Mart too.

My wife worked at the Owasso one and saw his ex-wife alot.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:14 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Garth loves Wal Mart too.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:42 PM
philips4

Quote:
All Wal Mart's are not created equal, this is very true!

I personally wouldn't automatically discount them or what they're able to teach just because of the location they chose. That's all I was saying.

There's a website somewhere that has pictures of people in Wal Mart.. have you seen it? It's pretty funny!
With all the Walmart jokes out there, I mean come on it just sounds hysterical! I have seen those pictures of "real shoppers of Walmart" can you imagine the ones of "real MMA Walmart students?"