Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Paul Daley Misses Weight for Fifth Time in 11 Fights

What a classy individual!

From MMAFighting.com:

Quote:
Paul Daley missed weight on Friday for his welterweight fight on Saturday. And this is not a rerun.

Daley, the former UFC fighter who's expected to contend for the Strikeforce welterweight title this spring, has a bout scheduled on Saturday against DEEP welterweight champion Yuya Shirai in Manchester, England, with the British Association of Mixed Martial Arts welterweight title on the line. But Daley came in at 172 pounds, two pounds over the 170-pound welterweight limit, at Friday's weigh-in.

Given another chance, Daley came in at a final weight of 170.4, which is still over the limit for a welterweight title fight. As a result, the bout is now a non-title affair.

Daley's history of missing weight includes coming in at 171.75 at Shark Fights 14 in September of 2010, coming in at 172 for UFC 108 in January of 2010, coming in at 171.5 for MFC 20 in February of 2009 and coming in at 174 for MFC 19 in December of 2008. So this marks the fifth time Daley has missed weight in his last 11 fights.

Daley is always quick to offer excuses for why he missed weight, and why next time will be different, and this time the excuse is apparently something about not having access to a sauna. But the excuses are wearing thin. It's inexcusable that Daley doesn't respect his opponents or the sport enough to make weight.

Unfortunately, BAMMA isn't likely to do anything to Daley (or to Ricco Rodriguez, who also missed weight for his fight with James McSweeney) other than dock him 10 percent of his purse, which Daley clearly doesn't care about.

The biggest question now is what Strikeforce will do about Daley. If he beats Shirai he's expected to fight Diaz on April 9 in what would be a main event on a major Showtime card. But it would be a black eye for Strikeforce to have Daley miss weight in a welterweight title fight. Strikeforce may want to reconsider booking Daley for its title, until he can show that he's capable of getting down to 170 pounds.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Miss Foxy

He is pure garbage!! I can't wait til Nick kicks his *ss!!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

yep.. I can't believe I am rooting for a Diaz...
Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
yep.. I can't believe I am rooting for a Diaz...
I am taking over your mind..
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Crisco

Daley will most likely smash Nick in my opinion. Daley stayed alive against shields on the ground even mounted him.

I hate Daley but I might hate Nick more... Not sure..

Would be awesome if they knocked eachother out at the same time.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
Daley will most likely smash Nick in my opinion. Daley stayed alive against shields on the ground even mounted him.

I hate Daley but I might hate Nick more... Not sure..

Would be awesome if they knocked eachother out at the same time.
+1
Old 02-26-2011, 12:13 AM

Sheesh, what's the problem? Everybody else makes weight, go up to middle if he's this undisciplined.

I think it's disrespectful to the other fighters; if it was the first time - oh well. But he's a repeat offender, WTH?!?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:18 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

The same has been said about Thiago Alves but the UFC keeps him around.

I think if a fighter misses weight twice (not in a row, but twice) in the same weight class, they should be forced to move up in weight. It's so disrespectful to your opponent, organization, the sport, and the fans to miss weight - IT'S PART OF YOUR JOB!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:07 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

My first thought was if he can't make weight he needs to go up a weight class!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I dont think Paul Daley cares about making weight...probably not even enough to make excuses for missing it. He doesnt deserve my attention