Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
But no one can legally pay below minimum wage, unions or no unions. You do realize that a minimum wage worker in the United States is still considered one of the richest people in the world? If someone is not living outside of their means, then minimum wage is plenty.If anything, destroying the unions will cause the unemployment rate in this country to plummet. Sure the jobs will be for lower wages and less benefits, but at least people will have jobs.
Not here in California. I pay $1150 for a small place utilities not included.. In a mediocre area..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-25-2011, 04:54 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Not here in California. I pay $1150 for a small place utilities not included.. In a mediocre area..
Still better than the people living in huts or shacks around the world. That's what he meant by "minimum wage in America is richer than most of the world".
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Still better than the people living in huts or shacks around the world. That's what he meant by "minimum wage in America is richer than most of the world".
I can argue that working for a Union Local 7600 to be specific was much better than working where I work now...I work for a company that does not provide raises, we are in healthcare yet have horrible benefits, and also lays off their employees then re-hires and pay a few dollars lower.. When I was in a union none of that happened! At all.. We had our cost of living raise and annual review raise.. Our benefits were awesome..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
But no one can legally pay below minimum wage, unions or no unions. You do realize that a minimum wage worker in the United States is still considered one of the richest people in the world? If someone is not living outside of their means, then minimum wage is plenty.

If anything, destroying the unions will cause the unemployment rate in this country to plummet. Sure the jobs will be for lower wages and less benefits, but at least people will have jobs.
I'm sorry Nate 7 bucks an hour is not a living wage.


Maybe in the midwest where the cost of living is lower.

an a legion of people making 7 bucks an hour are not going to be able to push the economy.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Still better than the people living in huts or shacks around the world. That's what he meant by "minimum wage in America is richer than most of the world".
and I agree with the statement but what he hell is the point in being an American if you have no chance at the dream?


Your a corporate guy you see it just as much as I do.

I know as conservatives we like free market and all but lets not sugar coat it. Corporations are EVIL. They are all about persuit of profit and power just as much as the government.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
I'm sorry Nate 7 bucks an hour is not a living wage.


Maybe in the midwest where the cost of living is lower.

an a legion of people making 7 bucks an hour are not going to be able to push the economy.
Crisco most places where the cost of living is higher do not start at the minium wage anyhow. They would not find workers if they did. Besides that if you need more money than get a second job. A little work never killed anyone. I have to work two jobs becuase I do nto have the $$$ to live. Sure I hate it but until the economy changes I have no choice. The Market should dictate the wage nothing else.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Chris F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
and I agree with the statement but what he hell is the point in being an American if you have no chance at the dream?


Your a corporate guy you see it just as much as I do.

I know as conservatives we like free market and all but lets not sugar coat it. Corporations are EVIL. They are all about persuit of profit and power just as much as the government.
Low wgae does not equal the end of the dream. I know a guy who worked 3 jobs slept 3 hours a night till he could afford to start his business and now he is a doing very well. Hard work is the real American dream. What we sugar coat today is that you are entitled to the dream without working for it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Low wgae does not equal the end of the dream. I know a guy who worked 3 jobs slept 3 hours a night till he could afford to start his business and now he is a doing very well. Hard work is the real American dream. What we sugar coat today is that you are entitled to the dream without working for it.
Hard work? I am gonna so toot my own horn!! Raised 2 kids alone while ex was always deployed and worked full-time went to college also so I do know a few things about hard work!! However working too much doesn't work for me right now I have a full-time job and have children at home that need me when I come home so I am gonna complain in lieu of working another job to have latch key kids and end up being a mother of a teen mother or gang member..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-25-2011, 06:09 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
There is no data supporting that idea. That is a common lie the unions use to "protect" themselves but there is just no proof that is the case. Wages should be dictated by the market and the employees worth not the gov. The middle class is disappearing because it is easier to live of uncle SAM than to put in an honest days work, and thanks to the unions most decent jobs have been outsourced to make it more profitable for the elite class. All unions do anymore is act as a liberal propaganda machine. They bully their member to vote DNC and even have forced some to have DEM signs in their yard and such. The Teachers unions have destroyed our school systems by letting the feds pollute it, and now they teach to pass a test and not to educate. When I served on staff of a state senator I heard hours upon hours of testimony from both sides. The fact is unions have outlived their initial good.
I totally agree.

omg...what next...dogs and cats getting along...peace in the middle east...Frank Mir and Brock BFF?

Public employee union wages surpass private sector wages. Ditto benefits and they contribute less to those benefits and retirement packages than private sector workers. Remember Bell, California? The middle class has had it and our states are broke largely because of it.

Last edited by flo; 02-25-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-25-2011, 06:15 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,717
Default

Yes, minimum wage here is better than wages in much of the rest of the world but it's not meant to be a living wage. The minimum wage applies (for the most part, I know there are exceptions), to enty level workers. Just check the unemployment rate among teens. We had a family restaurant and paid minimum wage to the high school kids we hired. If they worked hard and did a good job, they got raises.

If we were required to pay teens a living wage, we wouldn't have stayed in business long.

Last edited by flo; 02-25-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.