Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Default Committe Restricts Doc ability to ask about guns!

Committee Decides to Restrict Doctors' Ability to Ask About Guns in Home
5:16 PM, Feb 22, 2011

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- In a clash between the National Rifle Association and medical establishment, a Senate committee decided today to restrict the ability of doctors to find out if patients have guns in their homes.

The Senate Criminal Justice Committee postponed action on another bill, which would make it legal for concealed-weapons license holders to carry their guns in plain view. Sen. Greg Evers, R-Baker, sponsored both measures but said his committee didn't have time for public testimony and debate on both, so he postponed the open-carry measure until early in the regular legislative session next month.

The physician bill (SB 432) initially would have made it a felony for doctors to ask patients if they have guns in their homes. But after meeting with representatives of medical associations, as well as the NRA, Evers agreed to a total rewrite that removes criminal penalties and provides civil fines if doctors improperly disclose information on who owns guns in their homes.

The amended bill also provides exceptions for emergencies -- when a doctor or other medical provider reasonably thinks a patient or parent might be dangerous -- or in psychiatric cases, if a person is talking of suicide or committing violent crimes.

Doctors testified at the committee hearing that they routinely ask parents about swimming pools, car seats, smoking or bicycle helmets, in order to assess the comparative danger of a child's environment. Doctors also regularly ask about conditions that might indicate domestic violence, and medical representatives told the committee they don't want to face fines of $10,000 to $100,000 for trying to determine if a child or other patient lives in a potentially dangerous home setting.

But Marion Hammer, the veteran lobbyist for Unified Sportsmen of Florida, told the committee some doctors are on a crusade against guns. She said some national medical associations urge their members to work for outlawing of privately owned firearms, and that some patients can be intimidated -- even "blacklisted" -- by doctors if they refuse to disclose legal firearms ownership.

Representatives of surgical, general practice, pediatrics and psychological medical groups said all personal medical data is kept strictly confidential. The doctors said they need to be able to advise patients on exposure to firearms in the home, and to tell each other about conditions affecting patients referred between practices.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Good, that's not anybody's business whether or not you have a firearm in your house. I can't believe there even has to be a discussion over this.

I think if a doctor asked me that question, I'd say, "I only use my guns in other peoples' homes" just to spite them.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Doctors asked that when my dad became suicidal after his diagnosis of Alzheimers. So in some cases, I have no problems with doctors asking about guns. It prompted my mom to give us kids dad's guns and his cannon.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Doctors asked that when my dad became suicidal after his diagnosis of Alzheimers. So in some cases, I have no problems with doctors asking about guns. It prompted my mom to give us kids dad's guns and his cannon.

~Amy
In a case like your talking about the Doc. would be exempt from that law! What it's aimed at is Doctors asking for no legit reason!