Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 02-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Rather than face girl, Iowa HS wrestler defaults

I really admire this young man's strength to stand by his morals.

Quote:
DES MOINES, Iowa -- An Iowa high school wrestler who was one of the favorites to win his weight class defaulted on his first-round state tournament match rather than face one of the first girls to ever qualify for the event.

Joel Northrup, a home-schooled sophomore who was 35-4 wrestling for Linn-Mar High this season, said in a statement that he doesn't feel it would be right for him to wrestle Cedar Falls freshman Cassy Herkelman. Herkelman, who was 20-13 entering the tournament, and fellow 112-pounder Ottumwa sophomore Megan Black, who was 25-13, made history by being the first girls to qualify for the state tournament. Black was pinned quickly in her opening round match.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," wrote Northrup. "As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

There were several thousand fans on hand Thursday at Wells Fargo Arena, but many were watching other matches when the referee raised Herkelman's hand to signal her win. There was a smattering of cheers and boos from the crowd before Herkelman was whisked into the bowels of the arena.

Tournament organizers declined to make Herkelman available for questions. Her next match is Friday.

In a text message to The Associated Press, her father, Bill Herkelman, said he understands Northrup's decision.

"It's nice to get the first win and have her be on the way to the medal round," Bill Herkelman wrote. "I sincerely respect the decision of the Northrup family especially since it was made on the biggest stage in wrestling. I have heard nothing but good things about the Northrup family and hope Joel does very well the remainder of the tourney."

Linn-Mar athletics director Scott Mahmens said the school would not penalize Northrup for defaulting. Because he defaulted and didn't forfeit, Northrup is eligible to compete in consolation rounds. Black will also compete in the consolation rounds.

Wrestling is hugely popular in Iowa, and this is the first time girls have qualified for the state tournament, which began in 1926.

According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, just more than 6,000 girls competed in wrestling in 2009-10 -- compared with nearly 275,000 boys. Though most states require girls to wrestle boys, California, Hawaii and Texas now sponsor girls-only high school wrestling tournaments.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 PM
billwilliams70

I don't.

If he really feels that wrestling is a violent sport, then maybe he should just remove himself from wrestling. If it's about religion, then why do his religious beliefs make it okay for him to participate in the 'violent combat sport' of high school wrestling?

Later.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
I don't.

If he really feels that wrestling is a violent sport, then maybe he should just remove himself from wrestling. If it's about religion, then why do his religious beliefs make it okay for him to participate in the 'violent combat sport' of high school wrestling?

Later.
I didn't say I agreed with his morals, just that I was impressed by his strength to stand by them. It's not often that a high schooler is able to resist the pressures around him like this, especially on such a public stage.

IMO, I think that these 2 girls breaking into the state tourney is a good thing. For years I've said that the LPGA, WNBA, etc. is just as sexist has having white & black bathrooms was racist. Let them make their way in the same league as the guys. If they're good enough to compete, they're good enough to compete, end of story.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I didn't say I agreed with his morals, just that I was impressed by his strength to stand by them. It's not often that a high schooler is able to resist the pressures around him like this, especially on such a public stage.

IMO, I think that these 2 girls breaking into the state tourney is a good thing. For years I've said that the LPGA, WNBA, etc. is just as sexist has having white & black bathrooms was racist. Let them make their way in the same league as the guys. If they're good enough to compete, they're good enough to compete, end of story.
Gotcha, misread your first line.

I retract my statement towards you, but the jist of it still applies to anyone who thinks that his morals are straight.

Later.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Chris F

I think he did the irght thing. Men have no business wreslting girls till they are married
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
I think he did the irght thing. Men have no business wreslting girls till they are married
Hahaha. TBH, that was the direction I originally thought his remarks were going to take.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Hahaha. TBH, that was the direction I originally thought his remarks were going to take.
Premarital wrestling is the leading cause of teenage pregnancy
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I don't like that. She earned the right to go there and compete against the best (he is a favorite to win the state championship) in the state and he took that away from her. Guess I view it differently than others.

On another note, Joel won his second match!

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcaonline...ournamentID=65

http://www.nwcaonline.com/nwcaonline...ar=0&ID=963182
Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 PM
County Mike

I would've whooped her butt and moved on with no remorse. Maybe even administered a purple nurple during the match.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I would've whooped her butt and moved on with no remorse. Maybe even administered a purple nurple during the match.