Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
ufcfan2

Default muscle endurance

Been lookin at ways to improve muscle endurance(especially legs/chest) to improve bjj class/kickboxing...
*do alot of squats in between rounds and my legs just dont have the endurance..
*my chest muscles get stupidly tired quick during BJJ class....
I've been gettin tired of the usual lifting weights or the normal lifting..I've been trying to add different types of routines,but can't seem to find websites that are clear about various routines..
*core routines
*full body
I only workout 2-3x a week,I've been tryin in past couple of weeks to finish the workout with(wall squats or lunges and pushups or planks to burn those weak muscles)..
*started today of doing circuit training for the muscles Im working out...example today back-abs-sho continuously until I finished...then did some knee lifts,hip flexability drills(for bjj),and some push-ups....
Old 05-16-2010, 04:41 PM
County Mike

There's a good chance it's your smaller or stability muscles that are fatiguing first. Your larger muscles could be fine. Try stability workouts like rings, push ups on a medicine ball, etc. Use dumbells instead of barbells. See if that helps.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Try Caveman training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G61d0feaIg - Sean Sherk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tWm_CANid0 - Brock Lesnar
Old 05-16-2010, 11:13 PM
logrus

You have to force your muscles to get stronger during the fatigue factor of your training. The best way to do this is the utilize dumbbell style lifting Like Mike said.

Take chest for example, there are main muscles at play, but then there are secondary muscles, stabilizers and so on. One trick is to do dumbbell bench, but keep the one dumbbell extended while the other side does its rep, then it holds at the top while the otherside does its rep. By doing this your focusing all types of muscles to keep that weight stable.

You can really do a lot of other movements with the same idea. On things like cable work on your last rep when the weight want to go back down force yourself to not let it go down. Like bicep curls, after your last contraction on your way down hold it at the half way point and dont give in to the weight wanting to continue down.

Diet is another thing you have to look at very closely, supplements, foods, hydration all play a factor.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 AM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
There's a good chance it's your smaller or stability muscles that are fatiguing first. Your larger muscles could be fine. Try stability workouts like rings, push ups on a medicine ball, etc. Use dumbells instead of barbells. See if that helps.
I've been doin more pushups the past week or two,but will try it using medicine ball...To be honest I'm not sure what the 'rings' are? Far as benching Ive been pretty much just doin machines,but have been getting back into dumbells the past week..
Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 PM
County Mike

By "rings" I mean the gymnastic style rings. They're not cheap but some gyms have them. Do pull-ups, push-ups, flys, dips, etc. on rings instead of the stable equipment and you'll see how much harder they are. If you browse you-tube you can probably find several rings workouts. I bought a pair and love using them. Definitely a tougher workout but great results.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:34 AM
gymcoach97

Focus on strength and power. Do interval training for anaerobic endurance.

That's what you need.

"Caveman" training and all of that other crap is either a) for variety or b) for the cameras.

Look at Rich Franklin's old routine when he did the circuit stuff on the UFC All-Access show. Guess what? Rich Franklin has a new strength coach. He's not using that guy that was in the All-Access anymore. That type of circuit training was not focused on strength & power.

Here's the problem with just doing circuit stuff - is it difficult? Absolutely. But, is it intense enough? Not even close. It can't be - because of fatigue due to the duration. You can't work with weights heavy enough to bring about the necessary level of intensity.

The very definition of intensity from a purely strength sense is measured by one's % of 1-RM. Well, if you're fatigued, you obviously can function at a high percentage of your 1-RM. The focus should be on developing power and "power endurance" (not a real term in classic exercise physiology texts). But, definitely something that can be trained and/or developed in a round-about way.

Power = force x velocity. You develop the force component via pure strength development. Focusing on the speed of the movement completes the velocity component.

My friend and his colleague are doing a presentation at the National Strength & Conditioning Association conference in July in Orlando, Florida. (I have had the opportunity to view the "trial run" of the presentation twice already.)

They only found 4 research papers that dealt specifically with the physiology of MMA fighting. So, they had to pull research that dealt with wrestling, judo, tae kwon do, karate, kickboxing, muay thai, etc. and ended up reviewing over 1700. What they found was that those individuals who showed greater strength and power were most successful in all of these other areas.

So, you're all saying - well, duh?

So, why is everybody doing all of this circuit training crap?

Guys, look at GSP in the Countdown show that was on before his fight with Dan Hardy. Did you watch him doing Olympic lifts? Advanced plyo work? sprint work? I think that these things develop power if I'm not mistaken?

Highest power outputs - Olympic lifting. I can show you that via biomechanical research. Of course, these are highly technical lifts and most people do them wrong, so they probably aren't maximizing their power output.

What Dan Hardy was doing was definitely a good approach as well. (Weighted trap/hex bar deadlift jumps) He was being helped by Joe DeFranco, who's a prominent strength coach in his own right. He doesn't do Olympic lifts due to the complexity and prefers a modified Westside System adapted to athletes that emphasizes dynamic effort (power development) coupled with max strength. That's fine. And, for some folks, Olympic lifting may not be the best option due to a host of factors - injury history, body size/stature/dimensions, etc.

But, at the end of the day - train for strength & power and do interval work that will maximize anaerobic endurance. This will more mimic the intermittent type of activity in MMA, grappling, boxing, kickboxing, etc. It will train the appropriate energy system while teaching the muscles to generate and develop force rapidly and explosively.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

On his website Stew Smith talk's a little about Muscle endurance! From what I understand his trianing tends to be geared toward aceing military fitness test. I've read some of his stuff and I am a long way from being able to follow it. In case your wondering he say's Powerlifting/Football type trianing is counter prductive to the kind of endurance you need in the Military.
I find some intresting reading on his site but I don't trian!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 AM
logrus

Why did we revive a yr old thread?