Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 03-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Black Mamba

Default WAMMA's inaugural female rankings

WAMMA today released the organization's inaugural female rankings, and top fighters Gina Carano (7-0), Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (6-1), Tara LaRosa (16-1) and Megumi Fuji (16-0) have been officially recognized as the world's No. 1-ranked women combatants.

WAMMA's initial efforts include top-10 rankings in the bantamweight (115.1-125 pounds), super bantamweight (125.1-135 pounds), and featherweight (135.1-145 pounds) weight classes.

Carano and Santos were announced as the co-No. 1 fighters of the featherweight division in the release from WAMMA.

"Female MMA has experienced tremendous growth in recent years but many of the sport's top women athletes are still being overlooked," stated WAMMA Rankings Committee Chair Sam Caplan. "With these rankings, WAMMA hopes to help bring greater awareness to the depth that exists in female MMA. We also hope that these rankings are used to create championships in multiple weight classes, which will in turn create bigger opportunities for female fighters."

Long considered among the world's best, LaRosa was awarded the No. 1 spot in the super bantamweight division, while Japanese star Fuji was voted as the top-ranked woman at bantamweight.

While WAMMA currently recognizes Fedor Emelianenko and Shinya Aoki as its heavyweight and lightweight champions, respectively, on the men's side of the sport, the organization's lack of commitment from the UFC has lead to widespread questioning of the legitimacy of both the rankings and the belt.

WAMMA should not immediately face the same dilemma in the women's rankings, and WAMMA CEO Michael Lynch pointed to the shared No. 1 ranking by Carano and Santos as a clear-cut opportunity for the group to award its first female world title.

"I had a strong feeling that Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg would be ranked in the top two spots in the 145-pound weight class in WAMMA's debut rankings," Lynch stated. "However, I was very surprised to see that WAMMA's pollsters were collectively torn when it came time to determine a No. 1-ranked fighter. I think it goes without saying that female MMA would gain a tremendous boost if a match was signed to determine the clear cut number one female featherweight fighter in the world."

Santos will next compete for Strikeforce against WAMMA's No. 7-ranked super bantamweight Hitomi Akano. Carano is rumored to be fighting for the organization in May, and the two have been linked together for a possible showdown in late summer or fall 2009.

The full rankings are currently posted on WAMMA's official website. The committee will update the rankings on a monthly basis.
http://www.gowamma.com/Rankings
Old 03-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Cyborg is a dude and will mutilate Gina
Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
Cyborg is a dude and will mutilate Gina

I think Santos may very well be a man....

But I think Gina will get her a good run for her money.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker

But I think Gina will get her a good run for her money.
i hope, it would be good for ratings. or at least not get her face messed up too much. she has more to lose.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 AM

Well, I went and found some pictures of her...she definitely has strong features and very muscular (more so than what I've see on Gina and other fight girls).

Those hands of hers sure look like they could into another world.

I don't like seeing when the girls hit each other in the face.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie

me neither. i prefer them in triangles and guard.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 AM
mikthehick

They should show these on tv for sure, Gina wins by TKO for sure next time.

But then again, thats just a biased opinion
Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 AM
Miss Foxy

Gina is my girl!!! Oh shes so gorgeous!!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Stump Rules!

That's what I thought too Bonnie, until I saw it. Then I was like " KILL THAT BITCH!" Now that I think about it, so was Boomer . We went and saw Robbie fight last summer and two chicks were fighting. I forget who. I don't follow chick fighters but one of them Josh Barrnett was cornering and as I was coming out of the girls bathroom Josh was blocking the door so no one else could get in cause his chick fighter was in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
That's what I thought too Bonnie, until I saw it. Then I was like " KILL THAT BITCH!" Now that I think about it, so was Boomer . We went and saw Robbie fight last summer and two chicks were fighting. I forget who. I don't follow chick fighters but one of them Josh Barrnett was cornering and as I was coming out of the girls bathroom Josh was blocking the door so no one else could get in cause his chick fighter was in there
Is that when you stole a hair sample & started trying to clone him?