Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Default BLOG: Training with Penn

From Matt's blog:

Quote:
FIrst off I want to say Happy Valentine's to everybody and especially to my loving wife, Audra Marie Hughes. Without her where would I be???

Hanna and I just got back from a pretty long trip. Thursday the 3rd, we left for Las Vegas to do some stuff for the UFC. Friday I spent the morning with Brock Lesnar and his team at the TUF gym. Then we went straight to the weigh-ins and then Saturday we eventually watched the UFC fights. A good night of fights and I even won another $100 off my buddy Boomer. Which reminds me, it's his birthday today, so Happy Birthday Boomer! We left Vegas on Sunday morning and flew straight to Hawaii. BJ Penn had texted me a couple of weeks ago to see if I had some time to come out and train and get him ready for Fitch. After that initial call I checked my schedule, said I could come and had him send me Fitch's last five fights. BJ gave me first class accommodations all the way through. I think we got some good training in, I'd love to sit here and tell you what we worked on, but I just can't. What I can tell you to do is go to BJPenn.com and there are several videos of us on there. I think most of them will have my little Hanna in there as well. It was a great experience for me, first off I got to train with BJ; I think we would both say that we're a lot alike. And number two, I got to spend some quality time with my daughter. I'm on the road a lot and usually my family is at home. This time I was gone for nine days and got to take my 4 1/2 year old daughter with me. One of the things I liked most is that Hanna will most likely remember everything and it was 1-on-1 time with my girl.

If you just want to go directly to the videos here is a list of them:
MATT AND HANNA HUGHES SHOWING US SOME MOVES
MATT HUGHES MAKES HIS ENTRANCE
GETTING READY TO TRAIN 1
GETTING READY TO TRAIN 2
MATT AND HANNA HUGHES PLAYING WITH THE DOLPHINS
MATT HUGHES TRAINING FOR HIS NEXT FIGHT
LAST DAY OF TRAINING WITH MATT HUGHES

Here's a photo of me and Hanna at the UFC:

I'm sure all of you know I'm hosting a hunting show. The show is called Trophy Hunters TV and it's on the Outdoor Channel. I'm going to start giving a description of each week's show. Here are the air times for this week's episode:

Quote:
Air Dates & Times for 2011
Dec. 27, 2010 through March 27, 2011
Tuesdays, 6:00 PM EST / 5:00 PM CST
Wednesdays, 8:00 am EST / 7:00 am CST
Saturdays, 8:00 pm EST / 7:00 pm CST
Here is the show description for the week:

Quote:
4 WHITETAIL KILLS - IN THIS SECOND PART OF OUR SPECIAL TWO-PART MINI-SERIES, WE PAY TRIBUTE TO THE SOLDIERS HONORED EACH YEAR BY THE SHOW OF SUPPORT, HUNT FOR HEROES.
I don't hunt on every show, but I do narrate every show. When I hunt, I will tell you what weapon I use and anything related to the hunt. When I watch a hunting show, I always like to know what they are using as far as gun, bow, bullet, arrow, broadhead, etc. I just like to know everything they use on the show.

Here is the Bible verse for this week:
Quote:
Submit yourselves to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands ye sinners; (James 4:7-8)
-matt
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Awesome blog, Matt!

WAR HUGHES & WAR PENN!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Miss Foxy

Cool stories!! Thanks Matt for helping Bj with his training and glad you and Hanna had such good daddy/daughter time!!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:09 PM

Hey Matt, that sounds like an amazing stretch of time. We posted all the videos on here as we found them and it was a real treat for us to see you and Hanna having such a great time. Those are definitely memories she'll always cherish.
It's been awesome seeing all the BJ fans getting behind you and all the Hughes fans getting behind BJ. I think you two have some of the most devoted fans in MMA and now we can really support eachother.

[
Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
TheDotComKid

I think its great that Matt was willing to go help out B.J.It says alot about the type of man Matt is...I also think mixing up his training partners is good for Matts motivation and love of the sport.Because everyone knows no matter how much you love your work sometimes it just gets a little stale.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
It's been awesome seeing all the BJ fans getting behind you and all the Hughes fans getting behind BJ. I think you two have some of the most devoted fans in MMA and now we can really support eachother.
THIS!!

+Juan hundred!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
THIS!!

+Juan hundred!
Yup I am a DIE hard fan of both they both got the best!!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Yup I am a DIE hard fan of both they both got the best!!
You are also the most humble person in the world & are willing to make sure everyone knows it!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
rearnakedchoke

great blog matt ... also, awesome that you got to spend some time with the little one ... at 4 and a half, she'll remember every bit of it ... also glad to see BJ getting some real fighters out there to train with him and not just his buddies high fiving him and asking him to jump outta pools and run with rocks under water .... LOL ..

WAR HUUUUUUUUUGHES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:28 PM

Great videos with Hanna, Matt; we really enjoyed them. I'm sure she'll always remember this special time with just you and her.

The show with you and Joey hunting in Texas was a good one.