Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Miss Foxy

Default Vitors response to Andersons win

http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs...tates-anderson

Three days after UFC 126: Silva vs. Belfort, Belfort has talked with reporters about the front kick that landed square on his jaw and ended his night before it really had time to begin.

Here is what Belfort had to say about Silva’s training and the kick that rocked his world (via Tatame.com):

"Look, that kind of kick is very hard to catch, it’s also hard to fit it too, but he did it. He can use this kick, but the way he did is pretty difficult to, but he did it. I believe you only get lucky if you train. He trained and got lucky. But I think it’s something that if he tried to do in ten fights he would only be succeeded once (laughs). He deserved it. I was doing fine on the fight, I was winning it, but I wasn’t lucky to fit that punch, I missed it, that punch on the ground was really powerful. If it hits him… But it didn’t and his kick hit me hard, it was his night, I can’t help it. Everything I promised to do, I did. I didn’t get the win, but it’s part of the sport. I’ll get my chance. We’ll work now so I get it the next time."

With Silva regaining the title of pound-for-pound best fighter on earth after his KO of Belfort in the first round last Saturday, “The Spider” now looks to solidify himself as the greatest fighter of all time. Yushin Okami and Georges St-Pierre are both in talks to fight Silva next, so where does that leave Belfort? Will Belfort even get the chance to fight Silva again? We didn’t really get a chance to see his skills shine in the fight, so hopefully “The Phenom” returns to the Octagon shortly. The question now is, where does he now sit among the UFC Middleweights?

Belfort states that the Silva kick was lucky, and we can probably all agree that luck and timing both play large factors in the sport of MMA, but time and time again we’ve seen Silva dispose of his opponents with seeming ease. So after 13 straight wins in the UFC, I think it’s safe to say there is something more than luck streaming behind Anderson Silva’s strikes.

Last edited by Miss Foxy; 02-08-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Miss Foxy

I absolutely can't stand when people can't accept a loss or if you do you hint around about the luck part of it. Yes lucky things happen to people that train Vitor.. Awesome!! That could have been a lucky strike or sub either way it goes down as a loss!!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 PM

I think what Vitor meant was that kicks like that are lucky and the harder and better you train the luckier you get.

[
Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I think what Vitor meant was that kicks like that are lucky and the harder and better you train the luckier you get.
He's being passive aggressive...because in the same breath he says But I think it’s something that if he tried to do in ten fights he would only be succeeded once (laughs). He deserved it. I was doing fine on the fight, I was winning it, but I wasn’t lucky to fit that punch,
Too bad for him that the one kick Silva succeeded on was to his face..
Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Funny, just before the fight, I was showing a video clip of his training with Seagal - in that clip, they were practicing that very kick on a wall. Next thing we know, he got a KO with it. There was no luck to it, he practiced that kick and executed it to perfection.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're getting almost as over protective of Anderson as Dave is of Jens! (he's still not around, right? )

Seriously, I think you're being a little quick to take offense. Read these portions of his quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor
I believe you only get lucky if you train...He deserved it. I was doing fine on the fight, I was winning it, but I wasnít lucky to fit that punch, I missed it, that punch on the ground was really powerful. If it hits himÖ But it didnít and his kick hit me hard, it was his night, I canít help it.
It's like Matt always say, "OF course I'm lucky! The harder I work, the luckier I get!" Vitor's not saying it was a lucky punch, he's just saying that it was close until then.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're getting almost as over protective of Anderson as Dave is of Jens! (he's still not around, right? )

Seriously, I think you're being a little quick to take offense. Read these portions of his quote:

It's like Matt always say, "OF course I'm lucky! The harder I work, the luckier I get!" Vitor's not saying it was a lucky punch, he's just saying that it was close until then.
I dont think so my loyalty and over-protectiveness are Hughes, Penn, and Sonnen.
If your gonna say something (vitor) stand by it.. So he's lucky but he trains? And Rockdawg21 has a huge point!! He planned that kick and it worked.. Now that's no luck!! How many times do we read someone is gonna knock someone out and they don't? They either didn't get lucky or they didn't train well..I just speak how I feel and if I am taking offense to backing up Andersons "lucky" kick so be it.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I dont think so my loyalty and over-protectiveness are Hughes, Penn, and Sonnen.
If your gonna say something (vitor) stand by it.. So he's lucky but he trains? And Rockdawg21 has a huge point!! He planned that kick and it worked.. Now that's no luck!! How many times do we read someone is gonna knock someone out and they don't? They either didn't get lucky or they didn't train well..I just speak how I feel and if I am taking offense to backing up Andersons "lucky" kick so be it.
I'd be willing to bet that the interviewer asked Vitor if he thought it was just a lucky kick. I gotta go home, but I'll look into it more later.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the interviewer asked Vitor if he thought it was just a lucky kick. I gotta go home, but I'll look into it more later.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Ok, so it looks like I may have just lost money!

Here's the original question/answer:

Quote:
He had used that kick on the opened training and against Dan HendersonÖ Did you had prepared yourself for that kind of kick or were you caught by surprise?
ē
Look, that kind of kick is very hard to catch, itís also hard to fit it too, but he did it. He can use this kick, but the way he did is pretty difficult to, but he did it. I believe you only get lucky if you train. He trained and got lucky. But I think itís something that if he tried to do in ten fights he would only be succeeded once (laughs). He deserved it. I was doing fine on the fight, I was winning it, but I wasnít lucky to fit that punch, I missed it, that punch on the ground was really powerful. If it hits himÖ But it didnít and his kick hit me hard, it was his night, I canít help it. Everything I promised to do, I did. I didnít get the win, but itís part of the sport. Iíll get my chance. Weíll work now so I get it the next time.
However, here's something that i think is very important to keep in mind:

Quote:
language:Portuguese (Brazil)
That's from the page info on Tatame.com. It's a Brazilian magazine/website, hence the original language for all their posts is Portuguese. This means that everything we're reading is a translation and therefore has lost a lot of it's original flavor and meaning. Just look at the unnaturally narrow vocabulary used by Vitor. It's indicative of a someone using the simplest & most common meanings of a word for ease of translation.

Whatever, this is just my opinion. Foxy, you certainly don't have to agree with me, but I think that Vitor was just saying what Matt, BJ & all other great fighters say when they lose: "Sorry to my fans. I was doing everything I wanted to, but I got caught. He was just the better man tonight."