Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default HUGHES FLIPS FOR PENN

Thanks to Tennessean for finding this...

http://www.bjpenn.com/video/matt-and...hughes-showing
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 AM
SteveT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

that is awesome!!! thanks for sharing that with us

When did Matt start training with BJ or is this something new for BJ's fight down under?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
that is awesome!!! thanks for sharing that with us

When did Matt start training with BJ or is this something new for BJ's fight down under?
I think it's probably to get him ready for Fitch's wrestling and top control. Good for Matt too!
I wonder if the whole family is down there for a little vacation too.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 AM
SteveT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It's great seeing them doing that....just further cements how much of a HOF and champion Matt is by helping BJ out. I have more respect for BJ by him asking Matt to help him with his training for Fitch. Just shows the respect the two of them have for each other.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

There was THIS article from MMAFighting.com that came out the week of their last fight. I wouldn't find it too surprising if BJ turned right around & asked for Matt's help. I'm pretty sure y'all remember THIS interview, too:

Quote:
FO: You will face Matt Hughes at UFC 123 in November. You have fought each other twice and its 1-1 in the series. Is the rivalry with Hughes still as fierce as it ever was?

We are rivals I guess, definitely if you would have asked me six years ago if I liked Matt Hughes I would probably have said no but if you asked me now I would probably say that there’s not - I mean, I have closer friends, we’re not close - but there’s not anything I wouldn’t do for Matt Hughes if he asked me.

Time heals all wounds, time changes things and I have got no animosity towards Matt Hughes whatsoever. What I do have to do is go out and beat the sportsman named Matt Hughes and that’s what I am prepared to do.
Could you imagine what a powerhouse network of gyms would be created if Matt @ the HIT Squad, Pena & Horn @ Elite Utah, Robbie & Bader in AZ & BJ in Hawaii created a fighter exchange program?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Smartest decision (training wise) Bj has made and what an honor for Matt!! I commend his humility and if anyone can help I have ALWAYS said it would be Hughes vicious ground game... Now for all you Bj haters talk now?!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Smartest decision (training wise) Bj has made and what an honor for Matt!! I commend his humility and if anyone can help I have ALWAYS said it would be Hughes vicious ground game... Now for all you Bj haters talk now?!!!!
This is really a dream come true for you, ain't it, Foxy? BJ & Hughes official training partners, therefore bringing BJ under the Can't-Talk-$h!t-About-Matt's-Teammates-on-Matt's-Site Umbrella?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 AM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
This is really a dream come true for you, ain't it, Foxy? BJ & Hughes official training partners, therefore bringing BJ under the Can't-Talk-$h!t-About-Matt's-Teammates-on-Matt's-Site Umbrella?
Lol!! I just admire both of them so very much!! A few years ago we would have never imagined this!! Penn putting his pride aside to be so loyal now to Matt!! And Matt being such a bigger man and helping him!! Just warms my heart to see my favorites together!! I have harassed Bj since his first loss to Edgar to get help from Matt so wish granted and I highly doubt that Penn ever took my advice, but it feels good something I wanted to see happening so I am as happy as a lark!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Lol!! I just admire both of them so very much!! A few years ago we would have never imagined this!! Penn putting his pride aside to be so loyal now to Matt!! And Matt being such a bigger man and helping him!! Just warms my heart to see my favorites together!! I have harassed Bj since his first loss to Edgar to get help from Matt so wish granted and I highly doubt that Penn ever took my advice, but it feels good something I wanted to see happening so I am as happy as a lark!!!
I bet! It feels good to finally allow myself to be a Penn fan after all these years! I've liked him, but felt like it'd be somehow disloyal to Matt to say so. No qualms about that now!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 AM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I bet! It feels good to finally allow myself to be a Penn fan after all these years! I've liked him, but felt like it'd be somehow disloyal to Matt to say so. No qualms about that now!
It was refreshing to have a reason to go onto BJ Penn's website! Plus all the Penn fans on there are stoked seeing Matt helping out BJ.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.