Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs...tates-anderson

Three days after UFC 126: Silva vs. Belfort, Belfort has talked with reporters about the front kick that landed square on his jaw and ended his night before it really had time to begin.

Here is what Belfort had to say about Silva’s training and the kick that rocked his world (via Tatame.com):

"Look, that kind of kick is very hard to catch, it’s also hard to fit it too, but he did it. He can use this kick, but the way he did is pretty difficult to, but he did it. I believe you only get lucky if you train. He trained and got lucky. But I think it’s something that if he tried to do in ten fights he would only be succeeded once (laughs). He deserved it. I was doing fine on the fight, I was winning it, but I wasn’t lucky to fit that punch, I missed it, that punch on the ground was really powerful. If it hits him… But it didn’t and his kick hit me hard, it was his night, I can’t help it. Everything I promised to do, I did. I didn’t get the win, but it’s part of the sport. I’ll get my chance. We’ll work now so I get it the next time."

With Silva regaining the title of pound-for-pound best fighter on earth after his KO of Belfort in the first round last Saturday, “The Spider” now looks to solidify himself as the greatest fighter of all time. Yushin Okami and Georges St-Pierre are both in talks to fight Silva next, so where does that leave Belfort? Will Belfort even get the chance to fight Silva again? We didn’t really get a chance to see his skills shine in the fight, so hopefully “The Phenom” returns to the Octagon shortly. The question now is, where does he now sit among the UFC Middleweights?

Belfort states that the Silva kick was lucky, and we can probably all agree that luck and timing both play large factors in the sport of MMA, but time and time again we’ve seen Silva dispose of his opponents with seeming ease. So after 13 straight wins in the UFC, I think it’s safe to say there is something more than luck streaming behind Anderson Silva’s strikes.
My "beef" with what Belfort said is in bold. How can he really believe he was winning? Neither fighter had really done ANYTHING up to that point. It was over a minute into the fight before anyone even threw a real punch. I don't think that was lost in the translation either.

Later.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
"I was doing fine on the fight, I was winning it,..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
My "beef" with what Belfort said is in bold. How can he really believe he was winning? Neither fighter had really done ANYTHING up to that point. It was over a minute into the fight before anyone even threw a real punch. I don't think that was lost in the translation either.

Later.
It is hard to argue that one, Bill. Maybe, in his mind, up to that point, he feels like he was winning because he hadn't been hit yet.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Correct me if im wrong...but was not the first few mins of the fight made up of Anderson Silva just circling and dancing around...and then when Belfort engaged...being a counter striker, as usual, thats when Silva came into his own??

I was far more sad about Franklin to be honnest
Old 02-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Correct me if im wrong...but was not the first few mins of the fight made up of Anderson Silva just circling and dancing around...and then when Belfort engaged...being a counter striker, as usual, thats when Silva came into his own??

I was far more sad about Franklin to be honnest
To be fair, like Bill said, it was a good minute or more before either of them did anything. A minute or two of non-action must be the trigger point for Anderson to start circling and then watch out!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

The slow start was to be expected. Both men have respect for each other on the feet. Vitor has fast hands with big KO power and Silva is Silva.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
The slow start was to be expected. Both men have respect for each other on the feet. Vitor has fast hands with big KO power and Silva is Silva.
I have no doubt Vitor has respect for Anderson's feet and their KO power.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I don't doubt that either....but it's one thing to believe you were winning the fight when there was actually a fight going on.....when nothing's happening; well, that's a different story.

Later.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

Later.
My friends and I were watching the fight and after about 70 seconds, the first leg kick was thrown and hit Silva's leg. I said "Well, so far, Belfort gets the decision." Aside from that, it was even; I think Vitor's still feeling that face kick.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I don't doubt that either....but it's one thing to believe you were winning the fight when there was actually a fight going on.....when nothing's happening; well, that's a different story.

Later.
agreed
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I have no doubt Vitor has respect for Anderson's feet and their KO power now.
Fixed.