Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post

Yoohoo! Amyyyyy!

This is why I love the MHF.

I see that my avatar is needed.....LOL! However, I am going to abstain from this topic. I've got about a million things going on right now so I am too distracted to properly debate or discuss with any sort of intelligence at the moment.

Cheers to all!

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post

I see that my avatar is needed.....LOL! However, I am going to abstain from this topic. I've got about a million things going on right now so I am too distracted to properly debate or discuss with any sort of intelligence at the moment.

Cheers to all!

~Amy
I commend you for that. But apparently I'm not letting it stop me.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I respectfully disagree, Nate. And I'm going out on a limb here because I don't have a scintilla of the bible knowledge you have.

I don't believe the world is evil, Man can be evil, Satan is evil. The world is a paradise given to us and we have the free will to make our life decisions.
1 John 2:15 (emphasis added):
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Satan is the current ruler of this world according to Jesus Christ:

John 12:31 - "Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out."

John 14:30 - "I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me."

John 16:8-11 (emphasis added) - "And when He [the Holy Spirit] has come, He will convict this world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgement: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgement, because the ruler of this world is judged."

Luke 4:5-6 confirms Satan as the ruler of this world (emphasis added):
Then the devil, taking Him up on a high mountain, showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said to Him, "All this authority I give You, and their glory; for this has been delivered to me, and I give it to whomever I wish."
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
But your truth.. is just as valid as mine.
For it to be TRUTH, that's not possible.

An example: Modern science states that water is composed of 2 molecules of hydrogen and one molecule of oxygen. What if another group of scientists state that water is actually composed of 2 oxygen molecules and one hydrogen molecule? Then another group of people claims that the primary ingredient in water is actually nitrogen, not hydrogen. Still another group claims that water is really made of unicorn tears. So, can they all be right? No, only one of them can be right or they are all wrong.

It's the same with GOD. Some people believe in the personal GOD of the Bible. Some believe in an impersonal "god-force" type of energy that has no direct dealings with people at all. Some believe that GOD resides inside of us and we are all divine. Others believe in no god at all. They can't all be right. If only one of these is right, then it cancels out all the others. It's simple logic.

It's like the statement: "There are no absolutes." That sentence is logically impossible. Either it's false or it's true and it makes itself false by its very existence. In other words, the statement "There are no absolutes" is an absolute, thus it's impossible for it to be true.

Quote:
No, Brother is a fellow human being. Can you show me other wise.. it's been a long while since I read the Bible.. any version...
Not according to the Bible. I'm defining the term in that way. You can redefine the word however you want, but just understand that I'm using the term "brother" (or "sister") to refer to a fellow believer in Jesus Christ, for the purposes of this discussion. I will also use the term "brother" to refer to a sibling that is directly related to a person by genetics or adoption.

Quote:
But you only speak of the evil in the world.. what about the ..(jeeezzzz...I sound like a hippy compared to you)... all the wonderful things.. that man does.. even those not of God....
Isaiah 64:6a
All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;

The term for "filthy" is actually much stronger in the original Hebrew. It's actually closer to "feces soaked" rags. In other words, all of the good deeds that we perform on this earth, if they are not done out of a love for GOD, then they are like rags that have been soaking in a giant bowl of diarrhea - utterly repulsive in GOD's eyes.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 PM

Swear words - this is something I am not sure about and realise I could be wrong but..............

To blaspheme or to swear is to take the Lords name in vain. I now personally cringe when I hear someone say "God damm" or "jesus Christ"

But I found out that this really meant to say you are a Christian or a believer or whatever and your not is too blaspheme - you are using his name as a falsehood and that is what abhorrent to the lord. I think anyway - I learn about this some time ago.

swearing/cussing like you see it - to me is one of the most minor things in the world. I agree sometimes it is vulgar and rude and distasteful but for example

The word "Cunt" Please excuse me but we are all adults, is just the Anglo Saxon word for that part of the anatomy. The French word Vagina was brought in because phonetically it sounded nicer. It quite simply is nothing more than that.

The use of word F*ck, and motherF8cker are now just "fillers", or expression of frustration. I sometimes use these in everyday langauge without actually being aggressive or rude. Do i use them at home or at work, well no. But ultimately it is only word.

Now I guess as it is partly to do with sexual words at least in its origin - from a godly perspective I guess it shouldnt be used but really in its essence I don't see the big deal.

Would god approve of me exclaiming "oh " if I stubbed my toe, probably not but I suspect he is much more concerned with ridding me of my lust, my pride, my greed and selfishness.

Just my take and sorry if anyone is offended by the words.

In answer to the original topic - I think you can politely request to someone but that's about it if they don't respond nicely.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
The moments of beauty in this world are a hint of what GOD originally intended for us before we chose sin and corruption. The things that you list are wonderful, but nowhere near as wonderful as they could have been if mankind hadn't fallen into sin.
I've oftened wondered what things would have been like....if only....
Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 PM

Spirit - it is a hard concept to get your head around. I sure struggled with all being evil and all sin being equal.

Eventually it did make sense. But my advice would be to read the bible again, listen to some sermons and see what you think then.

Jon
Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Administrator

I was looking for this quote earlier in response to the discussion about tolerance, the author is unknown; but it's still a great point especially the last sentence:

Quote:
If we continue to teach our children about tolerance and intolerance rather than good and evil, we will end up with an entire generation that tolerates evil. Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerate society.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Food for thought, Nate.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion View Post
Swear words - this is something I am not sure about and realise I could be wrong but..............

To blaspheme or to swear is to take the Lords name in vain. I now personally cringe when I hear someone say "God damm" or "jesus Christ"

But I found out that this really meant to say you are a Christian or a believer or whatever and your not is too blaspheme - you are using his name as a falsehood and that is what abhorrent to the lord. I think anyway - I learn about this some time ago.

swearing/cussing like you see it - to me is one of the most minor things in the world. I agree sometimes it is vulgar and rude and distasteful but for example

The word "Cunt" Please excuse me but we are all adults, is just the Anglo Saxon word for that part of the anatomy. The French word Vagina was brought in because phonetically it sounded nicer. It quite simply is nothing more than that.

The use of word F*ck, and motherF8cker are now just "fillers", or expression of frustration. I sometimes use these in everyday langauge without actually being aggressive or rude. Do i use them at home or at work, well no. But ultimately it is only word.

Now I guess as it is partly to do with sexual words at least in its origin - from a godly perspective I guess it shouldnt be used but really in its essence I don't see the big deal.

Would god approve of me exclaiming "oh " if I stubbed my toe, probably not but I suspect he is much more concerned with ridding me of my lust, my pride, my greed and selfishness.

Just my take and sorry if anyone is offended by the words. lol

In answer to the original topic - I think you can politely request to someone but that's about it if they don't respond nicely.