Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default Real-time holographic concerts in Japan

And you thought the pop stars in America were manufactured?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXKHcdtHaI

I wonder how long before this kind of thing makes it to the US? I almost never go to concerts; but I would go to one of these just for the technical achievement that it represents.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:50 PM

I guess I don't understand why people would pay money to go to a hologram concert? I'm not knocking it; I just don't understand it...
Old 01-30-2011, 07:05 PM

I find their whole obsession with anime creepy.

Yes, the technology is interesting but the main point of a concert, for me, is to see a live performance.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Administrator

I guess it would be more like going to a movie than an actual concert. So the point is more to see a show than a live performance necessarily.

I could see the applications in the US, especially if they use more realistic looking holograms. Like there would probably be a lot of people who would pay good money to see Elvis in concert, hologram or not. The same would probably apply to Michael Jackson, John Lennon, etc.

However, it's the psychological implications that fascinate me just as much as the technical. It seems that we have an entire subculture of people who are willingly giving up their ability to discern fantasy from reality. When you read stories about Japanese men "marrying" anime characters, then I really do think that these people believe these characters to be real. I've been seeing it creep into Star Wars forums for years now, where fans talk about fictional characters like Darth Vader, Yoda, etc. as if they are actually real people.

When you read in the Bible about the False Prophet creating an "image of the Beast" and giving life to that image (the Bible never implies that the "image of the Beast" is going to be a stone sculpture, which is what a lot of theologians just automatically assume), then this computer-generated hologram technology suddenly has much more chilling consequences.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 AM

Imagine when the technology becomes such that you can have a private at home concert from your favorite performers.
crazy stuff..

[
Old 01-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Touchable holograms are something that we could see within our lifetimes as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-P1zZAcPuw
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
Imagine when the technology becomes such that you can have a private at home concert from your favorite performers.
crazy stuff..
I could imagine that this technology is incredibly expensive right now, but just look at how far personal computer technology has advanced in the last 35 years and your idea suddenly doesn't seem so far fetched:

1975 IBM 5100, 64 KB hard drive = $20,000 ($78,863.72 in 2011 dollars):

2010 iPod Touch 30,000,000 KB (30 GB) hard drive = $300 ($76.08 in 1975 dollars):

Sooooo, if you could have a "live" concert in your home from any entertainer, living or dead, who would it be?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
However, it's the psychological implications that fascinate me just as much as the technical. It seems that we have an entire subculture of people who are willingly giving up their ability to discern fantasy from reality. When you read stories about Japanese men "marrying" anime characters, then I really do think that these people believe these characters to be real.
Yes, that is specifically what I find so creepifying, Nate.

Fanatics of all stripes can get carried away. I think it's the same phenomenon that draws people to cults.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I could imagine that this technology is incredibly expensive right now, but just look at how far personal computer technology has advanced in the last 35 years and your idea suddenly doesn't seem so far fetched:

1975 IBM 5100, 64 KB hard drive = $20,000 ($78,863.72 in 2011 dollars):

2010 iPod Touch 30,000,000 KB (30 GB) hard drive = $300 ($76.08 in 1975 dollars):

Sooooo, if you could have a "live" concert in your home from any entertainer, living or dead, who would it be?
Mozart, followed closely by Jimmy Page. How about you, Nate?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Mozart, followed closely by Jimmy Page. How about you, Nate?
It would have to be someone who we have actual photographs of, otherwise I'll know it's just a artist's recreation. So I guess a pre-plastic-surgery Tori Amos or a young Johnny Cash. I guess this would also make it possible to view a "live" performance from fictional characters as well; so I'd also pick the Cantina Band from Star Wars, they'd just have to come up with some new material and not just play the same two songs over and over again: