Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default With one fight left on UFC contract, Matt Hughes unsure about his MMA future

From MMATorch.com. They've got some of the most pro-Hughes articles around, IMO.

Quote:
UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes has one fight remaining on his contract with the UFC, and though the 37-year-old plans on fulfilling that final fight by the middle of 2011, his future in the sport after that fight is up in the air.

"I don't know if I'll sign another contract with the UFC," Hughes said this week, in comments made to ESPN's Josh Gross.

Hughes says the UFC isn't his top priority right now, but he hasn't ruled out fighting on after his next fight depending on the outcome.

"I would have to talk to my wife. I'd have to talk to Dana. I wouldn't call it a retirement," Hughes said. "It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for me to fight two or three times. I have said I'm going to fight one more time for the last three fights. I meant it. I really have."

Hughes had won three straight fights prior to the loss to Penn in November, including two wins in 2010. When he returns later this year, the longtime UFC Welterweight Champion will be out to pick up his 19th win inside the Octagon during a career that has spanned over 13 years.

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: Despite the quick loss to Penn, Hughes can continue to compete. His wins last year proved as much, especially the submission over Ricardo Almeida in August. Depending upon who the UFC matches him up against, I think he'll get that 19th win in the UFC, and if that happens I think he'll look to get #20 as well. Unless he suffers a second consecutive devastating loss, I think we'll see him at least a couple more times in the Octagon.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM

I agree with Pennick's analysis. Matt is still a force to be reckoned with and I hope he chooses to stay a while longer.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Miss Foxy

Whatever Matt's decision is I will fully support him and his legacy... I would love to see him around, but the champ knows whats best for him and his family. He has and always will be my #1.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
He has and always will be my #1.
Yeah, same here, Miss Foxy.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Yeah, same here, Miss Foxy.
Over any of em! Penn,Sonnen, and my whole roster of fighters!! Matt is the reason I fell in love with mma. He supercedes em' all!!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 PM

I support whatever Matt and his family decide.

[
Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I support whatever Matt and his family decide.
Ditto
Old 01-29-2011, 01:19 AM
3dlee

I agree with everyone in that I will support Matt's decision 100 percent. But I also cant lie and say that it wont take a lot out of my mma fandom when he retires. I whole heartedly believe Matt can have another run at the title. He won 3 in a row and then dropped 1 fight. Id love to see Matt pick up another 3 in a row against top competition and then go for a title fight in 2012. I think Matt could beat GSP again, but if GSP moves up to MW like is being speculated, I certainly see Matt having his 10th WW title.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlee View Post
I whole heartedly believe Matt can have another run at the title. He won 3 in a row and then dropped 1 fight. Id love to see Matt pick up another 3 in a row against top competition and then go for a title fight in 2012. I think Matt could beat GSP again, but if GSP moves up to MW like is being speculated, I certainly see Matt having his 10th WW title.
Exactly.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Matt Hughes: 'I don't know if I'll sign another contract with the UFC'

Quote:
Props: ESPN

Quoteworthy:

"I don't know if I'll sign another contract with the UFC. I would have to talk to my wife. I'd have to talk to Dana. I wouldn't call it a retirement. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for me to fight two or three times. I have said I'm going to fight one more time for the last three fights. I meant it. I really have."

Could this be the end of the long and storied career of Matt Hughes? According to the former welterweight champion, he's unsure of whether or not he wants to sign a new contract with the UFC. With his current deal running out after his next fight, that would mean the powerhouse wrestler is calling it a career, no? He says that's not necessarily the case and he could see himself fighting a few more times. Any competitor in a sport as taxing as MMA would consider hanging up the gloves when they hit the age of 37, but is this talk heavily influenced by his recent knockout at the hands of longtime nemesis B.J. Penn? Or is the timing right for Hughes to ease out of the game? Opinions, Maniacs, if you will.

It's just funny how the same thing can be written 2 ways... One make it sound like Matt is ready to be done.... another hints at just not fighting for the UFC...

Can you imagine Matt fighting under a different banner... All indications are that Matt and Dana are tight... what would Dana be like if Matt fought for Strikeforce... granted the competition would be as good.... But as much as I like Dana.. I wouldn't put it past him to toss a friend under the UFC bus...

EDIT - granted the competition wouldn't be as good....

Last edited by Spiritwalker; 01-29-2011 at 04:54 AM.