Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I agree with others that I see Russia collapsing before the U.S would.

Nate, the next (below) is really a ? and then food for thought.

I thought that that's what they (the military) want to do when you join up--to break you down, strip you of "self" and "thinking on your own" because they want you to follow orders.

I'd like to think that if given orders that were "unlawful" soldiers would not proceed or follow through with them. BUT, what if they were given "misinformation" about a situation, in other words, manipulated to act/react by their highter ups. I think history (past and more recent) has shown that people (in high level government) and soldiers will/have committed illegal acts on the orders of their superiors.

Hopefully, nothing like that could/would ever happen on such a scale as to put us in another civil war, but "never say never"...
Well, too many ex-Nazis tried to use the "I was just following orders" excuse to shuffle off responsibility for their crimes. So it simply doesn't work that way anymore.

The misinformation aspect of it is a big danger, but the government would have to convincingly lead our military to believe that the American people are somehow misguided and a threat. From my ten years in the Army, I just don't really see that happening, especially not with a liberal administration in the White House.

The Civil War wasn't about soldier versus civilian, it was about state versus state. A majority of the soldiers fighting in that war were militia. In other words, if you give enough civilians guns and a cause, then you end up with a militia.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
The Civil War wasn't about soldier versus civilian, it was about state versus state. A majority of the soldiers fighting in that war were militia. In other words, if you give enough civilians guns and a cause, then you end up with a militia.
Our newly elected President effectively doubling our deficit (not to mention, failing to keep his promise on "I will go line through line of every bill and remove all earmark spending".) in 6-8 weeks of entering the office could be cause enough.