Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Michael Waltrip to Honor Dale Earnhardt

I dunno how many NASCAR fans we've got around here, but I was just starting to become an Intimidator fan right around the time he passed away. I think it's great to see a friend & teammate honor him like this:

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Michael Waltrip will drive a primarily black No. 15 Toyota in the Daytona 500, the same number he drove to victory in the 2001 race that was marred by the death of car owner and friend Dale Earnhardt.

Waltrip unveiled the car Tuesday to kick off the second day of the NASCAR media tour. The Daytona 500 is Feb. 20.

"It was a real important event for me," Waltrip said as he recalled the 10th anniversary of the race, won in the blue No. 15 Chevrolet for Dale Earnhardt Inc. "Going back to Daytona in 2011 is another chance for me to celebrate Dale's life and the fact that he believed in me like he did."

Waltrip called the 2001 Daytona 500 the best and worst moment of his life, recalling how Earnhardt's fatal crash occurred while blocking for him and DEI teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr. to race for the first points win of his career.

He details that and the rest of his career in his book, "In the Blink of an Eye," which will be released Feb. 1. The title of the book is on the back quarter panel of the car that Waltrip personally designed.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 PM
County Mike

That's pretty cool.

If you are a NASCAR fan, you should also join my office pool.
http://www.EZOfficePool.com
Group: Talladega Knights
Password: gofast
cost: $40 for the whole season.

Do we have a lot of NASCAR fans on this board?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Chris F

It must of cost him a lot of dough to but #15 from DEI. Waltrip is a shell of his former self he should stick to owner and commentator both of which he is also pretty good at. I like Michael a lot but with these new cars of tommorow the days of the better driver always winning are gone. Those cars make it more about who has the most money to invest now.