Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Default The Call by Os Guiness

Has anyone read this or listened to the audiobook? It is truly fantastic for believers who are struggling with their direction in life, particularly when it comes to the question of "Ministry or Career?". It talks about identifying one's gifts and using them where they are instead of the fraudulent idea that each Christian receives a special call in addition to Christ's initial call ("Follow me"). I highly recommend it for those who haven't read it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Has anyone read this or listened to the audiobook? It is truly fantastic for believers who are struggling with their direction in life, particularly when it comes to the question of "Ministry or Career?". It talks about identifying one's gifts and using them where they are instead of the fraudulent idea that each Christian receives a special call in addition to Christ's initial call ("Follow me"). I highly recommend it for those who haven't read it.
I've never read it, but I have heard of it. I've always been under the impression that our careers/jobs are our ministry fields.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I've never read it, but I have heard of it. I've always been under the impression that our careers/jobs are our ministry fields.
And that's how Os explains it. Not every receives the Special Call, as he puts it. He uses William Wilburforce as an example, because he was a "near miss."

Wilburforce, who is famous in Britain for successfully fighting to abolish slavery, came to Christ at 26. Before that he had been the best friend of the current prime minister, and he was essentially slated to become the next one. But after his conversion, he thought that he should become a minister in the church. He spoke to John Newton (the author of "Amazing Grace"), emphatically told him "NO." He had to discover his gifts where he was and use them in the Lord's way.

And it was then that he began a life that would accomplish more for the world in parliament than he would have as a pastor or missionary elsewhere.